• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the Habs centre situation: how has Drouin looked at the position so far?

xgf says that the Habs' top line is their biggest problem, albeit in tough usage, and the worst offender is Drouin. I mean, he's probably not a center, so this isn't surprising.

but scanning the numbers, Julien might be well served giving tougher duty to the Pleks and Danault lines, who seem to be doing well in lighter roles.

Weber has also been a disaster this year, but it's hard to tell if that's from playing with the top line a lot, or maybe it's the rookie beside him.

Nah. They sucked for 10 years and kept picking skill player after skill player. Whether it started off intentionally or not. Kadri, Reilly, Nylander, Marner. Matthews was the jackpot, but so were Karlsson and Price. They just never had the rest of it.

The Leafs sucked and loaded up on the most talented players they could find in the draft for years.
yes but I think the leafs also lucked out and/or have some superb scouting to end up with the young group that we have.

Had we drafted Laine / Reinhart / Strome instead of Matthews Nylander marner it would be a very different team now.

And I think we're also lucky the one year we luck out with a 1st overall pick is also the draft year for Matthews, who's looking more and more closer to a generational talent that just another great player.

It just seems weird that this board was sooooo insistent that advanced stats were the best way to judge a team when the Habs were winning divisions and and the Leafs were sucking. Now the Leafs are winning and the Habs are losing and all the advanced stats in the world mean nothing.

Huh?

I dunno where this is coming from exactly. Everyone who numbers were important to before is still using them.

Last edited:
It just seems weird that this board was sooooo insistent that advanced stats were the best way to judge a team when the Habs were winning divisions and and the Leafs were sucking. Now the Leafs are winning and the Habs are losing and all the advanced stats in the world mean nothing.

Score Adjusted xGF% at Even Strength

4.TOR 58.3
17.MTL 48.3
18.OTT 48.1

Last year

4.MTL 52.8
11.TOR 51.0
21.OTT 49.1

I just don't understand the strategy on Markov.

He had all this cap space, and so Markov wanted two years. It was literally our situation with Marleau, and we gave him the third year.

When he let him go, I figured he HAD to have some plan b that he was chasing where he could find someone similar and either stick to the one year, or if the guy was younger, go longer. But he literally had nothing. He let Markov walk for nothing, for no reason. Even the Radulov situation you can maybe rationalize, or pin it on Radulov wanting to leave, but the Markov debacle is the most puzzling, and most idiotic, of the dummy's recent moves.

(Naturally, the Subban for Weber fiasco stands alone, but that was a while ago now).

yes but I think the leafs also lucked out and/or have some superb scouting to end up with the young group that we have.

Had we drafted Laine / Reinhart / Strome instead of Matthews Nylander marner it would be a very different team now.

And I think we're also lucky the one year we luck out with a 1st overall pick is also the draft year for Matthews, who's looking more and more closer to a generational talent that just another great player.

Yep a whole bunch of luck involved there. Even when you consider that the scouts are good, they lucked off of other teams not being as good. no way Nylander, Marner or Liljegren should have been on the board for the Leafs to pick where we picked them.

Yep a whole bunch of luck involved there. Even when you consider that the scouts are good, they lucked off of other teams not being as good. no way Nylander, Marner or Liljegren should have been on the board for the Leafs to pick where we picked them.

And this is another insane thing - there's still Liljegren waiting in the wings! Another guy who probably should've gone top 5, and we lucked out and grabbed him after half of the teams passed.

That's why I keep coming back to the dynasty word. All these talented kids on the big roster, and then Liljegren, Kapanen, and others still waiting for their opportunity.

And we have cap flexibility opening up with Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Gleason/Cowen, Fehr, Moore, etc.

It's pretty hard to fathom how they could have set this all up more perfectly. It's literally advanced team building 101. A full on clinic.

The one and only thing I'm concerned about is the contracts that the big 3 will be getting.

If we just assume Matthews is $10M, I don't know how far behind Nylander can be when he's playing this kind of elite two way game. The only potential big blunder so far is not getting Willy signed in the offseason, because I'm getting nervous he might find himself in $8M-$9M territory instead of $7M.

Yes please. That would be great. I need some sort of comfort. I stayed up till 1:30 am twice this week... for that shit.
tN9OqOv.gif

Ya you really should stop that.
Yeah, it's a little cringey, when this group hasn't even won a playoff series yet. It's reminiscent of Sens fans favourably comparing their early 2000's team to the Islanders dynasty.

Now, the pieces to win multiple Cups do appear to be in place, but let's not put the cart before the horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back