• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Waddell is being interviewed on XM right now. If anyone hears it, plz report. Thanks.

I'm not sure if there is a way to get at the full interview, but from what I've heard from other people Waddell basically said that we are looking to make substantial changes but will be smart about it. He was specifically asked about Skinner and Faulk and he basically said in so many words that they are available. Canes also realize that they need goaltending changes. Hopefully someone can figure out how to get at the whole interview.

----edit----

And after listening to the Paul Krepelka, he basically said most of the same things that Waddell said, so the message is consistent, expect some pretty sizable changes, with a lot of it via the trade market. aka you might want to hold off on purchasing any jerseys unless its an Aho jersey.

Last edited:
Cory Lavalette tweeted that there are reports out of Finland that the Canes will sign Saku Maenalanen...

Not quite sure why we would do that. Aho doesn't seem to be hurting for Finnish teammates to be productive. But whatever, that wouldn't be anything to care much about....

I'm not sure if there is a way to get at the full interview, but from what I've heard from other people Waddell basically said that we are looking to make substantial changes but will be smart about it. He was specifically asked about Skinner and Faulk and he basically said in so many words that they are available. Canes also realize that they need goaltending changes. Hopefully someone can figure out how to get at the whole interview.

----edit----

And after listening to the Paul Krepelka, he basically said most of the same things that Waddell said, so the message is consistent, expect some pretty sizable changes, with a lot of it via the trade market. aka you might want to hold off on purchasing any jerseys unless its an Aho jersey.

Thanks .... I have XM, but I just have the radio package and not the internet version where they have a bunch of stuff on demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite sure why we would do that. Aho doesn't seem to be hurting for Finnish teammates to be productive. But whatever, that wouldn't be anything to care much about....

He may just end up as a replacement in Charlotte. Karpat's website lists him at about 185 pounds, so like many of our younger guys, he needs to eat a steak or 12.

Thanks .... I have XM, but I just have the radio package and not the internet version where they have a bunch of stuff on demand.

I was able to go back and listen to it (I have a couple months left of free online access as luck has it). It was basically what I heard from other people:

* Waddell talked up Roddy as head coach
* Was asked about Bill Peters, complimented job that Peters did and decision he made to move on, new voice required.
* What is Tom Dundon like? Nothing new there, heavily collaborative and process oriented, decision making as a group.
* Excited about being GM, Rick Dudley will be part of the collaborative process in decision making
* What is message to Canes fans? Some players have been here for quite a few years, changes are necessary, looking at all options. Likely will keep #2 pick and expect him to go right into the lineup. Excited about Necas and other younger players. Lots of good pieces, need to fix goaltending, know "we can't bring same 2 guys back". Comment on Darling's conditioning last season, they are going to work with Darling on that. Letting other GMs know we are in market for goalie.
* Jeff Skinner and Justin Faulk question - Looking at every position, missed playoff last 9 years, some players have been around last 7-8 years. Looking to make changes that will make team better not just change to make change.

So no bombshells really. Steve Kouleas immediately afterwards talked about time for Skinner to move on.

Personally I'm non-committal either way on Skinner. If we are going to trade him the return sure as heck better be fantastic. I would be perfectly ok with keeping him. BUT all of the chatter when you read between the lines is that Skinner is probably going to be dealt. I've been trying to ease my older daughter who is a Skinner fangirl into the reality that Jeff is likely going to be traded, but she is in denial....

Last edited:
Thanks much, CMal. I think we can all hypothesize about who has been there too long and who has to go to change the culture, but I suppose the best person to know that is RB’A. If Skinner and Faulk don’t fit with what RB’A needs, then they ought to go. I’m happy that these sorts of root and branch changes are being discussed and hopefully will be carried out. I hope that RB’A has a lot of input into who ought to go. Also very pleased that they seem serious about fixing the goaltending issue and not just trying to fix Darling with no Plan B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, they are talking trying to get a goalie via trade. Any ideas out there?

Its the ongoing issue....if you have a #1 goalie, chances are you don't want to deal him unless you have a clear replacement in waiting. There are very few teams that would be willing to deal their starting goalie. Those that have almost 1A/B situations are teams like Washington, who isn't going to be all that keen on helping us secure a goalie.

We can go trolling again for backups who look like starters in waiting. We are zero for our last 3 in that department with Khudobin (we probably just blew it there, should have kept him), Lack and now Darling. Juuse Saros will be an RFA as was only making $700k so he is due a pay raise. Nashville probably has him as their eventual replacement for Rinne, but are somewhat cap crunched. There are other #2s out there that probably could be had via a trade. I know there was talk about Anaheim moving on from John Gibson....well, yeah, that's nice, but who are THEY going to have as their #1 if they do that? Ryan Miller turns 38 this summer. They can't exactly deal Gibson to the Canes, they don't have a replacement goalie.

Its ugly out there if you need a starting goalie. The Canes really need to hit a jackpot on another goalie draft pick.

In addition to the immediate need for goaltending, there is nothing in the pipeline either. All those picks Rutherford made for goalies and I just thought it was a preference, but perhaps he was onto something. Goalie Ned does not look like NHL material. So, while we need a goalie NOW we also need a goalie for the future. I hope there's some effort and movement in that direction.

Anything to the rumor (McKenzie) that the leaves could be after Justin Faulk? Maybe for Conner Brown? Nylander was also mentioned... Also heard some talk about Edmonton maybe trading the 10th pick to the Canes for D help.

I've heard more than one source on the radio mention Faulk to the Leaves. They desperately need defense. Just how desperately, we will have to see.

Anything to the rumor (McKenzie) that the leaves could be after Justin Faulk? Maybe for Conner Brown? Nylander was also mentioned... Also heard some talk about Edmonton maybe trading the 10th pick to the Canes for D help.

Well Bob McKenzie is one of the more reliable guys out there. I'm sure the Leafs would love to make a trade for a Canes DMan. Conner Brown? Umm...yeah, that isn't even remotely close.

I would like to say the Canes are not about to trade a top 4 Dman for a 3rd line winger. We have PLENTY of 3rd line wingers already. But of course we have no idea what the new braintrust will actually do. A trade of a valuable DMan for a Conner Brown type? Yeah, that sounds like a Hartford Whalers type trade where a whole bunch of very good NHL assets go out and plugger like Jocelyn Lemieux is the highlight of the return. If we go down that road you might as well pack it in and fold.

A Nylander type return is where the Canes needs to be keeping the conversation if they are going to deal any of Slavin, Hanifin, or Faulk. As for the 10th overall pick, not quite sure how that would help the Canes win now, which is part of what I suspect Dundon is looking to do. We don't need to be accumulating a bunch of picks and clearing out our NHL assets in the process. We need to build a winning NHL team, like NOW. If we are trading top 4 DMen as part of that effort, getting a 1st round pick or a 3rd line RW as the primary return is certainly not going to result in a playoff team for next season (unless we flip that 1st round pick for a good NHL player).

Nylander makes sense. Brown makes sense only if the deal includes somebody a heck of a lot better than Brown. Nylander also really needs a move out of there to grow, I think. He's forever going to be second fiddle to Matthews if he stays.

Back