• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
which pretty much spells doom for them paying market value for Karlsson. Ottawa can't afford an 8 figure player, plain and simple.
Zero basis for this statement.

The owner being a meddling idiot and not liking Turris has ZERO relation to Karlsson's situation.

TBH, I want the Sens to wait until this summer and see if Karlsson can get healthy and bounce back. Currently, he is a shadow of himself and worth nowhere near a max deal, but would get a fantastic return based on past record if moved.

Yeah, nobody is expecting a trade to a rival.

But as a UFA, I could see a rival being more enticing than anyone else, especially when that rival is the Leafs.

Zero basis for this statement.

The owner being a meddling idiot and not liking Turris has ZERO relation to Karlsson's situation.

TBH, I want the Sens to wait until this summer and see if Karlsson can get healthy and bounce back. Currently, he is a shadow of himself and worth nowhere near a max deal, but would get a fantastic return based on past record if moved.

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli

Q: "Do you have the money to keep the #Sens afloat?"
Melnyk: "For how many centuries? I'm not going to blow a lifetime of working hard on a hockey team."

More Melnyk: “I think the market here has to prove itself, or you have to make changes. We’ve cut everything to the bone in the organization. We are probably one of the thinnest management groups in the league. The next thing you have to look at is players."

:lol

Just what I want to hear from my owner.

zero basis, lol. once again you are dead ****ing wrong, as usual.

idiot.

Though I have to admit I love the dummy ruin the Sens, he really should just sell. Bought for ~90 million 15 years ago, I don't see why the Sens couldn't fetch 350-400 million.

The guy wants to spend his winters in the Barbados and simply doesn't want to foot the bill in Ottawa.

Frank Seravalli‏Verified account @frank_seravalli
29m29 minutes ago

Melnyk on relocation: "If it doesn't look good here, it could look good somewhere else. But I'm not suggesting that right now. If you open a grocery store and nobody comes, but one opens two blocks down and there’s a line outside, where are you going to have your store?"

Can't ever recall an NHL owner talking like this. On the move ...

The problem with Melnyk is that I think owning an NHL team is an ego thing for him. He likes to have his name on things, and he likes to be in the news. That's why I think he may not be interested in cashing in, and riding off to Barbados.

I don't think the NHL would let him move the team, though. Not if someone was willing to buy the Sens, build a downtown rink and not run the team like a tightwad. The question is whether or not there's an individual or company out there willing to do that.

The problem with Melnyk is that I think owning an NHL team is an ego thing for him. He likes to have his name on things, and he likes to be in the news. That's why I think he may not be interested in cashing in, and riding off to Barbados.

I don't think the NHL would let him move the team, though. Not if someone was willing to buy the Sens, build a downtown rink and not run the team like a tightwad. The question is whether or not there's an individual or company out there willing to do that.

As much as we like to slag the Sens, they definitely should be a solid enough market. But they do really need an owner who can come in and finance a downtown stadium and not be a tightwad.

Hasn't that been the issue all along with them though? Can never find a decent owner. Not thinking their about to do so but who knows?

He wanted his comments to radiate and be heard loud and clear. That's why he picked this spot to say it.

And don't direct all your hate towards him. He iced a near Stanley Cup finalist and had trouble selling tickets.

He wanted his comments to radiate and be heard loud and clear. That's why he picked this spot to say it.

And don't direct all your hate towards him. He iced a near Stanley Cup finalist and had trouble selling tickets.

In a vacuum he didn't say anything wrong. But in the context of everything else he didn't say a whole lot right. The guy doesn't have a great track record of picking his spots and last night was just another example. If he really needed a platform to posture with the NCC or even sell tickets I'm sure TSN 1200 or Sportsnet 590 would give him all the air time he needed any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back