• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Tavares isn't going anywhere. He will listen to offers this summer, then I think he will stay put. He won't come here. Who in their right mind would want to come here? I think this organization is going to struggle to keep or get anyone of substance.

"Ottawa on a Tuesday" has long been our standard reference for a low-attendance game.

Ottawa on a Tuesday used to be a good draw, when Nortel had 10,000 employees in RTP, many of whom relocated from the Ottawa region.

"Ottawa on a Tuesday" has long been our standard reference for a low-attendance game.

I believe it was "Ottawa on a Tuesday in November," though.

On Tavares, no he is not coming to Raleigh unless we make an offer that tops anyone else's by a wide margin, and considering that there are limits on offers, that seems extremely unlikely. As a long time Islander fan, it pains me to say that I also don't think he'll stay on the Island unless it is for non-hockey reasons. He's a good soldier, but he also seems like the type of guy who wants to win and he's had very little opportunity to win in the playoffs and that's going to continue until the Islanders solve their goalie problem, which has been going on about as long as ours has.

Tavares isn't going anywhere. He will listen to offers this summer, then I think he will stay put. He won't come here. Who in their right mind would want to come here? I think this organization is going to struggle to keep or get anyone of substance.

The 'keep' part of that statement has rarely been an issue. Yes we've had guys like Whitney leave and Roberts leave and Primeau hold out, and failed to retain guys like Seidenberg, but for the most part we don't lose guys to free agency and our RFAs all get re-signed. I don't necessarily buy that Hanifin wants out or there should be much to fear about Skinner looking to walk as a UFA. I think the ownership change is going to energize all of the players and make it more likely that they would want to re-sign here.

I do agree with you that until the culture clearly changes into a winning one, other big name free agents are not going to have us very high on the list. Here is the thing though...I think its much more likely that the Canes will be willing to offer big money to such players if the right match is there. Before Dundon I don't think we were really in that game, although we did go after and re-signed Semin (which of course shows the dangers of big money UFAs).

I don't think many of the current players would resign knowing Peters will be their long term coach. Especially Skinner. He will bolt first chance he gets if Peters is still trying to run the bench.

some of the ex Nortel people are still here , they did not all have to leave town when Nortel went bust. I guess it depends if they were able to find another tech job that matched their skills locally. Of course some of them had no real ties here so they did not mind moving on to another job somewhere else.

some of the ex Nortel people are still here , they did not all have to leave town when Nortel went bust. I guess it depends if they were able to find another tech job that matched their skills locally. Of course some of them had no real ties here so they did not mind moving on to another job somewhere else.

I know a bunch of ex-Nortel folks. Not as numerous as former IBMers, but still plenty.

tsn.ca (Frank Seravalli) added Derek Ryan to 'TSN Trade Bait' board yesterday.

https://www.tsn.ca/derek-ryan-soshnikov-join-tsn-s-trade-bait-board-1.985133

That article talks about the Pens and JR possibly having an interest in Derek Ryan as a #3 center. I highly doubt the Canes would deal Ryan in the middle of the playoff race to one of the teams they are trying to catch so I call complete BS on this at the moment, but if the Canes collapse before the deadline I could see some possibly here. Even better would be the Canes surge into a relatively solid playoff position, deal Ryan to the Pens, and make another bigger trade for someone much better than Ryan who can also help us in future seasons.

Last edited:
This is weird. If you moved all of the Metro teams into the Atlantic, all eight Metro teams would slot in between the 3rd and 4th place Atlantic teams.

tsn.ca (Frank Seravalli) added Derek Ryan to 'TSN Trade Bait' board yesterday.

https://www.tsn.ca/derek-ryan-soshnikov-join-tsn-s-trade-bait-board-1.985133

That article talks about the Pens and JR possibly having an interest in Derek Ryan as a #3 center. I highly doubt the Canes would deal Ryan in the middle of the playoff race to one of the teams they are trying to catch so I call complete BS on this at the moment, but if the Canes collapse before the deadline I could see some possibly here. Even better would be the Canes surge into a relatively solid playoff position, deal Ryan to the Pens, and make another bigger trade for someone much better than Ryan who can also help us in future seasons.

I don't see the Canes moving Ryan and expect he'll be re-signed. He's a valuable player to have on the roster, and anything we'd get in return for him at the deadline would be marginally valuable - late second rounder or third rounder?

If we fill the hole at 1C or even with a 2C that has some size, Ryan's a nice guy to have in the lineup.

Good to see a few more centers hit that list. Boone Jenner is interesting to me (not as a #1 though)

Jenner seems to have hit the wall with Torts. Given history, that's by no means indicative that the player is necessarily the problem. I love his game, but I think the BJs would have all sorts of options should they be serious about moving him.

Back