Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

I know. Numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Gary the Weasel and the owners might come out smelling like roses in the end as far as their Olympic decision goes.

The IOC just announced today that due to Russia's widespread, state-sponsored doping at the Sochi Olympics, Russia is barred from the Olympic games. Some individual clean Russian athletes may still be allowed to compete, but it will have to be under the IOC's flag.

So, I would imagine that one way or another, there will be no Russian hockey team competing at the 2018 Olympics, which would be a bit of a disaster if NHL players were still going.
    I’ll trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players.” - Conn Smythe

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

If anyone hasn't seen Icarus on Netflix yet, check it out. Its insane what the Russians did in Sochi.

Post Thanks / Like

I applaud them taking a stand on this, especially since it risks blowing up the whole olympics enterprise.
    #FreeTimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    I applaud them taking a stand on this, especially since it risks blowing up the whole olympics enterprise.
    It'll certainly be interesting to see how many independent athletes they let go, and what backlash they get from Russia for this. Sounds like the KHL is going to block any of their players from going and playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    It'll certainly be interesting to see how many independent athletes they let go, and what backlash they get from Russia for this. Sounds like the KHL is going to block any of their players from going and playing.
    That's going to be interesting to watch.

Because unless they KHL somehow extricates itself from the IIHF, they actually don't have a choice: they have to release their players for the Olympics.

But even if the KHL does *officially* allow their non-Russian players to go...if you're a non-Russian earning a fat paycheque playing for a Russian-based KHL team...you'd probably be wise to keep your mouth shut, and take a pass on the Olympics.
    I’ll trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players.” - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

heh. there were rumours Kovalchuk stayed in part hoping to play in the Olympics...

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Luongo hurt, so the first thing I'm thinking is...trade?
    Got some goalies, don't know what they have, but supposedly this is a long-term thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedsblue&white View Post
    Luongo hurt, so the first thing I'm thinking is...trade?
    Got some goalies, don't know what they have, but supposedly this is a long-term thing.
    they signed Reimer for this eventuality

Post Thanks / Like

Edmonton...bad
    Pres. Shanahan: “The challenge here in Toronto is not to come up with the plan; the challenge in Toronto is to stick to it.”
    Coach Babcock: "I never came here to make the playoffs, I came here to be involved in a cup process"
    Playoffs don't matter. Championships do.
    ---
    Hoping for a new movie: "Fanhome to FI - a life journey!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SENSible View Post
    Derp

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    Haven't seen one of these in a while. How's the rebuild coming along?
    #fireleointothesun

Post Thanks / Like

I love how the media's are all backpedalling from their early season prediction of the Oil being favorite to win the West to trying to explain what happens in Edmonton ... meanwhile the Oil keeps losing without any significant injury either.

At least the Habs had an injured #1G (and as soon as he's back they start winning again)

Post Thanks / Like

They replaced their 3rd best forward with a plug so they had already taken a hit in forward quality before the season even started, but I don't blame the media for considering oil change to be pretty good going into the season (I don't know if I see the argument for them winning the west, but nothing close to this bad).

Other than that, the key differences between this year and last are Klefbom going from a top pairing defender to a plug (I think he'll figure it out...but maybe not this season), Sekera being hurt (they don't have a lot of natural puck moving talent on that blueline) and Talbot going from an average plus starter to being turrible (and now hurt), with that being the single biggest factor.

It does show the lack of depth in the organization (which has to be called a feature of the Chiaplan, not a bug...) that a few poor performances and injuries to key players has turned them into a lottery team again. If we had traded JVR for a plug, Rielly had taken a step back, Jake was hurt, and Freddy was rocking a .905 (and then hurt)...we wouldn't be near the top of the conference, but we wouldn't be talking about Dahlin potentially wearing a Leaf jersey either.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've been down on Oil change about as much as anybody, but I never would have called them being comfortably in the league basement at this point of the season. I figured the disconnect between the pre-season prognostications is that they'd be a middle-of-the-pack team, rather than the top-of-the-conference, Cup finalist they were widely predicted to be.

Like you say though, they have so little depth at pretty much every position that a few slumps, regressions & injuries is pretty much all it took to move them from the middle-of-the-pack to the basement.

Post Thanks / Like

McDavid has two goals in ten games. Oilers rely too much on him to be able to handle that.
    Pres. Shanahan: “The challenge here in Toronto is not to come up with the plan; the challenge in Toronto is to stick to it.”
    Coach Babcock: "I never came here to make the playoffs, I came here to be involved in a cup process"
    ---

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTheBigPicture View Post
    McDavid has two goals in ten games. Oilers rely too much on him to be able to handle that.
    Sure, but he has 11 points in those 10 games....if that isn't good enough, they're ****ed.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

now, just imagine what the Oilers would look like without McDavid...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Tkachuk will get a game.
    ---

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward DP View Post
    now, just imagine what the Oilers would look like without McDavid...
    I prefer to imagine what the Habs would look like with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm View Post
    I prefer to imagine what the Habs would look like with him.
    that's just mean... to yourself...

Page 48 of 54 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast