• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voynov going to the Habs would be perfect.

It'd make Bergevin's "character" excuse for trading PK Subban even more hilarious.

My take on it is pretty simple. If Lou & Babcock met with him and were comfortable that he had dealt with his demons and was ready to move on as a productive, non spouse abusing human being, I'd be good with trusting their judgement, being the two old school hard asses they are.

Almost everyone deserves the opportunity to redeem themselves.
We're going to have to just fundamentally disagree on this one, I think.

First, I think redemption first requires some admission of wrong-doing and serious attempt at reformation. Which appears to be entirely absent here.

I'm also not really sure what an interview with Lou & Babcock would accomplish when it comes to determining if this guy is still a spouse-beating piece of shit.

And while, after paying for his crime, he may deserve to go on with his life and be a productive member of society in the country where he's a citizen, I don't think he in any way is owed, or "deserves" an opportunity to come back to North America and play in the NHL.

There is no way that he just thought that Weber was better than Subban. The trade was clearly done for non-hockey reasons.

Unless MB is dumber than we actually think....

We're going to have to just fundamentally disagree on this one, I think.

First, I think redemption first requires some admission of wrong-doing and serious attempt at reformation. Which appears to be entirely absent here.

Admission of wrong doing to who though? We weren't the victims here, his wife was. The wife has remained married to him (despite the ability to file for divorce in California) and they've had a child together since.

I'm not owed an apology, she is, and they appear to have gotten through this. Yes I'm aware that it's entirely possible in an abusive relationship for the abused to irrationally protect their abuser and stay with them despite the abuse, but I simply don't know that this is true and nor do I believe that we should just assume that she doesn't have the agency to leave. I find it odd what society finds it acceptable to be paternalistic about and what it doesn't.

I'm also not really sure what an interview with Lou & Babcock would accomplish when it comes to determining if this guy is still a spouse-beating piece of shit.

If pointed questions were asked, and acceptable answers given (with the type of remorse you would accept for those type of actions) and it passed the bullshit detector test of those two, who put character at least on par with skill in the hierarchy of desirable traits out of a hockey player, I'd trust their judgement.

And while, after paying for his crime, he may deserve to go on with his life and be a productive member of society in the country where he's a citizen, I don't think he in any way is owed, or "deserves" an opportunity to come back to North America and play in the NHL.

Professional sports are the ultimate meritocracy imo. You deserve to play there if you're good enough to play there. As long as all of the other legal stuff is correct, I don't think it's the league's job to ensure that everyone playing in their league is a super nice guy that you would let your daughter date.

Don't get me wrong, have conduct policies on ****ing everything. Have conduct policies covering everything you think a professional hockey player should have to do in life to represent the league and the game in the best possible way and enforce those policies. But allow even scumbags a path to redeem themselves. Mandate therapy and treatment, etc, etc to ensure they rehabilitate, but **** this entire urge to tar and feather someone for life to make us feel better about an act that didn't involve us.

A business associate of mine played with and against him in junior. I have never heard him say a bad word about anyone. I ask him about P.K. he says, "hey, he always was talented, good skills, but in the locker room and then he trails off and doesn't complete the statement". Its like taboo for hockey players past and present to say much bad about any ex or present player, or the NHL... They are all terrified of the BEAST. Big time.

They probably think its going to get posted on forumice or something. How silly is that, for them to think that way? Not very in 2018.

A business associate of mine played with and against him in junior. I have never heard him say a bad word about anyone. I ask him about P.K. he says, "hey, he always was talented, good skills, but in the locker room and then he trails off and doesn't complete the statement". Its like taboo for hockey players past and present to say much bad about any ex or present player, or the NHL... They are all terrified of the BEAST. Big time.

They probably think its going to get posted on forumice or something. How silly is that, for them to think that way? Not very in 2018.

Everyone has a coworker that you don't totally get along with.

Man the **** up. Nashville has, and they were the best team in the regular season. Locker room, off the ice, who cares? As long as they aren't breaking laws or doing anything immoral, the only thing that matters is on ice performance.

I kind of forgot about them after their first round sweep, but Las Vegas is still the NHLs only undefeated team in the postseason.

Vegas is really annoying. I think it's a nice story for the NHL, and will really help with people wanting to expand into the league, but now it might be reaching the tipping point where it's making the league look a little bad.

Vegas is really annoying. I think it's a nice story for the NHL, and will really help with people wanting to expand into the league, but now it might be reaching the tipping point where it's making the league look a little bad.

Yup. Only going to get worse when Seattle shows up.

Imagine two western powerhouse teams built from the mistakes of other teams expansion draft decisions.

Yeah, it made for a great story before, but I kind of wonder if the NHL secretly hoped that they went out and got swept in the first round. Right now they're crashing through this like a dynasty team in a fantasy league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back