• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he wants more than $10m, I don’t want him anyway, and it wouldn’t work because then you’d have to give Matty the same amount.

If he really wants to come and win with his boyhood team, he’ll have to make a sacrifice. In fact, they all will. It wouldn’t surprise me if management tried to negotiate him with the big 3 all at once and pitch the possibilities of the four of them on one team.

Tavares going UFA, you have to kick all the tires, and hard. He’s the missing piece. He’s the one thing we don’t already have in the system coming up or that we can’t just acquire another of elsewhere.

Show me a situation in any cap world where a team has signed a 10-12M FA C when they already have a number 1C

The Pens had no problem signing two number one centers for fair market value on a much lower cap. Hell the two best number 1 centers. There are few better uses of cap dollars.

The bigger impediment is finding two top centers.

Meh, Tavares doesn't rely on his speed. He produces in spite of not being "fast." I don't fear him rapidly declining. Think Joe Thornton.

I doubt he comes to Montreal, because that would be too awesome. If I'm trying to convince myself that he will though... adding Tavares to the Habs would instantly improve them significantly. We have the cap space to pay him $10m+ too.

I bet he re-signs with the Isles though.

Tavares' game was never based on speed so that shouldn't be an issue. That said forwards offensive peaks are between 22 and 28. So Tavares' best years are likely behind him.

Even a guy like Thornton was past his prime at 30. Still a great player that any team would want. But no more competing for Art Ross Trophies.

That said if you can add a guy like that for just money you do it. Hossa wasn't scoring 50 goals and 100 points for the Hawks, but he was an extremely important addition.

Show me a situation in any cap world where a team has signed a 10-12M FA C when they already have a number 1C
On the flip-side, show me an elite UFA that decided to leave their current situation to be the saviour for a basket-case team.

That's the kind of thing Leaf fans were constantly desperate for during the Leafs' decade of darkness, but predictably, it never happened. Because if the money's the same either way, who wants to leave their current home to inherit the pressure to turn around a Montreal, Vancouver or Detroit?

On the flip-side, show me an elite UFA that decided to leave their current situation to be the saviour for a basket-case team.

That's the kind of thing Leaf fans were constantly desperate for during the Leafs' decade of darkness, but predictably, it never happened. Because if the money's the same either way, who wants to leave their current home to inherit the pressure to turn around a Montreal, Vancouver or Detroit?

If the Isles weren't such a tire fire i'd have it at almost 100% that he would be staying.

The Pens had no problem signing two number one centers for fair market value on a much lower cap. Hell the two best number 1 centers. There are few better uses of cap dollars.

The bigger impediment is finding two top centers.

They kept 2 of their own, completely different.

So, you want him bad, have to kick the tires super hard, is the missing piece but you don't want to pay him what he's worth.

This boyhood team shit hasn't happened since they got a 36 year old Gary Roberts with a bad back. It is not a thing.

If the Isles weren't such a tire fire i'd have it at almost 100% that he would be staying.
I still think he'll stay with the Isles, after taking the time to hear pitches from other teams.

But if he does leave, I seriously doubt he'll choose to go to another tire fire.

I would actually have San Jose right behind the Isles and Rangers as a logical spot.

They let Joe go after his injury, and bring John into their still good core.

Thornton is the guy the Leafs should be considering to replace Bozak, on a 2 year deal to run out with Marleau

I still think he'll stay with the Isles, after taking the time to hear pitches from other teams.

But if he does leave, I seriously doubt he'll choose to go to another tire fire.

I agree, Rangers could be the exception though.

As i said i like the Sharks a lot too, and maybe Avs/Nucks

I would actually have San Jose right behind the Isles and Rangers as a logical spot.

They let Joe go after his injury, and bring John into their still good core.

Thornton is the guy the Leafs should be considering to replace Bozak, on a 2 year deal to run out with Marleau
I'm not so sure I'd want Jumbo at that price. He landed a very ludicrous deal with SJ, and I don't think he's done all that much for the Sharks. Considering TO did offer him the deal last summer, and he turned it down, I just don't know if I'd want him in TO for next 2 seasons, especially considering his age.

Its exactly the same. They have paid two elite centers for 10 years now. Clearly its doable, even ideal.

The tough part is finding two elite centers.

Keep telling yourself that.

The 2 guys played together and extended together, N2M this was before any player could net over 10M on a contract.

So, you want him bad, have to kick the tires super hard, is the missing piece but you don't want to pay him what he's worth.

This boyhood team shit hasn't happened since they got a 36 year old Gary Roberts with a bad back. It is not a thing.

He's not worth $12M. Pretty much no one is.

If he wants to join the Leafs, just as they enter superpower status, and be the one to take them over the top, he'll have to find a way to live without maximizing his comp to ridiculous levels.

Keep telling yourself that.

The 2 guys played together and extended together, N2M this was before any player could net over 10M on a contract.

When Sid/Malkin signed $9 mill was 15.9% of the cap. Today 15.9% of the cap is $11.9 million. Its the exact same. Two #1 centers earning big money on the same team has 100% happened before in a cap world.

what Are McDonaughs fancy stats? My instinct is that if he’s available they should make a strong push.

When Sid/Malkin signed $9 mill was 15.9% of the cap. Today 15.9% of the cap is $11.9 million. Its the exact same. Two #1 centers earning big money on the same team has 100% happened before in a cap world.

As great as Matthews and Tavares are... they are not Sid and Geno good. Matthews could become Geno, but JT is well short of Sid. You do not want to be paying those guys that much of the cap. Then you have to pay Willie, Mitch and Rielly. That said... if JT wants to play in Toronto, it could be done I'm sure. Even at $11-12m.

I also don't know if the cap will rise as quickly as it did since Sid and Geno signed. Possible... especially with a couple new expansion teams. It still

As great as Matthews and Tavares are... they are not Sid and Geno good. Matthews could become Geno, but JT is well short of Sid. You do not want to be paying those guys that much of the cap. Then you have to pay Willie, Mitch and Rielly. That said... if JT wants to play in Toronto, it could be done I'm sure. Even at $11-12m.

I also don't know if the cap will rise as quickly as it did since Sid and Geno signed. Possible... especially with a couple new expansion teams. It still

Sure, I'm not saying they are as good as Sid and Geno. But if one team can keep the two best centers in the league for top dollar, another team can afford two number 1 centers. Unless you are the Pens or maybe Caps I don't see any team turning away elite centers because they already have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back