Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1215

Thread: 2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    Skinner, Faulk, Turbo and Lindholm are absent from the Canes schedule photo shoots. The lack of publicity is telling.
    Meh. In recent years the trend has been to settle in on a couple of guys. Aho and Staal at the current moment. No biggie there

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

N&O sent a reporter to the draft for first time since 07, they sent DeCock. So that's probably their entire Canes travel budget for the season.

Also the Raleigh kid was on the flight that had to return to RDU but he got there today.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s been reported Skinner has exercised his NMC and squashed a couple of trades....

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Waddell says a new goalie will be signed in a week to 10 days. They could decide to buyout Darling after all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post
    It’s been reported Skinner has exercised his NMC and squashed a couple of trades....
    Reporting on this topic has been all over the place. One thing is clear ... Skinner is eventually going to be traded, so everybody needs to get their head around it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    Waddell says a new goalie will be signed in a week to 10 days. They could decide to buyout Darling after all.
    I was kind of hoping that they would find a goaltender that could be a clear number one and thus make all the Darling complications seem more trouble that they're worth. Seems based on this statement that we could be moving in that direction. I hate to bail on a guy, but I just can't make myself believe that Darling has anything to offer to the franchise. Now or in future.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Can Darling go to Europe if he's not bought out? That could be an option for him if the rules allow it. And if he does go there do the Canes need to pay him? He might prefer Euro team over the AHL given the choice. I think you can't go to Europe under NHL contract but maybe the rules changed on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
    Can Darling go to Europe if he's not bought out? That could be an option for him if the rules allow it. And if he does go there do the Canes need to pay him? He might prefer Euro team over the AHL given the choice. I think you can't go to Europe under NHL contract but maybe the rules changed on that.
    CM is the king of these CBA scenarios, but I think you can put your NHL contract in the legal freezer while you play in Europe. You could in the old system.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like he would still be owed 3 years pay by the Canes if he returns to the NHL? Assuming no buyout. (or 3 years by another NHL team if he got traded )

Post Thanks / Like

You can loan your players under NHL contract to teams in Europe. If they are not subject to NHL entry level slide rules, you basically are shipping them off to go play for that other team. You still are paying them in that scenario and the contract seasons still go by, unless you have specifically included in the SPC that you will not pay the player if loaned to a club outside of North America. That is actually explained in CBA 11.19. Still burn contract years in that scenario.

This is different from a player just refusing to report and going to play elsewhere (defected players). If the player and team agree to loan the player out he can play just about anywhere I believe. Still has the cap hit, still get paid his salary unless you added a clause to his SPC saying otherwise. contract years count (again not counting entry level slides like Necas last season). So yeah, we could loan out Darling to Europe if he agrees to go. We still have to pay him though, unless GMRF was thinking ahead....
    Last edited by cmaleski2; Today at 01:41 PM.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

So no money saved by sending a guy to Europe. they could hope he could play well enough there to make a trade happen. I assume he can return from Europe at any time if he's traded and his new team wants him back in the NHL?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, we're becoming a real hockey market. Haha. Players refusing teams with their NMC. Love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlapShots View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I swear those things are the bane of any GM's life. Why they hand them out like candy I have no clue.

All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think many players would take less money for the ability to partially control where they play. I sure would . For example does anyone want to go to Buffalo? They should pre print "screw Buffalo" on the NTC of all contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

I get that, but when it's time to move a guy I have a hard time believing that the team gives a crap about that $50K or whatever you saved. No possible way these guys are shaving millions off of their deals just to get a NMC.

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061