• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Wild 10/7 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Hurricanes open their 20th anniversary season with expectations as high as they've been in many years.

With a flurry of offseason moves, GMRF brought in a #1 goalie, a right shot dman and an upgrade at 4C. And oh yeah, welcome back Justin Williams. The draft brought an unexpected surprise in Martin Necas, who Francis had ranked 4th on his draft board. Necas made the team, but in an undefined role. Is Darling a #1 goalie? Is there enough scoring? Can Teravainen and Lindholm take the next step? Will the power play still suck?

The Wild opened their season with a 4-2 loss to the Red Wings on Thursday. Zach Parise is out with another back injury.

South Plaza party starts at 5. Everyone at the game gets a hat tonight. Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Woo Hoo! Can't wait!

I'm in the Lower Bowl this year and I can't wait to see everything from a new perspective.

The Captain thing has me less optimistic for this season, but we are getting there.

Go Canes! Anybody want to feed me with delicious tailgate food?

About time we started this season. We start the season tied for 5th in the Metro that's just not cool NHL.

Go Canes!. I'll be listening to Chuck as I head home then John and Tripp.

First time in years I feel optimistic heading to the arena for a home opener.

I implore you, hockey gods, to show us your favor this season. May the team be resilient, patient, confident and get good bounces. May the legs always be moving, the power play be effective, the puck battles fiercely fought, the stupid penalties be few and the leaky goaltending be thing of the past. amen

Last edited:
Looking forward to it...the long wait is over. Scott Darling, its up to you man, please PLEASE be the goaltender we've been missing.

First time in years I feel optimistic heading to the arena for a home opener.

I implore you, hockey gods, to show us your favor this season. May the team be resilient, patient, confident and get good bounces. May the legs always be moving, the power play be effective, the puck battles fiercely fought, the stupid penalties be few and the leaky goaltending be thing of the past. amen

All of that...plus, start off on the right foot and do not lay an egg tonight on home ice...especially to Eric Staal!!! The feel good hype, the new additions, the kids, let's hope they all are pulling on the same rope. There is nothing worse than having a full house and an excited fan base to kick off the year and you shat the bed and let all that air out of the balloon quickly.

Sure wish the weather felt a bit more hockey-like, but I guess Franchise can’t fix everything.

I sure wish like there were actual expectations. I know the 4 people who cover this team for a living have expectations. And a handful of the less than 7,000 season ticket holders. I’m not sure anybody else really expects anything special.

Personally, I hope Darling makes us one notch better. Anything else we get by way of improvement, fine.

There is nothing worse than having a full house and an excited fan base to kick off the year and you shat the bed and let all that air out of the balloon quickly

Not going to be a sellout unless about 250 walkups are willing to fork over $100+ for the very high priced center ice and club level seats for silver level prices. Plenty of seats in those sections still available.

Last edited:
Canes win Slavin shows the forwards how it is done. Darling stopped all 3 shots in the shootout. 5-4 Canes. Course What I want to know is how the ref missed the interference on the last second goal by both Dumba (Goalie) and Eric Staal on The defender over there.

Aho and the entire blue line in the third were outstanding. Glad Darling was able to hold them off in the shootout.

Darling = .852

Yeah we need him to be better. Also need to not give up 2 breakaways every game. Honestly we didn't play all that well til the third. Well Williams showed up in the second. but The third the team showed.

Well Except Skinner. His hands were like Patrick Dwyer's tonight. (Hands of Stone or Feet or something not good)

Last edited:
Canes win Slavin shows the forwards how it is done. Darling stopped all 3 shots in the shootout. 5-4 Canes. Course What I want to know is how the ref missed the interference on the last second goal by both Dumba (Goalie) and Eric Staal on The defender over there.

The league still has no clue when it comes to goalie interference. It's a joke when a goalie is not allowed to have room to move to make a save in his own crease.

Just got home and what an exciting game! We started slow and at times looked like 2016 Hurricanes 2.0, but got much stronger as the game wore on. Clearly, Aho was the best offensive player on the ice - his two setups were things of beauty. Hanifin got undressed twice tonight (and his penalty cost us a goal, too), but at least he buried his chance to make amends and his game also picked up in the 3rd. Darlings save % looks bad, but he was really left on his own on three of those goals. The fourth should never have been allowed. Terrible non-call by the officials. Seeing Darling play big in the SO heralds a new era for this team.

Back