• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why go for the short term fix by adding another winger, just to move Willy to center, when you can get the long term fix by getting the center - for just money - and keeping Willy on the wing?

Panarin is UFA next year, so are we just gonna let him walk too, or give him a huge extension?

Dashboard_1_7.png

This is exactly where we should be looking to spend the extra cap dollars. If any of these top end players actually move its a no brainer. Especially if its just for cap space.

Last edited:
Panarin is amazing for sure, but I don't know that I'd say he's better than Tavares, mainly due to the positions they play.

I also don't want to pay either of them $12M a year, and I feel like Panarin is the more likely of the two to demand something sick like that. At least Tavares may want to be reasonable for the shot at playing for his hometown team. I don't anticipate Panarin to have any sentiment like that.

But most importantly, we'd have to trade an arm and a leg for Panarin. Who would we deal? Nylander (sideways move), Rielly (no), Kapanen and Johnsson (nowhere near enough). I don't see the logic in taking a shot at Panarin when Tavares could be had without giving up a thing.

Panarin is amazing for sure, but I don't know that I'd say he's better than Tavares, mainly due to the positions they play.

I also don't want to pay either of them $12M a year, and I feel like Panarin is the more likely of the two to demand something sick like that. At least Tavares may want to be reasonable for the shot at playing for his hometown team. I don't anticipate Panarin to have any sentiment like that.

But most importantly, we'd have to trade an arm and a leg for Panarin. Who would we deal? Nylander (sideways move), Rielly (no), Kapanen and Johnsson (nowhere near enough). I don't see the logic in taking a shot at Panarin when Tavares could be had without giving up a thing.

Yep. If they were both FA, then it might make sense to take a shot at Panarin for less, since you have depth down the middle. But doing something like dealing Nylander for him and then signing him to a big extension seems more like a Bergevin move than one that actually makes sense.

I mean, if they're willing to give him away for secondary pieces, then yeah, sure. But if he costs you a bunch in assets for one year, and then maybe a bunch in salary after, not sure it's really worth it.

Yep. If they were both FA, then it might make sense to take a shot at Panarin for less, since you have depth down the middle. But doing something like dealing Nylander for him and then signing him to a big extension seems more like a Bergevin move than one that actually makes sense.

I mean, if they're willing to give him away for secondary pieces, then yeah, sure. But if he costs you a bunch in assets for one year, and then maybe a bunch in salary after, not sure it's really worth it.

I don't think they have a choice but to give him away for "secondary" pieces, and I'm not shocked that the guy pushing for Tavares to blow up our cap situation long term floated that as a remote possibility. If Panarin isn't interested in an extension, you're trading for 1 guaranteed year of the guy. You're not getting a high end young forward (or a high end, controlled anything) for that. You're going to get a 1st and maybe a "B" asset.

As for the cost of an extension. Panarin is a really good, but he doesn't have the name value of a Tavares (nor the positional premium of a #1 centre). You're probably looking at the 8-9 range rather than the 11+ range where Tavares is really likely to end up.

Of course the comparison is only relevant if both are actually available. If either becomes a legitimate option you have to go for it.

I don't think they have a choice but to give him away for "secondary" pieces, and I'm not shocked that the guy pushing for Tavares to blow up our cap situation long term floated that as a remote possibility. If Panarin isn't interested in an extension, you're trading for 1 guaranteed year of the guy. You're not getting a high end young forward (or a high end, controlled anything) for that. You're going to get a 1st and maybe a "B" asset.

As for the cost of an extension. Panarin is a really good, but he doesn't have the name value of a Tavares (nor the positional premium of a #1 centre). You're probably looking at the 8-9 range rather than the 11+ range where Tavares is really likely to end up.

I would trade Pacioretty and our 2018 2nd PLUS a conditional 1st for Panarin.

Condition: If Panarin signs an extension with us and we make the playoffs the 1st. Otherwise they get our 2019 2nd.

Trying to figure out why ROR for Max works for the Sabres.

the 3 though, all day, but i suspect they'd need to add to ROR.

I think they'd like to move that $7.5M out and have Eichel, Reinhart and Mittelstadt down the middle. Max is a pretty okay winger too.

If we trade #3 for RoR I'm done with this team... or until MB gets canned.

Max for RoR makes sense.

Max for RoR would be a nice win for the Habs, imo. But that's precisely why it won't happen because Bergy.

I mean, if he actually gives up the 3rd overall for RoR, fold the franchise. He will have burned your house to the ground.

That's about as long as they need till this whole thing finally collapses and they deal him and everyone else and truly start over.

But they're probably not going to get too much for Max otherwise or at the deadline (other than picks, which we know Bergy hates). I think I'd roll the dice on RoR, who is signed, and then if you need to deal him later, you have the asset without any pressure of looming free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back