• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kings did Ottawa a favour. Dion and Thompson both have local ties through their spouses or whatnot and I guess they feel Phaneuf can still grind it out a bit. It's not good for them, but remember the league is still about old boys helping each other out. Maybe Ottawa throws L.A. a 2nd round pick in a later deal way down the road, they seem to like doing that for some reason.

The Kings did Ottawa a favour. Dion and Thompson both have local ties through their spouses or whatnot and I guess they feel Phaneuf can still grind it out a bit. It's not good for them, but remember the league is still about old boys helping each other out. Maybe Ottawa throws L.A. a 2nd round pick in a later deal way down the road, they seem to like doing that for some reason.

Don’t see how this is a favour to Ottawa. The kings are paying Phaneuf the same $ that the habs are paying alzner. And the sens took back a one dimensional 35 year old with 30 goals over the past 3 seasons and a 5m cap hit.

First, that's not what you said. Hometown pull is a thing and we see it pretty regularly, especially when all other things are roughly in balance.

Second, how many have we missed on that went FA other than Stamkos...who only met with one other team and it clearly wasn't for financial leverage when all was said and done.

There are good reasons tavares likely won't end up in Toronto...the one you gave wasn't one of those.

And yeah...I don't see this trade as anything other than the kings face raping the sens

Gaborik has been done for years and dion is still serviceable, especially for a team still playing a plodding heavy style. Dion will fit well there.

First, that's not what you said. Hometown pull is a thing and we see it pretty regularly, especially when all other things are roughly in balance.

Second, how many have we missed on that went FA other than Stamkos...who only met with one other team and it clearly wasn't for financial leverage when all was said and done.

There are good reasons tavares likely won't end up in Toronto...the one you gave wasn't one of those.

To be fair i gave the other reasons.

I just dont like it when people use it as a reason to expect him to take 10 over 12 because he wants to play at home. It's super unlikely. There will be a lineup of teams without a number 1 C that can afford ( in their minds anyways) to give John the max. Toronto does not make sense with how the team is constructed and who they have to pay long term.

As cool as it would be for Tavares to be a 2LC, it makes no real sense, factor in the team has mad wing depth and at any point can choose to slide Nylander to C and go Matthews/Nylader/Kadri and laugh at 29 other teams Centers.

And yeah...I don't see this trade as anything other than the kings face raping the sens

Gaborik has been done for years and dion is still serviceable, especially for a team still playing a plodding heavy style. Dion will fit well there.

It's like the one team in the NHL that can utilize Dion, perhaps effectively.

Gene saved 8M or so, that's the extent of it for Ottawa, they gained so much less hockey wise.

To be fair i gave the other reasons.

I just dont like it when people use it as a reason to expect him to take 10 over 12 because he wants to play at home. It's super unlikely. There will be a lineup of teams without a number 1 C that can afford ( in their minds anyways) to give John the max. Toronto does not make sense with how the team is constructed and who they have to pay long term.

As cool as it would be for Tavares to be a 2LC, it makes no real sense, factor in the team has mad wing depth and at any point can choose to slide Nylander to C and go Matthews/Nylader/Kadri and laugh at 29 other teams Centers.

In fairness...stamkos took 8.5 over 10+ allegedly to stay in a good situation versus leaving for a rebuild/basketcase.

Money is important but so is winning. Most of those teams without 1Cs are trash teams. We are one of the few good temas with the money to be close. If he would prefer to remain in purgatory for the rest of his career for a couple mill extra....okay, but its not crazy to suggest that 10 mill and contending in toronto wouldnt be more appealling than 12 mill and a rangers or habs rebuild/retool. Its not like hes under the delusion that he can make a bad team contend just because he shows up after his experience on the island.

As for the leafs cap situation, with the cap in the 80s snd marner/ willy likely in the 6.5 range i dont see why its untenable. JT, AM, Willy, Mitch, Kadri, Freddy, Rielly, for 47.5ish in a 82 million dollar cap world isnt crazy. Thats a similar proportion to what pittsburgh is paying their best 7 players under a 75 milllion dollar cap.

In fairness...stamkos took 8.5 over 10+ allegedly to stay in a good situation versus leaving for a rebuild/basketcase.

Money is important but so is winning. Most of those teams without 1Cs are trash teams. We are one of the few good temas with the money to be close. If he would prefer to remain in purgatory for the rest of his career for a couple mill extra....okay, but its not crazy to suggest that 10 mill and contending in toronto wouldnt be more appealling than 12 mill and a rangers or habs rebuild/retool. Its not like hes under the delusion that he can make a bad team contend just because he shows up after his experience on the island.

As for the leafs cap situation, with the cap in the 80s snd marner/ willy likely in the 6.5 range i dont see why its untenable. JT, AM, Willy, Mitch, Kadri, Freddy, Rielly, for 47.5ish in a 82 million dollar cap world isnt crazy. Thats a similar proportion to what pittsburgh is paying their best 7 players under a 75 milllion dollar cap.

Sharks

real tough call for me on tavares.

my gut instinct is that he's not the guy we want to make one of the very highest paid players in hockey longterm.

My gut > your gut, then.

He’s ****ing elite and awesome. Can you imagine the damage he does between Marleau and Marner?

I like you both Both of you have put your nuts on the line. i am going with Shanny on this one. He is the boss way up the ladder. He knows. He knows what it takes internally.

Whatever happens under this guys leadership, it probably going to be great. Its been great so far right?

Nah, its been better than great... Its festive brothers.

I love Polak btw. Gotta say. Take a puck to the face and keep coming back? For the kids on the bench? Dressing room? Been great.

We have such a sweet group now, its sick.

March into battle.. Go with it.

I don't think you want to pay any player $10-12 million when they are in their 30s, except for the rare few truly elite players. Tavares may be one of those rare elite talents like Thornton, that is just always good. He is clearly an outlier, and has been since he was a kid. He is insanely talented, and has succeeded as an elite player despite his skating, which is very impressive.

Realistically I think the only way it works for the Leafs is on a short term deal, or for Stamkos money. So it probably doesn't.

1 think not really mentioned in this Tavares talk is Nylander.

If he is viewed as a C long term then we don't need to bring in someone on a long term deal.

As for the Phaneuf deal the Leafs got out at the perfect time. Now all he was worth in a trade is $5 million in cash savings over 3 years. He's been awful this year. Ottawa should have never taken on that contract.

Tavares isn’t signing here IMO. Love that by Ottawa taking Phaneuf it helped us solidify the worst record which led to Matthews. Enjoy eating that contract for 3 more years PLUS Gaborik!? Yikes

As for the Phaneuf deal the Leafs got out at the perfect time. Now all he was worth in a trade is $5 million in cash savings over 3 years. He's been awful this year. Ottawa should have never taken on that contract.
Yes, and if that wasn't obvious at the time of the TOR-OTT trade, it is very clear now.

1 think not really mentioned in this Tavares talk is Nylander.

If he is viewed as a C long term then we don't need to bring in someone on a long term deal.
Yes, but at the same time seeing the chemistry between Nylander and Matthews, as much faith as I have in Nylander being able to play C in the NHL level I am not sure it hurts to have him and Matthews play together long-term if we can get a solid 2C option like Tavares.

And if we remove Willy from Tavares from Matthews' line, we still gotta find a 1RW for Matthews. You can't really plug Leivo into 1RW, move Willy to 2C and call it a day. And I think we optimizes Matthews' (and Willy's) production by giving them an elite linemate.

All that said, I don't believe Tavares is coming to Toronto. I don't think he's leaving NYI, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back