Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Pierre LeBrun‏
    Bettman says the process with Seattle will be similar to Vegas starting with ticket drive. No guarantees yet but the process has begun in terms of due diligence of Seattle

Looks like Seattle is getting a team in 2020. Poor Quebec.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

There's not enough french players to go around.

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I am such a hypocrite. I was the first person screaming Las Vegas was a massive mistake and what person will go to see hockey when they have so much else to see? Well the first thing I did last weekend in Vegas was go to a Knights game. Great arena and crowd. And I did not realize it was right in the strip. Players must love it. They probably have deals to stay in the hotels.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the idea from day one. Still a lot to be seen.... but so far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

The Raiders are still getting more media attention and they are 2 years from arriving in Vegas. But overall, there was a decent amount of talk about them.

Post Thanks / Like

New banner coming to Ottawa:

Most Loser Points Ever.
    #fireleointothesun

Post Thanks / Like

Not gonna hear from Sensible or Cork for awhile it seems. Sens look like an absolute mess. Duchene seems better suited for the wing at this point, which is awful given they dealt Turris to bring him in. Yikes.
    "Believe it or not, I believe this is Canada's team, and we need to put Canada's team back on the map" - Mike Babcock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedsblue&white View Post
    There's not enough french players to go around.
    Heh. That's hilarious. I hadn't even considered that possible side-effect of a potential return of the Nordiques.

Even bigger would be coaches & executives. The Habs have already forced themselves to hire exclusively from the tiny pool of available French-Canadians whenever they go looking for a new coach or GM. But if Quebec came back into the league, they'd likely have the same "French guys only" policy, and that tiny pool would become half as big for the Habs.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

so which pacific team moves to the central?

or do they revamp all the divisions?

does expansion to seattle put the coyotes in more jeopardy and in line for a move? maybe to Houston?

#FreeTimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeLeafer View Post
    New banner coming to Ottawa:

Most Loser Points Ever.
    Eight actual wins in 27 tries.

And overall, they're 3-8-2 since acquiring Duchene.

Duchene must be so thrilled that he finally got to leave Colorado for a winning team.
    Ill trade five ordinary players for one great player any day. You can always find ordinary players. - Conn Smythe

Post Thanks / Like

Come to think of it, the Duchene trade is what started the downward slide for the Sens wasn't it?

Absolutely wonderful

Post Thanks / Like

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account
    @PierreVLeBrun
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    NHL shared next season salary cap projection with Governors today: between $78 M and $82 M depending on negotiated inflator with NHLPA in June... so either way, up from current $75 M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    so which pacific team moves to the central?

or do they revamp all the divisions?

does expansion to seattle put the coyotes in more jeopardy and in line for a move? maybe to Houston?

Has to be Arizona.

Can't split the oilers and flames, and any further west you really screw with the geography of the divisions.
    Last edited by Altair; 12-08-2017 at 12:54 PM.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account
    @PierreVLeBrun
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    NHL shared next season salary cap projection with Governors today: between $78 M and $82 M depending on negotiated inflator with NHLPA in June... so either way, up from current $75 M
    Awesome. Give the NHL a second assist in our getting to keep our top players and maybe even add more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    Awesome. Give the NHL a second assist in our getting to keep our top players and maybe even add more.
    And Ottawa's budget will go down if anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Has to be Arizona.

Can't split the oilers and flames, and any further west you really screw with the geography of the divisions.
    Or you go Northwest (Van, Cal, Edm, Wpg, Sea, Minn, Chi, Stl) and Southwest (Lak, Anh, SJ, LV, Zona, Nash, Dal, Avs)

There's no real way to make the travel not suck for someone in a 8/8 division format. They're be better off going back to 3 divisions per conference

NW: Van, Sea, Edm, Cal, Wpg
    SW: Lak, Anh, Sj, LV, Zona
    Central: Chi, Minn, Stl, Nash, Avs, Dal

It's unbalanced, but the only other alternative is having multiple teams with 3-4 hour flights in division.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle is a good market for the NHl. always thought it should have a team. Surprised it took this long considering how many years the NBA left.
    While we all like to love the idea of Quebec City as a market. That is a VERY tiny market. Players will avoid that city like the plague. It will be more unpopular than Winnipeg and Buffalo. The NHL doesn't grow the game at all, and there's so little corporate support in that area. If I;m the NHL, I avoid it.
    Toronto should have another team before Quebec City,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    Seattle is a good market for the NHl. always thought it should have a team. Surprised it took this long considering how many years the NBA left.
    While we all like to love the idea of Quebec City as a market. That is a VERY tiny market. Players will avoid that city like the plague. It will be more unpopular than Winnipeg and Buffalo. The NHL doesn't grow the game at all, and there's so little corporate support in that area. If I;m the NHL, I avoid it.
    Toronto should have another team before Quebec City,
    I've liked Quebec City whenever I've visited it, but I can see how some American and English-Canadian players might want to avoid it like the plague.

It's like Buffalo or Winnipeg in terms of size & climate, except all the signs are in another language, and a significant portion of the population either can't or won't speak English. It might be a popular destination with some Europeans, but then most players coming over from Europe learn English instead of French even if they end up playing for the Habs.

I think the league is basically just doing with Quebec what they did with Winnipeg. They're keeping them in their back pocket in case they end up being forced into moving a franchise quickly, like they did when Atlanta's owners were ready to pretty much just hand back the franchise. So, if a team like the Coyotes or the Islanders gets kicked out out of their current rinks with nowhere else to go, and this happens before Houston builds itself an arena...then off to Quebec City.

If not, then that arena in Quebec City becomes yet another white elephant sporting venue financed by the Quebec taxpayer.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Panarin is ****ing unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafGm View Post
    I've liked Quebec City whenever I've visited it, but I can see how some American and English-Canadian players might want to avoid it like the plague.

It's like Buffalo or Winnipeg in terms of size & climate, except all the signs are in another language, and a significant portion of the population either can't or won't speak English. It might be a popular destination with some Europeans, but then most players coming over from Europe learn English instead of French even if they end up playing for the Habs.

I think the league is basically just doing with Quebec what they did with Winnipeg. They're keeping them in their back pocket in case they end up being forced into moving a franchise quickly, like they did when Atlanta's owners were ready to pretty much just hand back the franchise. So, if a team like the Coyotes or the Islanders gets kicked out out of their current rinks with nowhere else to go, and this happens before Houston builds itself an arena...then off to Quebec City.

If not, then that arena in Quebec City becomes yet another white elephant sporting venue financed by the Quebec taxpayer.
    Where is the outrage over that arena? Why exactly was it built? I know they want an NHL team, but it was such a longshot. I guess the rest of Canada gets to give extra money to Quebec and everything will be ok.
    You are right, Quebec is a great "Emergency" market to dump the Coyotees in if things get really bad. It's not an expansion franchise at all.

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast