Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHolmes View Post
    So your streak of being wrong about everything was never threatened.

Thatís ace!
    Good one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh damn...you’re right.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe itís because he has another year left on his contract so they canít.

Rules.

That's right. Forgot about that. Such a stupid rule. I don't know why you can't resign your player whenever you want to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    That's right. Forgot about that. Such a stupid rule. I don't know why you can't resign your player whenever you want to.
    I think it's mostly to prevent cap-circumventing deals. Otherwise you could sign a guy to a 3 year deal, and then immediately sign a 3 year extension on top of it, and then the cap hit would vary over the length of the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    Why don't they sign him to the extension now like Nashville did with Turris?
    Can't sign an extension before July 1st 2018

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for participating.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll be interesting to hear Turris's side of Dorion's claim that he wanted seven or eight years and a higher AAV from the Sens than he ended up taking from Nashville. If that's true, it makes this deal more understandable from Ottawa's perspective. 6X6 would probably be my hard limit for Turris too, when it comes to both term & AAV.

I still don't know about trading two first round picks, a 3rd and Turris for Duchene, but if Duchene is a clear upgrade on Turris away from the shit-show in Colorado, and if the Sens can get him signed to a reasonable contract extension come July 1st, they could still pretty easily come ahead in this deal.
    ďIíll trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players.Ē - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Could you imagine if that deal was Subban + 1st + Juulsen + 3rd for Weber?
    It was bad enough straight up... but yeah... that would have been more brutal. When the trade Happened I was waiting to hear who else we got besides Weber. Of course that never happened. #sad

To be fair, I think Turris for Duchene straight up would have been reasonable. Hell... if they added the 3rd to get it done cause they felt better about Duchene, fair enough. This was brutal though.

I still don't get why they just didn't extend Turris. Assuming the reports that he was willing are true.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SENSible View Post
    The Sens don't believe they can win the cup with Turris as their #1 C.

Do you disagree?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
    I believe their chance with Turris is equal to their chance with Duchene. Maybe better, cause Duchene is going to cost more in every year except next season when they're the same. Assuming Duchene even re-signs with Ottawa.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

To talk about Turris for Duchene straight up as being almost equal isn't quite fair, in my view.

Duchene is better, however marginal that might be, but he also has the additional year on his deal. That counts for something. If Turris gets dealt at the deadline, he's a pure rental. If Duchene gets dealt, he should bring a substantially larger return.

But we all come back to the same issue of whether two 1st and a 3rd was the proper return, and few seem to think that it is. If Duchene can light the world on fire though, who knows.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    It'll be interesting to hear Turris's side of Dorion's claim that he wanted seven or eight years and a higher AAV from the Sens than he ended up taking from Nashville. If that's true, it makes this deal more understandable from Ottawa's perspective. 6X6 would probably be my hard limit for Turris too, when it comes to both term & AAV.

I still don't know about trading two first round picks, a 3rd and Turris for Duchene, but if Duchene is a clear upgrade on Turris away from the shit-show in Colorado, and if the Sens can get him signed to a reasonable contract extension come July 1st, they could still pretty easily come ahead in this deal.
    Dorion said 6 years was never put on the table and Turris did say a 6 year deal was never put on the table from the Senators either. Someone is lying ?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    Dorion said 6 years was never put on the table and Turris did say a 6 year deal was never put on the table from the Senators either. Someone is lying ?
    Ottawa offered him 5, and he asked for 7 or 8 so they are both telling the truth.

I think Duchene is a perfect fit for Ottawa. He really seems to be happy to be here, and according to John Shannon, this is where he wanted to get traded to. He knows Crawford, he played for Boucher before and with Karlsson during the lockout.

He seems genuinely excited and happy to be here. I won’t be surprised if he signs his next deal here.

Will be tough to keep everyone with Karlsson coming up and the cap. Going to have to move someone.

The 3rd was for taking Hammond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rated View Post
    maybe neither is lying.

Maybe they both stuck to their guns of 5 years vs 7 years, and the moment he got to nashville 6 years got put on the table and he accepted.

If that is the case its a failure by Dorion to never explore it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    maybe neither is lying.

Maybe they both stuck to their guns of 5 years vs 7 years, and the moment he got to nashville 6 years got put on the table and he accepted.

Dorion wanted Duchene for the past two years. Thereís a cap crunch coming. Thereís no way they could give Turris 8 years.

Anyway itís done.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Duchene more than Turris. It'll be really interesting to watch how the contracts are played out over the next couple seasons. I wonder if some of that dead money in Phaneuf and Ryan will cost you a quality player like Stone.

Shane Bowers isn't that good of a prospect and that 1st will likely be in 24+ range it seems. I think Ottawa ended up with the better player so on that end good on them.

Post Thanks / Like

They didn't trade Turris due to a cap crunch. They traded him because they aren't sure Karlsson will be extended. Thus, Duchene makes much better sense, as his deal expires with Karlsson's.

Big rebuild coming for Ottawa in a couple of years. Hopefully, they keep coughing up the picks and prospects to go for it now.
    #getjaketodetox

Post Thanks / Like

Dorion wanted Duchene for the past two years. Thereís a cap crunch coming. Thereís no way they could give Turris 8 years.

Anyway itís done.
    Its not a cap crunch. Its an uncle eugene budget crunch cause you get 12000 people some nights.
    If you are going to continue to allow people to post vile racist crap, and defend pedophilia on the site, then I'm done posting here.... if you really want to find me... you know where to look.

Post Thanks / Like

sens are actually pretty close to the cap now, no?
    #FreeTimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    sens are actually pretty close to the cap now, no?
    They are 700,000 under the cap... while being allowed to bring up a rookie goalie as an emergency player during their trip to sweden... so realistically are almost 2 million under the cap.

Actual salary expenditure this year is another 1 million lower as they have some guys on the back end of previously front loaded deals.

This also includes Clark McArthur, who counts on their cap but is being pad by insurance $4.75 million.

Add that all up and they are spending about $6-7 million less than the cap in terms of actual salary expenditure.

Note that it was also important for them to include HammondŤs money in this trade as they wanted to offload 1.35 million in salary where only 350K was cap hit.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    maybe neither is lying.

That's the thing, I don't believe it wasn't explored. Judging by Turris really awkward pause when asked about resigning with Ottawa it really begs to question that something else was at play (ownership?).

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast