• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2017-2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it was talked about in the thread - but looks like Vegas has scooped Malcolm Subban off waivers.

McDavid is effing nuts with the hatty after Matthews opens with a W and a 3pt night...best time to be a hockey fan!

[video=youtube;pLCYvkmKNSw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLCYvkmKNSw[/video]

He's like Roenick in NHL 93.

Unreal that he started at his own goal line with the whole opposing team spread out in front of him, and somehow ended up with time and space on a clear breakaway. With no obstruction or slashes to the hands, there's not a ton you can do to stop that.

I mean he's fast, but brodie and hamonic looked like serious slugs there.

rielly or jake wouldn't have been beat like that in that situation.

I mean he's fast, but brodie and hamonic looked like serious slugs there.

rielly or jake wouldn't have been beat like that in that situation.
Yeah, as much as that Calgary defense gets a ton of praise, they aren't exactly fleet of foot. I'd like to think that our top defenseman wouldn't watch McDavid blow by them after having a 60-foot head start on him.

And like usual for a Burke team, Calgary's goaltending stinks.

Not sure if you're kidding there.. Smith was the only reason that game wasn't 5-0. 42 saves , .955 SV%.

Not sure if you're kidding there.. Smith was the only reason that game wasn't 5-0. 42 saves , .955 SV%.
I didn't mean Smith was bad last night---just that in general, he's a mediocre to bad goalie.

Seems like Vegas's expansion draft strategy is blowing up in their faces a little.

They've got Calvin Pickard on waivers today, and will likely lose him for nothing.

And they're stuck with nine defenseman on their NHL roster (and Shipachev & Shea Theodore in the minors), because everybody's knows they have no leverage, and are in an awkward position roster-wise, so they're low-balling them for the extra D they hoped to turn into assets.

It puts pressure on the coaches, but if they stand firm until the inevitable injuries hit other teams - they could still get what they want.

As for Pickard - they claimed Subban earlier in the week so they had to waive a goalie. Not sure if that was the smart-move, but obviously they scout Subban as being a better option.

For a team like Vegas, going with the high-risk/high-reward goalie in Subban over Pickard likely makes sense. They really don't care about losing now, so could be worth a shot for them to try him out.

For the rest, yeah, I think they over-estimated what they could sell off their guys for. Although it might still pay off if they can get rid of them early when other teams run into injury issues, but you have to assume that they're not getting a whole lot for any of them because everyone sees that they're way over-stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back