• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Someone named Matt Cane posted free agent predictions on his Twitter feed yesterday. It shows both UFAs and RFAs. A couple of highlights:

John Tavares - 8 years/$10.7 million AAV
Connor Hellebuyck - 4 years/$6.7 million
JVR - 3 years/$5.3 million
Elias Lindholm - 5 years/$5 million
Cam Ward - 1 year/$2.9 million
Derek Ryan - 2 years/$2.5 million
Noah Hanifin - 2 years/$2.3 million
TVR - 2 years/$2 million

https://twitter.com/Cane_Matt/status/998562331717234688

Have no knowledge of Hellebuyck's or JVR's situation but would disagree with all his other predictions.

Bridge for Lindholm at less term and slightly more dollars than Rask ($4+M), less $'s for Ward (if any), Ryan (who cares?), Hanifin bridged but for more $'s, TVR will want more, but seems right for term.

Almost all the young guys who were on the Canes in 09-10 are retired. (The guys who were 20-24 that season. ) most were not good enough to last in the NHL more than a few years

John Tavares - 8 years/$10.7 million AAV
Connor Hellebuyck - 4 years/$6.7 million
JVR - 3 years/$5.3 million
Elias Lindholm - 5 years/$5 million
Cam Ward - 1 year/$2.9 million
Derek Ryan - 2 years/$2.5 million
Noah Hanifin - 2 years/$2.3 million
TVR - 2 years/$2 million

Lindholm isn't going to get $5 million per over 5 years. A 5 year deal is going to be anywhere from $4-$4.5 million AAV, not $5 million. Canes are going to be willing to offer term for less AAV (something that Paul Krepelka mentioned this a few times in that interview with the Athletic)

Derek Ryan isn't going to get $2.5 million per anywhere, that is way too high.

IF Noah Hanifin is willing to sign a bridge deal at all, it will not be lower than Jacob Trouba's bridge deal signed a couple of years ago (that had an AAV of $3 million). So $2.3 million is not even close for a bridge deal, it will have a minimum AAV of $3 million.

As for TVR....well....he's going to want more than $2 million per after the season he just had. Somewhere from $2-3 million per over 2 years is fair, we will have to see what number they can agree to. If there is anyone who might end up in arbitration (something the Canes have avoided for a long time now) its probably him.

Lindholm isn't going to get $5 million per over 5 years. A 5 year deal is going to be anywhere from $4-$4.5 million AAV, not $5 million. Canes are going to be willing to offer term for less AAV (something that Paul Krepelka mentioned this a few times in that interview with the Athletic)

Derek Ryan isn't going to get $2.5 million per anywhere, that is way too high.

IF Noah Hanifin is willing to sign a bridge deal at all, it will not be lower than Jacob Trouba's bridge deal signed a couple of years ago (that had an AAV of $3 million). So $2.3 million is not even close for a bridge deal, it will have a minimum AAV of $3 million.

As for TVR....well....he's going to want more than $2 million per after the season he just had. Somewhere from $2-3 million per over 2 years is fair, we will have to see what number they can agree to. If there is anyone who might end up in arbitration (something the Canes have avoided for a long time now) its probably him.

Agree with all of this, in general.

TVR is going to be tricky. Others with his general game and "potential" production have gotten paid more than he's really worth so the comparables will work in favor of the player. Problem being that he's a hit and miss guy who doesn't show up at anything close to the same level every game. I'd be happy to let him walk as opposed to paying too much ... except we're so short of right siders that the stakes are elevated.

Hanifin is the other one that we all know is going to be problematic. He was on a nice development arc right up to this season when I thought his mental game floundered badly. His decision making got significantly worse, which was amplified by him being routinely saddled with a partner who was also on mental walkabout for some reason. No doubt the kid still has a huge ceiling, but there has to be significant doubt about whether or not he's ever going to hit it. If it's me, I'm cautious as humanly possible with this contract, and I'd like to see a bridge deal here. I honestly think it would benefit both the player and the team in the long run.

The question with Lindholm is do you want him long term and in what role. Figure that out first, and then offer him money and term commensurate with that role.

Ryan ... why in God's name would we nearly double his paycheck AGAIN?

