• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it seems like business as usual for the Habs. its no secret how heavily they rely on Price. When he is slumping/injured they just don't have the talent to compete. When he is on he is a good enough goalie to lead the team to a 100 point season.

I'm just glad the Leafs finally did the rebuild right so they aren't like the Habs/Sens, or Sundin Leafs and waste the prime years of a legit franchise changing player.

Last edited:
This D is terrible though. Price may be great but he's not superhuman. Bergevin actually said openly that he thought this D is better than last year's. The guy is on crack.

Last edited:
To me it seems like business as usual for the Habs. its no secret how heavily they rely on Price. When he is slumping/injured they just don't have the talent to compete. When he is on he is a good enough goalie to lead the team to a 100 point season.

Meh... there's a massive chasm between .920+ goaltending and the .890 tending we've been getting. Oh yeah and the 2% shooting isn't helping.

I wish they were "this bad." Then I could just hope for some lottery luck. As it is, their PDO will normalize and they will start winning and end up as a bubble team.

Meh... there's a massive chasm between .920+ goaltending and the .890 tending we've been getting. Oh yeah and the 2% shooting isn't helping.

I wish they were "this bad." Then I could just hope for some lottery luck. As it is, their PDO will normalize and they will start winning and end up as a bubble team.

well sure they aren't a 35 point team. Even the Avs had 48 points last year, and usually the worst team is in the 60/70s.

There is a massive chasm between a 35 point team and a bubble team though.

On the upside for you guys, "tanking" and finishing right at the bottom ain't what it used to be with the way the new lottery system is set up. The statistical difference between 2nd last and merely bottom-10 is negligible.

Even when the Habs finished 9th from the bottom in 2016, they came frighteningly close to winning the Matthews lottery.

This D is terrible though. Price may be great but he's not superhuman. Bergevin actually said openly that he thought you'd D is better than last year's. The guy is on crack.

Yeah he really ****ed that D. Subban-Sergachev-Mete with Markov in the twilight would have been a real solid, mobile, skilled D.

Bergevin wanted his character shutdown guys though. Because thats how he won in Chicago? Doesn't make sense.

It just seems weird that this board was sooooo insistent that advanced stats were the best way to judge a team when the Habs were winning divisions and and the Leafs were sucking. Now the Leafs are winning and the Habs are losing and all the advanced stats in the world mean nothing.

I'm just glad the Leafs finally did the rebuild right so they aren't like the Habs/Sens, or Sundin Leafs and waste the prime years of a legit franchise changing player.

I mean we say this, but they really only ever tried to "do the rebuild right" for one year, and hit the jackpot.

It just seems weird that this board was sooooo insistent that advanced stats were the best way to judge a team when the Habs were winning divisions and and the Leafs were sucking. Now the Leafs are winning and the Habs are losing and all the advanced stats in the world mean nothing.

Which ones are you looking at?

I've said the Habs should make the playoffs this year, but we're talking about a habs team that's currently 15th in adjusted xGF% 5v5, and 17th at ES.

They don't have the advanced stats they had last year.

I mean we say this, but they really only ever tried to "do the rebuild right" for one year, and hit the jackpot.

Nah. They sucked for 10 years and kept picking skill player after skill player. Whether it started off intentionally or not. Kadri, Reilly, Nylander, Marner. Matthews was the jackpot, but so were Karlsson and Price. They just never had the rest of it.

The Leafs sucked and loaded up on the most talented players they could find in the draft for years.

Which ones are you looking at?

I've said the Habs should make the playoffs this year, but we're talking about a habs team that's currently 15th in adjusted xGF% 5v5, and 17th at ES.

They don't have the advanced stats they had last year.

Oh those are the ones we're using now?

SAT Habs are 6th
SAT 5v5 the Habs are 5th
PDO Habs are 31st

Those things add up to the Habs have been playing well.

Do they though. The Habs are a bottom 10 team in all the ShotAgainst categories. They are just shooting alot. But evidently do not have the skill to actually create high quality chances and score enough to outweigh the awful defense.

Yeah he really ****ed that D. Subban-Sergachev-Mete with Markov in the twilight would have been a real solid, mobile, skilled D.

Bergevin wanted his character shutdown guys though. Because thats how he won in Chicago? Doesn't make sense.

I don't lament Sergachev cause Drouin should be very good for a long time... but the rest, yes.

Markov - Subban
Mete - Petry

That's a solid top 4 that can move the puck. With any luck Markov would have been more than serviceable for the next couple years while we try to replace him. Maybe Juulsen is that guy or maybe we find him elsewhere.

Bergevin's a moron.

Nah. They sucked for 10 years and kept picking skill player after skill player. Whether it started off intentionally or not. Kadri, Reilly, Nylander, Marner. Matthews was the jackpot, but so were Karlsson and Price. They just never had the rest of it.

The Leafs sucked and loaded up on the most talented players they could find in the draft for years.

But "deciding to rebuild properly" indicates intent. THey weren't trying to rebuild for most of that time.

Oh those are the ones we're using now?

SAT Habs are 6th
SAT 5v5 the Habs are 5th
PDO Habs are 31st

Those things add up to the Habs have been playing well.

eh don't imply that I've changed my mind. I've been using xgf for a while now, ever since corsica made it easy to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back