• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. That doesn't seem so bad.

But I guess the thing is, I agree with him on the suspension.

I still have no understanding whatsoever on how that play should have even been a penalty, let alone a one-game playoff suspension.

His actions the last few days went from me thinking very highly of him to hating him.

And he is not even a Bruin.

As for the suspension. League is trying to get headshots out of the game. My comments are around how he handled the suspension....like a 2 year old.

If Doughty wants to say he disagrees. Fine. But doing it at multi times and calling it BS and accepting no responsibility for it. No thanks.

Shouldn't there be such a thing as accidental head shots?

In my mind, there was no question he was going for the body. He mistimed it and got his face instead. Oftentimes, you see the clear intent with head shots. The shoulder goes perfectly timed into the head. The player delivering the hit is looking at it while it happens.

There was no intent on Doughty's hit. I think even the NHL saw that which is why they gave him only one game. But I really don't think there should be suspensions on accidents. Sure, it's a subjective thing, but so what?

With what we know about head trauma and the long term impacts there really shouldn't be such a thing as an accidental head shot.

That was the result, not the intent.

They're going 100 mph. Doughty had him lined up and was a millisecond too early.

Yeah, to me, it's the sort of hit that in the regular season, makes perfect sense to give him a few games. It was a dangerous hit with a high chance of being a headshot, so I don't have a problem with punishing for that.

But in the playoffs? I do have a hard time giving games to players for a hit like that.

Did Doughty actually hit him in the jaw/head there?

It looked like shoulder-to-shoulder to me on the replays I've seen.

He makes initial contact with the head/face. But it looks as accidental as possible.

Was he trying to destroy him? Sure. Was he trying to take his head off? No way.

If LV wins the cup, it shows the expansion draft rule is seriously flawed and is giving the new team WAY too much advantage

I think it will show that the expansion rules work very well. Although, I think them being as good as they were already showed that.

What it also shows is that the put together a great management, scouting and coaching team. Plus they got quite lucky. All the scouting and coaching in the world wouldn't have told then that Karlsson was a 40+ goal scorer.

The crazy thing is that in a lot of cases they didn't take the "best player" available in the eyes of the team they were drafting from. Columbus paid a premium to have them take Karlsson. Same goes for Fleury. They got Marchessault AND Reilly Smith from Florida so that they didn't take someone else. They got Alex Tuch from the Wild to stay away from Scandella. Same with Shea Theodore.

They wouldn't have had nearly as good a team if every team just let them take who they were going to take.

Troll clap whenever the Knights got a penalty. Combined with him not accepting responsibility for his headshot suspension.

I could only imagine if Subban pulled what Doughty did.

Only fitting that he screwed up giving the Knights the GWG.

Good Canadian boy, plays the "right way." Leaderbean.

Shouldn't there be such a thing as accidental head shots?

In my mind, there was no question he was going for the body. He mistimed it and got his face instead. Oftentimes, you see the clear intent with head shots. The shoulder goes perfectly timed into the head. The player delivering the hit is looking at it while it happens.

There was no intent on Doughty's hit. I think even the NHL saw that which is why they gave him only one game. But I really don't think there should be suspensions on accidents. Sure, it's a subjective thing, but so what?

doughty was head hunting that entire game

but my comments were not even about the suspension itself

I think it will show that the expansion rules work very well. Although, I think them being as good as they were already showed that.

What it also shows is that the put together a great management, scouting and coaching team. Plus they got quite lucky. All the scouting and coaching in the world wouldn't have told then that Karlsson was a 40+ goal scorer.

The crazy thing is that in a lot of cases they didn't take the "best player" available in the eyes of the team they were drafting from. Columbus paid a premium to have them take Karlsson. Same goes for Fleury. They got Marchessault AND Reilly Smith from Florida so that they didn't take someone else. They got Alex Tuch from the Wild to stay away from Scandella. Same with Shea Theodore.

They wouldn't have had nearly as good a team if every team just let them take who they were going to take.

Yeah, it's not the rules fault that a bunch of teams had guys they had buried down lineup who were superior hockey players to what they wanted to protect.

Vegas took a bunch of skilled players that other teams thought were fatally flawed. Boston and Washington wouldn't put Schmidt and Miller in their lineups fulltime ffs, and it turns out that both are really good puck moving defenders who can be top 4's on a 100+ point team. Florida and Minnesota both gave up extra stuff to give a way a bunch of 25+ goal scorers.

****, we could have exposed Matt Martin instead of Leipsic and we're supposed to be one of the best brain trusts in the league.

Vegas exposed the stupid caveman shit that is still pervasive in the NHL's management culture. I hope Seattle does the same thing to teams that didn't learn their lesson.

Yeah, it's not the rules fault that a bunch of teams had guys they had buried down lineup who were superior hockey players to what they wanted to protect.

Vegas took a bunch of skilled players that other teams thought were fatally flawed. Boston and Washington wouldn't put Schmidt and Miller in their lineups fulltime ffs, and it turns out that both are really good puck moving defenders who can be top 4's on a 100+ point team. Florida and Minnesota both gave up extra stuff to give a way a bunch of 25+ goal scorers.

****, we could have exposed Matt Martin instead of Leipsic and we're supposed to be one of the best brain trusts in the league.

Vegas exposed the stupid caveman shit that is still pervasive in the NHL's management culture. I hope Seattle does the same thing to teams that didn't learn their lesson.

Yep.

Still not sure what happened with that Tatar trade though.

Vegas should have been even better .... I mean how many teams has to play their third stronger goalie for 15+ games and the 4th stringier for 4?
Even the 5th stringer got into a game.

yeah not exposing Martin was silly. now they're seeing how useless he is, can't even make the lineup in the playoffs when it's go time for realgud gritty pros

Yep.

Still not sure what happened with that Tatar trade though.

Detroit never really appreciated him imo (going back to Babcock) and McPhee took advantage.

Vegas should have been even better .... I mean how many teams has to play their third stronger goalie for 15+ games and the 4th stringier for 4?
Even the 5th stringer got into a game.

Yep, Maxime Legace started 14 games of .867 hockey. Vegas managed to grab 13 points in those 14 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back