• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kane hasn't been consistent at all in his career. The Sharks got him at a steal at the deadline due to his reputation. I am not sure you want to commit that $ to him that long though.

How much difference between the two as goal scorers is there really? I know that seems weird with JVR coming off of a career year and all but JVR is a .35-.40 GPG guy just about every year. Kane in almost every year of his career has been about .35 GPG.

Kane though is a better 200 foot hockey player, and doesn't play like a bitch everywhere else on the ice. Throw in the age difference (Kane isn't quite 27 yet, JVR just turned 29) and I wouldn't blame anyone for valuing Kane higher on a 7 year deal than JVR.

I will say that what JVR did this year in the baby usage Babcock put him in was incredible as far as scoring efficiency goes, but I don't think we'll see him be better than that against harder usage in more minutes. We saw that movie back when he had speed and he was 25-30 every year.

Someone though, will give JVR about the same. 6-7 years, 6.5+ million.

How much difference between the two as goal scorers is there really? I know that seems weird with JVR coming off of a career year and all but JVR is a .35-.40 GPG guy just about every year. Kane in almost every year of his career has been about .35 GPG.

Kane though is a better 200 foot hockey player, and doesn't play like a bitch everywhere else on the ice. Throw in the age difference (Kane isn't quite 27 yet, JVR just turned 29) and I wouldn't blame anyone for valuing Kane higher on a 7 year deal than JVR.

I will say that what JVR did this year in the baby usage Babcock put him in was incredible as far as scoring efficiency goes, but I don't think we'll see him be better than that against harder usage in more minutes. We saw that movie back when he had speed and he was 25-30 every year.

Someone though, will give JVR about the same. 6-7 years, 6.5+ million.

Yeah, they're close enough. JVR may not come in at 7x7, but 6x6 should be easy for him. And both the deals for him and Kane will look butt-ugly in a few years time. I'd bet that whoever signs both would be betting for Seattle to pick them in the expansion draft if they don't get NMC.

entirely different cap situation and i can see him needing to promise John another weapon in order to get him to stay.

Goal scoring wasn't really their problem, nor do I think JVR moves the needle for a guy like Tavares.

As for their cap situation. About 32 million in cap space:

Notable UFA's

Tavares - 12
De Haan - 4

Notable RFA's

Nelson - 4 (more if it has any term to it, only 1 year to UFA)
Pulock - 3 (though probably more if it's not a bridge)

So just to get things re signed, they're down to about 12 million in cap space which in theory is enough for adding JVR. But then they're running into next season with Greiss and cheap scrub in net, and the same team that failed this year pretty much returns as a complete unit. Then compound that by JVR making Anders Lee (That's Mr 74 goals over the last 2 years Anders Lee to you) a very difficult guy to fit in (while being a better, younger hockey player) next year when his sweetheart 3.75M deal runs out. Basically you get to pick one of Eberle or Lee to re sign when both are younger and better 200 foot hockey players (while having similar offensive impact overall) if you throw a large deal at JVR.

They need to take that spare cap space they have laying around (which isn't really that much when you fill out the lineup) and find the best goalie they can land to do what Lou did here with Freddy. Hope that competent goaltending can keep you in more track meet games while your kids figure out how to play tighter NHL hockey. Just competent will do. They sported a .903 SV% this season and as much as other places in their defensive game can absolutely be improved, just getting league average goaltending out of a 1A/1B tandem would do wonders for them. That would probably put them on the playoff bubble by itself.

Signing JVR to a big 7 year deal doesn't really make sense for any team if you look at it pragmatically. But someone will do it.

JVR is fool’s gold. Someone will severely overpay for him IMO, I have zero interest

Smart comment. You have obviously watched these very entertaining playoffs.... Guys are killing themselves both ways. We have four passengers from this year. And JVR was one of them. If I mention the other three, I will get early Schenn treatment.

I really appreaciate Mindzeye, but I maintain I called out Luke Schenn and received massive hate, and I was dead on.

I am not always right of course, but I say, with complete conviction, Big Nose, is out of shape and Nylander hears footsteps, our best player is Marner.

If Dubas brings up Holl, Grundstrom and Trevor Moore, he is a better Gm than Lou. Lou was creepy.

BTW all. We have a new Harold Ballard, but one, that has money behind him and a lot more on ice talent aware.

His name? Brendan Shanahan. Lou and Mark were bumped basically, cause new Harold did't like em anymore. But hey, what do i know?

Iknowenuff.

With Lou gone I am already getting dripping wet info, that wasn't around for a couple of years, is LeafGM going to whack me for mentioning some of it? Probably.

Why grope in the dark though? Might as well get this inside poop right?

Last edited:
Smart comment. You have obviously watched these very entertaining playoffs.... Guys are killing themselves both ways. We have four passengers from this year. And JVR was one of them. If I mention the other three, I will get early Schenn treatment.

I really appreaciate Mindzeye, but I maintain I called out Luke Schenn and received massive hate, and I was dead on.

I am not always right of course, but I say, with complete conviction, Big Nose, is out of shape and Nylander hears footsteps, our best player is Marner.

If Dubas brings up Holl, Grundstrom and Trevor Moore, he is a better Gm than Lou. Lou was creepy.

BTW all. We have a new Harold Ballard, but one, that has money behind him and a lot more on ice talent aware.

His name? Brendan Shanahan. Lou and Mark were bumped basically, cause new Harold did't like em anymore. But hey, what do i know?

Iknowenuff.

With Lou gone I am already getting dripping wet info, that wasn't around for a couple of years, is LeafGM going to whack me for mentioning some of it? Probably.

Why grope in the dark though? Might as well get this inside poop right?

I see the aliens have taken over your brain again, shame.

No worries teeder---unless someone quotes you, like MNIJ just did, going forward I won't be seeing or responding your posts as I've got you on my ignore list.

I was hopeful that you'd changed in the intervening years since you'd left, and that you'd be capable of being an honest contributor around here. But you still apparently still have an all-consuming, desperate need to be the center of attention, and to be perceived as an "insider" with a view behind the curtain that nobody else has.

And I really don't have the time of day for that nonsense anymore.

No worries teeder---unless someone quotes you, like MNIJ just did, going forward I won't be seeing or responding your posts as I've got you on my ignore list.

I was hopeful that you'd changed in the intervening years since you'd left, and that you'd be capable of being an honest contributor around here. But you still apparently still have an all-consuming, desperate need to be the center of attention, and to be perceived as an "insider" with a view behind the curtain that nobody else has.

And I really don't have the time of day for that nonsense anymore.

with this in mind, im no longer going to quote him

Vezinailevski with 2 goals on 4 shots in the second. Not good enough.

I dislike Tampa a lot more than Washington. Hang in there, Caps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back