• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it's an opportunity to get a #1 RHD for dirty cheap.

If the financial component of the deal is handled properly, none of that matters.

He played 78 games in his first year as a Hab. Pull his work load back a bit (pretty ideal partner for Rielly), and let our sport science department manage his health. His injuries seem to be wear and tear stuff that gets left unmanaged. If you look at his two major injuries with the habs, the first was a foot injury where he played on a fractured foot for a month until he did enough damage to the tendons that somebody finally figured out that he was hurt and shut him down. Montreal let him play through the fracture, gave him injections, etc. Just piss poor management of a key player. Our sports science department would have told Babcock and Weber both to **** off, he's sitting. He would have missed a few weeks, did his rehab, no bubbles no troubles.

The second was supposed to be a routine clean up once he was opened up they found the damage but it apparently happened in November. More solid handling by the Habs medical staff. The Leafs are using cutting edge camera systems to measure the skating gait of their players at practice to predict injuries (and shut players down for rest when necessary) and the Habs are running guys out there on damaged knees and feet for months at a time.

Yeah, I'd definitely take my chances with Shea Weber in the hands of the Leafs sport science people.

It's far more likely that he returns to form than not.
Yeah, Weber on a good team, used properly will still be a damn good dman for a few years.

He's as close to a perfect match for the Leafs as there is. Especially if the Habs ate like $1.5-2m.

You guys are nuts

GaMz6k5.png

Because it's an opportunity to get a #1 RHD for dirty cheap.

If the financial component of the deal is handled properly, none of that matters.

He played 78 games in his first year as a Hab. Pull his work load back a bit (pretty ideal partner for Rielly), and let our sport science department manage his health. His injuries seem to be wear and tear stuff that gets left unmanaged. If you look at his two major injuries with the habs, the first was a foot injury where he played on a fractured foot for a month until he did enough damage to the tendons that somebody finally figured out that he was hurt and shut him down. Montreal let him play through the fracture, gave him injections, etc. Just piss poor management of a key player. Our sports science department would have told Babcock and Weber both to **** off, he's sitting. He would have missed a few weeks, did his rehab, no bubbles no troubles.

The second was supposed to be a routine clean up once he was opened up they found the damage but it apparently happened in November. More solid handling by the Habs medical staff. The Leafs are using cutting edge camera systems to measure the skating gait of their players at practice to predict injuries (and shut players down for rest when necessary) and the Habs are running guys out there on damaged knees and feet for months at a time.

Yeah, I'd definitely take my chances with Shea Weber in the hands of the Leafs sport science people.

It's far more likely that he returns to form than not.

But...but....playing hurt gives a player a chance to develop more karacter

We would likely need to get the cap hit down to close to 5.5 to make it work. We would have to give up something decent on top of zaitsev to make that happen.

Will he return to form? Maybe. Do I think he will? Nope.

And that's what it comes down to - a gamble. One that only a desperate and/or stupid team should be taking.

I don't see the need for us to be that team. There are other dmen - healthier, younger, cheaper. There's no reason in the world for us to roll the dice on this guy.

We would likely need to get the cap hit down to close to 5.5 to make it work. We would have to give up something decent on top of zaitsev to make that happen.

I'm not high on Zaitsev, I don't think Dubas is high on Zaitsev, but Zaitsev is very likely considered to be a pretty decent asset around the league. Especially to someone like MB. He seems to like guys who chase the puck around angrily.

But yeah, throw something decent in with it. Toss Brown and a pick in on top.

you guys know I love the idea of trading for Weber....but you gotta be spooked by a 33yr old with a bum knee.

Will he return to form? Maybe. Do I think he will? Nope.

And that's what it comes down to - a gamble. One that only a desperate and/or stupid team should be taking.

Why is there any doubt about him returning to form? He's 32 not 38. Neither injury were of the career threatening sort.

I don't see the need for us to be that team. There are other dmen - healthier, younger, cheaper.

Are there really? Haven't we been trying to land one of those without sending a wonderkid out the door in return for 3 years now?

There's no reason in the world for us to roll the dice on this guy.

Well when you're delusional about what he is and the likelihood of him returning to form as a #1 defender, I agree.

you guys know I love the idea of trading for Weber....but you gotta be spooked by a 33yr old with a bum knee.

Yeah, which is why I would expect that Montreal eats salary and takes Zaitsev. I'm more spooked by the idea of paying Zaitsev 6x4.5 than paying Weber 4x5/6

Also fwiw, the record of players returning successfully from knee injuries at this point in medical history is about 100%. These aren't conky's or back injuries we're talking about. They're piss poorly handled foot and knee issues.

I’d be all in on Weber. He’d be the same age Roberts was when he signed with us and started cracking skulls. Remember that hit on Kenny Johnsson?

Too much man

You guys are nuts

GaMz6k5.png
That's a really pretty picture of what Weber was at 30/31 years of age.

Too bad the Weber we'd be acquiring would be 33-37 years of age, coming off major surgery on each leg & fresh off a full calendar year of not playing professional hockey.

And of course, we all know how great physical players typically age into their mid/late 30's.

As long as his legs hold up Weber will be fine into his late 30s. His game isn’t predicated on speed.

It's a REALLY, REALLY high risk move. My fear isn't that he would retire if his health continues to deteriorate, my fear is he'd barely hang on to be borderline healthy but nowhere near as effective as he needs to be, but just wouldn't retire.

Sure, there's high reward if he resumes to form but like zeke said, this is a 33 yr old dman, who was not fast to begin with, and now has a bummed knee.

That's a really pretty picture of what Weber was at 30/31 years of age.

Too bad the Weber we'd be acquiring would be 33-37 years of age, coming off major surgery on each leg & fresh off a full calendar year of not playing professional hockey.

And of course, we all know how great physical players typically age into their mid/late 30's.

Yeah, but it's not like you'd be paying for 29 year old Weber either.

It's a REALLY, REALLY high risk move. My fear isn't that he would retire if his health continues to deteriorate, my fear is he'd barely hang on to be borderline healthy but nowhere near as effective as he needs to be, but just wouldn't retire.

Sure, there's high reward if he resumes to form but like zeke said, this is a 33 yr old dman, who was not fast to begin with, and now has a bummed knee.
Yep if he retires big whoop. You take the cap savings and move on.

But if he's not good enough to want to play, but not bad enough to retire/LTIR, then you're in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back