Ward ... who knows? I do think they'll bring him back to be the backup, but I have no idea what his actual value is. I know this ... I wouldn't pay him a penny more than whatever the team decides that value might be.

Last edited:
Ryan ... why in God's name would we nearly double his paycheck AGAIN?

The table isn't an indication that we're going to pay that, only and estimate of what they'll get from somebody. With Ryan, as long as the somebody isn't us, more power to him.

...TVR is going to be tricky. Others with his general game and "potential" production have gotten paid more than he's really worth so the comparables will work in favor of the player. Problem being that he's a hit and miss guy who doesn't show up at anything close to the same level every game. I'd be happy to let him walk as opposed to paying too much ... except we're so short of right siders that the stakes are elevated.

I'm with you on the happy to let him walk as opposed to paying too much. He is indeed a big oops! at times and not at all a steady Eddie. I'm not all that impressed.

I know we're short at right-shot D, but McKeown looks promising enough to take the third pairing with Fleury...at least until Fleury is traded (another one I won't miss) to make room for Bean.

Instead I would like to see a right-shot veteran acquired via trade component or centerpiece (return for Skinner?) that would bolster the right-side D ranks, pair with Hanifin as his learning curve continues, and let Slavin/Pesce be a thing.

And TVR is not my first choice for that role.

I'm a Lindholm fan and believer. But if I'm the org, I'm laying something like this (Player Comparison) on the table.

Five seasons for Lindholm and four for Rask and nearly identical career numbers with both generating points at 0.50/game. Rask slightly more in the form of goals with Lindholm leaning toward assists (with many of them being primary).

And during Rask's contract season ('15-'16) before his $4M/yr contract he scored 21 goals and 48 points.

Compared with Lindholm's contract season ('17-'18) where he only scored 16 goals and 44 points.

So why, Elias, do you believe you should be earning more than Victor?

Unfortunate enough that Rask's contract has become the benchmark for forwards. But, if so, let's use it.

The table isn't an indication that we're going to pay that, only and estimate of what they'll get from somebody. With Ryan, as long as the somebody isn't us, more power to him.
Sure ... edit that to "why would ANYONE double that guy's paycheck AGAIN?" and we're all good.

Waddell had some lite press availability today, by which I mean it seems like only Chip Alexander is reporting on it. Anytime Chip is the only guy taking notes, it's by definition "lite." Here's some highlights:

Carolina has added another operations and analytics guy ... Bob Teofilio formerly of the Coyotes front office.

Looks like it's "unlikely" that the Canes will sign Elyniuk before the deadline. Back to the draft, big skinny.

No decision yet on re-signing Ward, Stepniak or Ryan. No decision on not re-signing them either.

Waddell confirmed that Klas Dahlbeck has signed with a KHL club.

Ward might have to wait until the draft or July 1 before he gets signed. They could make a deal for someone else at #2 at the draft or around that time.

No decision yet on re-signing Ward, Stepniak or Ryan. No decision on not re-signing them either.

Come on Don W.....the Canes are not going to re-sign Lee Stempniak. You can say it, no one's feelings are going to be hurt and no one is going to slam that move.

Thanks for the 2 seasons Lee, good luck with the rest of your career if this is not the end of it.

Might not be any more radio for the Canes. Or they might just put John and Tripp on the radio.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article211655619.html

The big news there being that if they decide to drop radio or go with a TV simulcast, then Chuck Kaiton is out of a job. He's nowhere near thinking of retirement (based on a conversation I had with him at Rey's last fall) and is one the best if not the best radio guy working in the NHL. I understand full well that radio is a money pit for pro sports. It just doesn't bring in enough revenue to cover the costs in the modern era ... not for Carolina, not for anyone. The teams that stick with it do it largely to serve the older portion of their long term fanbase, which is not a real issue in this market where Carolina's demographics skew ridiculously young overall.

But as a new owner do you really want to cut your Hall of Fame radio announcer off at the knees only a few years before a graceful retirement in your first summer? I'd guess that Dundon will do whatever his number crunchers tell him makes the most sense. Sentimentality not being the guy's long suit, after all.

