• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

TRADE: Leafs acquire G Calvin Pickard from Vegas

Good NHL numbers as a backup, struggled last year when he played 50 games.

What does this mean for McElhinney?

Vegas had tried all week to move Pickard, but after clearing waivers he was more desirable as he could be sent to AHL by his new team

Guessing the Leafs send Pickard to the AHL, ready to come up later if they need him.

For the moment, nothing.

Since Pickard cleared waivers yesterday, the Leafs can assign him directly to the AHL.

So what this means is that if Andersen or McElhinney go down to injury, or if McElhinney struggles for an extended period of time, we have a guy who's already proven he can be a solid NHL backup waiting in the wings.

Two birds stoned at once here folks. From the looks of things Picks got off to a lucky start in the NHL and was pretty bad last year in a larger sample. He's a slightly above average ahl goalie it seems. So you can't expect much more than .905 in the NHL, .910 if hot. But this is what you want.. depth.. when you have a weak backup like Macs it's nice to have some insurance. Sparksy simply can't handle the show. He's terrible despite the ahl numbers.

And as I posted in the other thread, leafs needed to clear space. Trading the Lindberg's and rychels will go a long way to trim the fat. these guys are 4th line potential players at the very best. They needed to clear some spots for guys like bracco who have the chance to be more than that. I have doubts that bracco will succeed but the last thing you want is for him to be in the coast. At Lindberg's age, it's time for him to be cycled out. Give the younger guys a chance because if they're stuck in the press box or in the coast, it's a waste of a year. In a few years, trade out the ones that don't progress. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
nice to have in the AHL. but I'm scared they choose kaskisuo over sparks.

Two birds stoned at once here folks. From the looks of things Picks got off to a lucky start in the NHL and was pretty bad last year in a larger sample. He's a slightly above average ahl goalie it seems. So you can't expect much more than .905 in the NHL, .910 if hot. But this is what you want.. depth.. when you have a weak backup like Macs it's nice to have some insurance. Sparksy simply can't handle the show. He's terrible despite the ahl numbers.

Where to you come up with this? He posted .904 last season starting behind a godawful team. Prior to that, he posted .932 in 16 games and .922 in 20. But, according to your 'analysis', he'll hit .910 if hot? What?

Meanwhile, 17 NHL games from Sparks behind an equally trash team to last year's Avs says he can't handle the show? To add to this wonderful analysis, his 17 NHL games invalidates the numbers he's posted in the AHL.

This is up there with the exceptionally average Marner.

Where to you come up with this? He posted .904 last season starting behind a godawful team. Prior to that, he posted .932 in 16 games and .922 in 20. But, according to your 'analysis', he'll hit .910 if hot? What?

Meanwhile, 17 NHL games from Sparks behind an equally trash team to last year's Avs says he can't handle the show? To add to this wonderful analysis, his 17 NHL games invalidates the numbers he's posted in the AHL.

This is up there with the exceptionally average Marner.

Eh look at his ahl stats. You can't take a short NHL stint over 163 games of data. He's a good ahl goalie but he hasn't shown much to me to prove that he's anything more than NHL backup potential. Did you expect that from a guy that cleared waivers?

Yeah, Mizzi's assessment of Pickard seems overly harsh. That Avalanche team was one of the worst teams of the loser point era by a pretty wide margin, and last year was also his first kick at the can as a starter at 24 years of age.

His performance as an NHL backup prior than that, and his AHL stats are pretty encouraging.

He's right about Lindberg though. He was a pure contract dump.

They needed a 3rd goalie and gave up basically nothing so its hard not to like. Lindberg has some potential, but he was never going to make it here.

Now at least if there is an injury they have a 3rd NHL calibre goalie so they don't have to throw away the season.

And my opinion of sparks is eye test based. He just can't keep up with nhlers. Maybe he figures it out but I have Picks ahead of him on the depth chart for sure.

Yeah, Mizzi's assessment of Pickard seems overly harsh. That Avalanche team was one of the worst teams of the loser point era by a pretty wide margin, and last year was also his first kick at the can as a starter at 24 years of age.

His performance as an NHL backup prior than that, and his AHL stats are pretty encouraging.

He's right about Lindberg though. He was a pure contract dump.

Oh encouraging for sure. He absolutely has NHL backup potential. Which is what a .905-.910 goaltender is. That wasn't meant to be harsh assessment.

Oh encouraging for sure. He absolutely has NHL backup potential. Which is what a .905-.910 goaltender is. That wasn't meant to be harsh assessment.
By not arguing against LGM calling him Mizzi, he confirms it (if it wasn't confirmed yet).

Eh look at his ahl stats. You can't take a short NHL stint over 163 games of data. He's a good ahl goalie but he hasn't shown much to me to prove that he's anything more than NHL backup potential. Did you expect that from a guy that cleared waivers?

Passing waivers for goalies is more or less irrelevant, as teams would have to put one of their two current roster goalies on waivers to fit one on the roster.

In terms of Sparks those AHL numbers show potential of NHL goaltending. One wee stint at a young age for a goaltender behind a tanking team means very little.

Eye test means nothing with goaltending evaluation. It's entirely about stopping pucks no matter how they do it.

Back