• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

for those that don't know BrindAmour's wife is the daughter of a very good NCSU BB player from the 60s (all ACC twice) so I think she grew up here. Her father also coached at NCSU and was the head coach at UNC-A for almost 20 years. He was an assistant for the 74 NCSU title team.

Fast Eddie Beidenbach ... a real Wolfpack legend and one of the best human beings I've ever met. He comes to a bunch of Canes games now that he's mostly retired. If anybody ever runs into him, have a chat. He's a delight.

that would be a good trivia question - name 2 guys who both won a championship in 2 different sports , and one guy is the father in law of the other guy.

and I think both have their jerseys honored at PNC right? (Not sure about Biedenbach's jersey. )

that would be a good trivia question - name 2 guys who both won a championship in 2 different sports , and one guy is the father in law of the other guy.

and I think both have their jerseys honored at PNC right? (Not sure about Biedenbach's jersey. )

Yeah ... he's up there. He was a terrific point guard. One of the 4 or 5 best in State's history.

A deeper dive on the radio broadcast / Kaiton issue:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article214982555.html

I mean, kind of deeper. I'm not sure how much deeper you can go than the bottom line ... with less and less people actually listening to the broadcasts, radio is a budget suck with next to no offsetting income. Chuck is awesome, nobody is saying anything else. But if keeping his broadcasts on the air is just an audio museum piece then sooner or later the owner has the right to say "it's just not worth the cost."

And before we get the usual "but how much could it possibly cost" stuff ... it's not just Kaiton's salary. The team is in essence buying airtime for the broadcasts and selling their own advertising. You've got to pay for airtime, sales staff, accounting, engineers, equipment, travel, etc. Chuck's personnel cost isn't the problem. Never was.

I'm sure it's a complete money sink.

It would be nice to have him join the tv guys in some limited way. Or just fire Tripp.....

I don't think Chuck K. would be good on TV in any capacity. Its weird, but John F. works great as Chuck's partner on radio, but I think it would be a train wreck the other way around. The team already has Maniscalco doing events (like the "shoot for your seats") so they Don't need Chuck for that.

Unfortunately if he is not doing radio play by play I don't quite see what Chuck would do in this organization at this point. You would almost have to make up a job for him to keep him here.

Chuck obviously loves what he does, and understandably wants to see it out as far as he can, but at the same time I imagine he felt the sands shifting under his feet a LONG time ago. I hope he's networked in deeply enough with TSN/Rogers/NBC where he's got a safety net in place already, and just has to pull the trigger on it.

I don't think Chuck K. would be good on TV in any capacity. Its weird, but John F. works great as Chuck's partner on radio, but I think it would be a train wreck the other way around. The team already has Maniscalco doing events (like the "shoot for your seats") so they Don't need Chuck for that.

Unfortunately if he is not doing radio play by play I don't quite see what Chuck would do in this organization at this point. You would almost have to make up a job for him to keep him here.

Franchise historian.

NC State kept Frank Weedon around the athletic department doing next to nothing for close to 30 years in that kind of capacity. Basic job description ... work on the annual media guide and serve as a go-to quote for reporters doing research on the "old days."

I hear the current SID at NCSU is mainly there due to her father being a major donor. Guess that's sort of like a professor having tenure. Makes sense that you cannot fire a relative of big money guy in the college ranks. I think she took over after Weedon left or not long after he left.

Here is funny trivia - NCAA now limits how big a media guide can be. Some were getting to be close to 500 pages. They are smaller now due to the limit.

Franchise historian.

NC State kept Frank Weedon around the athletic department doing next to nothing for close to 30 years in that kind of capacity. Basic job description ... work on the annual media guide and serve as a go-to quote for reporters doing research on the "old days."

He could also do Kaiton's Korner during intermissions, much more interesting than Tripp's inane interviews.. And let him sign a side deal with NHL network to do "radio calls" of great highlights around the NHL each week. Play them on SiriusXM

noticed there are 2 other PNC events during the state fair. One is a religious event , the other a concert with Nicki Minaj and Future. They are both before the Canes game. The concert should be crowded, they are both big names.

That David Jeremiah event will likely sell out or come close. Ditto Nicky Minaj. Both are a BAD idea to be scheduled during the Fair, but hey ... new guy has to learn the same as the old guy, right?

Back