• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

But think of how John and Tripp would translate to radio. He's broadcasted on a visual medium. When they cut to the camera in the corner and he says "as we see", that doesn't help the radio listener. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WCMC-FM

I once heard Tim McCarver discuss the difference between broadcasting on TV vs. on radio. His position is that on radio the broadcaster's role is to describe the action, while on TV the role is to augment the action. While he was specifically talking about baseball, the concept he describes makes sense to me and would seem to apply to other sports as well. And it also makes me worry that a simulcast would significantly downgrade the quality of the radio broadcast.

Seems more like Dundon is following the Jerry Jones of the Cowboys model and also using ideas from the Stars and Mavericks. Which makes sense given where he has been living for the past long while.

At one time I heavily relied on Chuck and the radio broadcast. I worked 2nd shift for 13 years. But the signal was always terrible, and often useless. Lately, I haven't listened to a game, in probably 5 or 6 years. I'll catch bits and pieces on my way home, etc. But honestly, as crappy as it sounds, I wouldn't miss it. At all. Shame if Chuck lost his job though.

But with online streams, Id venture to guess that the average Canes game has fewer than 100 listeners.

Only times I've listened on the radio are coming home in the car, either after working late or dinner out.

Anyone else starting to feel like Tom Dundon has Bill Wirtz's DNA??

Meh ... different era, different methodology. Wirtz was just cheap without any real common decency applied to the cheapness. He didn't really care if the team was any good so long as he made money. Dundon is cheap, but I think he wants to win. I think the current business school term for his general approach is "radical pragmatism." I'm enough of a pragmatist myself to have a grudging admiration for a guy that doesn't want to spend money on stuff that doesn't really help us win games just because that's "the way it's always been done." And let's be honest here ... a radio network with one broadcast outlet isn't helping the Canes win games. But it is costing them a lot of money.

For me it basically comes down to where I am. Since I'm at most of the 41 home games, I don't listen to the radio then. For road games, if I'm driving around, which with my schedule happens a lot around game times, I will put the game on the radio until such point that I'm back home. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to a game on the radio, but if its on and I'm driving I will listen. I probably listen to parts of maybe 20 road games a season on average, maybe catching about 30-45 minutes of the broadcast.

I think your number is a bit low Kahuna, but I think you have the factor right...somewhere below 1k listeners maybe? Not sure how they would tell and you can't count the times you leave your seat at the arena and are listening to Chuck while in the bathroom or getting a jump on a concession line.....

I hope they keep Chuck until he is ready to retire, but I honestly haven't listened to a game on the radio in years. I will tend to watch/listen to the streaming version of the game (Forslund and Tripp), even if just listening to audio in the car over listening to Chuck. Nothing against Chuck, I just prefer Forslund.

I listen to Chuck quite a bit, whether it's on my earbuds when I'm at a game on the in-arena frequency 87.7, or driving in the car, or sometimes on the SiriusXM app on my phone or tablet when I'm not able to watch the TV broadcast.

He's the best and it would be a shame to lose that to trim what little bit of cost (on the big picture scale) would be saved by simulcasting.

I listen to Chuck quite a bit, whether it's on my earbuds when I'm at a game on the in-arena frequency 87.7

I do that too. And I highly recommend it. You don't have to guess at what's going on during stoppages and if you missed something, Chuck's got your back. Many times, Chuck alerted me to things I wasn't looking at.

I would miss that, alot.

Where does the cost come in? Is it Chuck's salary or is it somewhere else? (I feel like I'm missing something obvious around the cost to broadcast).

Could you do it another way ---Internet, etc.....that takes away some of the costs?

Where does the cost come in? Is it Chuck's salary or is it somewhere else? (I feel like I'm missing something obvious around the cost to broadcast).

Could you do it another way ---Internet, etc.....that takes away some of the costs?

I'm thinking it's more the per Diem... (+ salary) but I have no real clue.

it would be salary plus travel costs. Airfare is not an issue since they charter a plane so one less guy doesn't save money. I assume web broadcast only would be cheaper than over FM.

In the first seasons in NC not every game was on TV so some games had Forslund doing color on radio. Forslund also did color for the finals in 2006 .

Meh ... equipment, engineering, technicians, talent ... it all costs money. There are at least 4 guys working those games in addition to Chuck. And look, radio monkies get paid peanuts but even peanuts aren't free. With next to no ad revenue to offset those costs (duh, because there's next to no listeners), it's basically a service to the community. Like college radio. And honestly, if Dundon actually shows some empathy in the process then it's a cost saving move he can pull off. The hockey media are going to crucify him, but so what? They're going to do that anyway and I don't think he really cares anyway.

did the hockey media rip the Stars and Sabres when they went to a simulcast? Seems like Dundon is about as popular as Ebola virus with that crowd. But you are right he doesn't care.

They can just pull out the articles they wrote about Francis getting axed and just replace Francis name with Kaiton. They can even leave in the phrase "hall of famer" :)

The Islanders radio network is hosted by the Hofstra University radio station. Listening to one of their games is a unique experience. Even though they're broadcasting a professional sporting event, they're still a public radio station. So instead of commercials during the breaks, you'll hear the same blurb you hear at the beginning of Fresh Air on NPR. "This Islanders hockey game is brought to you by Geico"

The Islanders radio network is hosted by the Hofstra University radio station. Listening to one of their games is a unique experience. Even though they're broadcasting a professional sporting event, they're still a public radio station. So instead of commercials during the breaks, you'll hear the same blurb you hear at the beginning of Fresh Air on NPR. "This Islanders hockey game is brought to you by Geico"

My cousin who lives in Brooklyn turned me on to that when we were up for the ACC Tourney. It's basically like listening to an NC State baseball game on WKNC, with slightly elevated commentary. Very slightly.

My cousin who lives in Brooklyn turned me on to that when we were up for the ACC Tourney. It's basically like listening to an NC State baseball game on WKNC, with slightly elevated commentary. Very slightly.

Damn. Talk about damning with faint praises.

For a few months in the 70s Charlie Finley of the A's let the UC Berkeley student 10 watt FM station do the A's games. 10 watts is the lowest possible station on FM. (or it was back in the 70s)

Chip Alexander with another piece of fluff.http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article211727654.html

The only remotely interesting bit is that he talked to Rick Curran, agent for Cam Ward, and Curran conveys that there's a little bit of the whiff of inevitability about Cam's chances for a new contract. He didn't sound hopeful at all, but again ... it's not like Alexander asked any probing questions or anything. Apparently that's above his pay grade or something. Here's the relevant quote:“Cam would very much like to stay, as everyone knows,” Rick Curran, Ward’s agent, said this week. “But given the current situation, recognizing they’ve already made a commitment not to having the same goaltending duo, I guess our options are limited.”

Anyhoo ... that's absolutely the only new-ish bit in the whole piece if you wanna give it a pass. Unless you consider yet another version of "we're keeping our options open" from Waddell as news. At this point I think poor Donnie mumbles that into his mirror each night after he brushes his teeth.

Last edited:
Back