• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

And the Captain's are.....?

Picard
Hook
Crunch
Kirk
Jack Sparrow
Nemo
America
Ahab
Janeway
Leela
Solo
Kangaroo
Jack (he'll get ya high tonight)

Finally the speculation ends at noon today.

Here are the candidates as I see them:

* Jordan Staal - Vet, well spoken, leader, alternate captain for years. Cons - His public media waffle about wanting to be here after Eric was let go. Brief as that was, it happened.

* Justin Williams - Vet, leader. Cons - Cripes he just got back here!

* Justin Faulk - Still young but our most veteran blueliner. Has been alternate captain. Cons - A little soft spoken.

* Jeff Skinner - Our best offensive player, one of the clear faces of the franchise, been here a long time now, part time Alternate last season. Cons - I think he has stepped up his leadership, but I don't see a captain there.

* Jaccob Slavin - This guy is my dark horse. In his brief time here is has established himself as big time/full time community presence. He is all Canes all the time. He is also committed here for 8 more seasons. Cons - There may be some, ie. not sure if he is ready to take on the role of captain yet (or if he even would want it).

One thing to consider....typically a team is going to give out the letters to 2 forwards and 1 Dman. So if you are handicapping this today, a letter on Faulk possibly means no letter on Slavin (or the other way around). I'm not quite sure Faulk would care that much about that if Slavin is named captain. This is not a set rule of course, both Slavin and Faulk can wear letters, its possible that could happen.

My prediction? I have 2 of them:

* The 'don't shake the tree' prediction:

C - Jordan Staal
A - Justin Williams on the Road, Jeff Skinner at Home (swapped after 41 games)
A - Justin Faulk

* The 'yeah, this guy is and will be our rock for a very long time' prediction:

C - Jaccob Slavin
A - Jordan Staal
A - Justin Williams on the road, Jeff Skinner at Home (swapped after 41 games) OR Justin Faulk (full A) OR all 3 of these guys rotate an 'A'

I think the Canes go with 'don't shake the tree'.

Last edited:
I really hope they don't do that "on the road" and "at home" crap. Are some players shy in front of us Caniacs?

Just let the players vote and move forward. The real leaders show up either way.

The other big con with Staal is "Staal Fatigue" among the fan base. There was a huge sigh of relief when RF dumped him on the Rags. I don't see RF going with the brother now.

It may be that no one has really stepped up to make this an easy decision. If that's the case, then Williams with the C buys you at least an extra 2 years for someone else to mature into the role.

My choice would be:

Williams - C
Skinner - A
Slavin - A

My prediction is:

Williams - C
Staal - A
Faulk - A

Like I keep saying, one thing is for sure, firstname will start with a J. Anything else will come as a surprise.

The other big con with Staal is "Staal Fatigue" among the fan base. There was a huge sigh of relief when RF dumped him on the Rags. I don't see RF going with the brother now.

It may be that no one has really stepped up to make this an easy decision. If that's the case, then Williams with the C buys you at least an extra 2 years for someone else to mature into the role.

100% agree. "Staal Fatigue" is real, start fresh, give it to a guy that screams that you're headed in a new direction. Jordan Staal has never struck me as a guy that is even interested in being the Captain of the ship. Personally I like Slavin...the guy not only leads with his play, he will be here a long time with that new contract and seems to be a fixture on the D, he seems to really be a pillar locally in the community too with his wife and has taken to Raleigh from the get go. I'd be happy with J.Will too, but that's likely only a 2 year captaincy at best.

I really hope they don't do that "on the road" and "at home" crap. Are some players shy in front of us Caniacs?

I agree, I don't really care for that with Alternates...but the Canes made it even worse of course with Staal and Faulk as co-captains. That is the ultimate cop out.

Staal and Faulk are co-captains.

Huh? Only 1 captain can be named on the scoresheet.

Update: Staal at home, Faulk on the road and then flip for the 42nd game.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the fact that Jordan has a home jersey on and Faulk has a road jersey on means that Staal will be Captain at home and Faulk will be captain on the road (at least for the first half of the year). Whoever isn't 'C' that night will have an A. Not sure what they will do with the other 'A', but since they had no hesitation rotating the 'C' I suspect they will rotate the 2nd 'A' all over the place.

You are correct, each team can only have 1 guy with a 'C' each game.

I'm disappointed with this. Hopefully this is the low point for this franchise this season.

Last edited:
How about this. Whatever day of the month it is, you get to be Captain!

Opening night. Say hello to Captain Derek Ryan! Ron comes out of retirement vs. Columbus.

Skinner is the other Alternate. Whichever of Staal/Faulk isn't wearing the C will get the other A.

I don't see how giving the "C" to Williams made any sense. The guy hasn't earned it with this team yet. Not surprised that didn't happen.

This is a bit dumb. But maybe this is what the team wants.

I don't like Staal (as C). I also liked the idea of Slavin.

The choices do reflect the core though. Unfortunately, JW is not a part of that, as much as I wanted him to have a letter and strongly feel he will lend a lot of leadership to this club.

Back