Come on Don W.....the Canes are not going to re-sign Lee Stempniak. You can say it, no one's feelings are going to be hurt and no one is going to slam that move.

Thanks for the 2 seasons Lee, good luck with the rest of your career if this is not the end of it.

Yeah, but clearly Donnie's not going out on any limbs and they haven't had made their final decisions on UFAs yet. I'd be absolutely shocked if Stempniak is back.

they may have offered Kaiton a deal with a pay cut . And the compromise would be he only works home games for less money. Just a guess .

Not long ago a major league team in another sport , can't recall which sport or team, tried to stop doing radio. The league stepped in and told them to keep doing radio. I want to say it was baseball?

My first question when I started reading the article was 'is there any other NHL team that doesn't have a separate radio broadcast?' and the article explains yes with the Stars just running the TV feed.

Wow man, its one thing to dump Ronnie Franchise in clumsy fashion, but this franchise did that before once. Chuck Kaiton has been the radio voice of this franchise for every single year of its NHL existence and he is widely regarded as one the best in the league. I have no idea what he gets paid. I understand the business side of this consideration and that radio is a money pit, so if they do elect to save some cash by replacing Chuck with the TV feed, then yeah, I get that from the business side. Even if the Dallas Stars and other NHL teams do this already, if you thought that our dumping of Ronnie Franchise as GM was roundly slammed by the media, just wait, because if we follow that up by dumping Chuck K., oh boy. Can you really ever play Brass Bonanza at PNC again if we shut down Chuck K. before he is ready to retire?

I would miss Chuck K. quite a bit...I grew up with Chuck K. and the Whalers. The reality for me though is that as long as I can hear the game live on the radio at the points in time I want to, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. My heart would hurt though, that would be a pretty cold business move even if it makes sense financially.

Last edited:
IIRC Buffalo's got a TV simulcast also. Although, God help anyone who has to listen to Rick Jeannaret, much less look at the freaking guy.

And I agree. The optics on that would be bad. Worse than bad, actually.

My first question when I started reading the article was 'is there any other NHL team that doesn't have a separate radio broadcast?' and the article explains yes with the Stars just running the TV feed.

Wow man, its one thing to dump Ronnie Franchise in clumsy fashion, but this franchise did that before once. Chuck Kaiton has been the radio voice of this franchise for every single year of its NHL existence and he is widely regarded as one the best in the league. I have no idea what he gets paid. I understand the business side of this consideration and that radio is a money pit, so if they do elect to save some cash by replacing Chuck with the TV feed, then yeah, I get that from the business side. Even if the Dallas Stars and other NHL teams do this already, if you thought that our dumping of Ronnie Franchise as GM was roundly slammed by the media, just wait, because if we follow that up by dumping Chuck K., oh boy. Can you really ever play Brass Bonanza at PNC again if we shut down Chuck K. before he is ready to retire?

I would miss Chuck K. quite a bit...I grew up with Chuck K. and the Whalers. The reality for me though is that as long as I can hear the game live on the radio at the points in time I want to, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. My heart would hurt though, that would be a pretty cold business move even if it makes sense financially.

I've never listened to a Stars simulcast. But I've listened to soccer simulcasts. I know that soccer is completely different and the English TV announcers sometimes go for long periods without speaking. But think of how John and Tripp would translate to radio. He's broadcasted on a visual medium. When they cut to the camera in the corner and he says "as we see", that doesn't help the radio listener.

But really, how many listeners do we have? Chuck refers to the "Hurricanes Radio Network" when he goes to commercial, but isn't it a network of 1 station? This is their coverage area. It's OK, the station is rated at 26,500 watts. But the coverage area doesn't reach Greensboro or Greenville and their "local" coverage area doesn't even reach Oxford. I can tell you that there are mornings on my way to work that I pick up significant interference on that station when I get close to Oxford.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WCMC-FM

I'd prefer if they got rid of Tripp and kept Chuck and Johnny Sideburns. Or, let Forslund go to NBC as Doc's replacement and get rid of Tripp. Or, just get rid of Tripp.

Anyone else starting to feel like Tom Dundon has Bill Wirtz's DNA??

Back