• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

The NBC schedule is out and we get our requisite 1 games, March 26 in Washington.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...-109-games-during-2018-19-nhl-regular-season/

109 games = 218 "chances" / 31 teams ~~ 7 each. Yeah, real diverse. Since they're starting last season to take Forslund for other national games and leave us with his backup, they should at least give us that many games.

So that's the "fairness" take. But personally, I'm fine with NBC not screwing with our schedule and watching Forslund and mini-me on whatever becomes of Fox Sports Carolinas as long as that's still there.

Sort of how it seems like the Red Sox and Yankees play each other on ESPN about a hundred times a year. Of course, they have to justify the amount of time the guys on ESPN radio spend talking about them. (I am assuming it hasn't changed in the five years since I stopped listening to ESPN radio.)

Yankees and Red Sox play other teams besides each other?

Blackhawks are on NBC 19 times and they were worse than the Canes last season. As they say , follow the money.

Last edited:
Yankees and Red Sox play other teams besides each other?

Blackhawks are on NBC 19 times and they were worse than the Canes last season. As they say , follow the money.

They were on 17 times last year, so they’re being rewarded for their fine season.

And MLB has a limit on the number of times each team can appear on a national broadcast. So while it seems that the Yankees/Red Sox are always on, that’s not the case.

A few thoughts on just how stupid it is to use the word "diverse" with this schedule ....

- 11 teams appear 2 times of fewer, with those 11 teams totaling 12 appearances.

- 2 teams appear a total of 37 times, and 1 of them (Chicago) didn't even make the playoffs last season. Let that one soak in for a minute.

So, fully 35% of your teams appear in 12 games, or 5% of the total appearances. At the other end of the train, 6% of your teams appear in 37 games representing 17% of the total appearances. Sure. Nobody should complain about THAT at a Governors meeting anytime soon.

Did the Canes get extra games in 06-07 year? I can't recall, maybe they got 1 extra game.

OLN/Versus only carried 54 games in the 06-07 season. The Canes were on 4 times, including the first game of the season, an ECF rematch against the Slugs. All 4 games were on before Thanksgiving. NBC had 9 weekends with regional games. The Canes were on twice, against Atlanta and the Rangers.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/...ef-schedule-2006-07-regular-nhl-season-59091/

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2006-07-nhl-on-nbc-schedule.279111/

College FB used to limit teams TV games because TV wanted to show Notre Dame every week since they have a big fan base all over the US. That limit went away in the 80s and now most power 5 teams - ACC, Big 10, SEC,etc. are on some network every week. And of course now ND has their own network , NBC, for home games. Their road games are all on other networks.

For the record, I'm NOT arguing that the Hurricanes should get extra games on NBC, but rather that the schedulers at NBC need to be whacked in the head and reminded by their NHL "partners" that there are more than 10 or 12 teams in the league. It matters less when they shaft the Canadian teams because they have their own national broadcasts to level the playing field. But for the US markets getting less than five games, that schedule is a gigantic EFF YOU. That list is Columbus, NJ, Arizona, Carolina, Dallas, Florida and the Island. And if you'll notice ... most of those teams are pretty good. Really all of them except Arizona have at least an outside shot at the playoffs.

Bottom line ... this schedule is horse crap and the league knows it. To pass it off as "diverse?" That takes balls.

Which teams will get the most viewers and bring more $$$ into the nhl coffers?
If the revenue is evenly divided among the teams then I’d want the most revenue producing games National tv.

ESPN did not show Red Sox - Yankees last night, it was Mets - Yankees. :) But have no fear the Red Sox are on tomorrow night vs Philly.

Noticed the Panthers get 3 national TV games but mostly because of who they play those 3 games - Cowboys, Steelers, Saints. The first 2 teams get lots of national games.

Last edited:
Which teams will get the most viewers and bring more $$$ into the nhl coffers?
If the revenue is evenly divided among the teams then I’d want the most revenue producing games National tv.

Yup. Sounds great.

Right up the point where players looking at free agent offers or contract renewals start to wonder what it might be like to play on national TV more than once a year.

Sadly I think in all sports small market teams get shafted on national games. It should not be that way but I don't see it changing.

Blackhawks are on TV more than reruns of Law and Order :smilielol5:

Sadly I think in all sports small market teams get shafted on national games. It should not be that way but I don't see it changing.

Blackhawks are on TV more than reruns of Law and Order :smilielol5:

On what planet are Dallas, Miami and Northern New Jersey small markets?

Small in viewership, you'll probably say .... and how are we supposed to promote more viewership when they don't appear on National broadcasts, even when they have good teams and promotable star players? I ain't buying it. This schedule is simple idiocy. Somebody at Comcast (who own the Flyers, BTW and ought to have more of a clue than this) submitted a schedule and the twits at the league office in New York said ... "sure, fine." I can guarantee that this is exactly how many cares are given about any of the "other" markets. MAYBE somebody asked if we got a couple of games for the newbs out in Vegas. Maybe.

But, whatever. I get fired up about this same garbage every year and none of you care. So be it.

Last edited:
Back