• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

When you leave something like this to popular vote, you get a bunch of undifferentiated mainstream noise. You want something innovative and different for people to get behind, you don't ask people what they want--you basically tell them what they need (that they haven't been thinking about).

"None of the above" would be my first choice.

Ended up voting for "Raise Up" by Petey Pablo mostly for the "Carolina" element. But figure this will be a one-season phenomena, at best.

Please, no "Brass Bonanza" as a goal song no matter how few we score.

No problem playing it after a home victory, however...which limits it to about 20 times a season (19 last season).

If it annoys opposing fans, all the better.

Elsker raises an excellent point. Why not use Brass Bonanza, but only when the Canes host teams that have fans that would be annoyed by it? Boston, New York ... we all want to annoy those fanbases anyway.

I don't like any of those choices for a goal song but Brass Bonanza comes closest for making any sense whatever. It should be exuberant instrumental, not vocal. Mainly it's just more arena noise that hardly anybody pays attention to at a time like that.

As for BB, how many of those opposing fans have any idea what BB is or sounds like. Oh maybe prior to 20 years ago, a fair amount of them did somewhat, but now?

Hmmm. I was hoping for the Romantics (What I like about you), but given the choices, I'm OK with BB. Problem is that you can't sing along with it (or even "hey, hey, hey"). Would have been cool to find a hard-driving song relevant to the area, but "Carolina in my mind" just doesn't cut it.

Despite my Whalers roots, my wife and 2 daughters absolutely hated Brass Bonanza as a choice. To quote my 14 year old.... "that is way too 70's sounding". Her choice was to leave the goal song unchanged. My wife and 16 year old daughter both voted for Jump Around. I still haven't finalized my vote.

Going to be interesting. I wouldn't mind Brass Bonanza as our new goal song, but that is probably the most polarizing choice out of all 8. The anti-anything Whalers crowd will be really unhappy if BB wins. Whereas if something like Jump Around wins, it will annoy some people who give a crap about those types of things, but you won't run into many militant haters.'

Much more important than the goal song of course is actually scoring goals. I won't really care about the goal song when all is said and done.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I was hoping for the Romantics (What I like about you), but given the choices, I'm OK with BB. Problem is that you can't sing along with it (or even "hey, hey, hey"). Would have been cool to find a hard-driving song relevant to the area, but "Carolina in my mind" just doesn't cut it.

Good grief ... if all these clods wanted was a rocking song with North Carolina-centric subject matter, it wouldn't even take five minutes to bung up a healthy list. But nope ... let's throw it out to the dopes in the general public and see what they say ... and you end up with the equivalent of the stupid Wagon Wheel song. God help us, but the public needs to be guided a little bit in these things, guys.

If that's the way we wanted to go, then just bypass this nonsense and plug in American Aquarium's Old North State ... or any of a dozen songs from their catalog.

espn.com has their initial fantasy hockey ratings available here (Standard fantasy hockey):

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/hockey/...mplete-top-300-player-rankings-2018-19-season

Canes?

Aho at 56th overall (LW9)
Svechnikov at 74th overall (RW12)
Hamilton at 102 (D18)
Teravainen at 112 (C38)
Williams at 180 (RW34)
Staal at 213 (C68)
Faulk at 224 (D51)
Ferland at 242 (LW44)
Rask at 259 (C77)
Slavin at 268 (D67)

(no Lindholm or Hanifin in the top 300, of course Hanifin still hasn't signed yet but that is not the reason he wasn't in this top 300 list as Nylander is there).

The RWs ahead of Svechnikov?

Kucherov, Wheeler, Pastrnak, Forsberg, Patrick Kane, Kessel, Terasenko, Radulov, Mikko Rantanen, Reilly Smith, Laine

Svechnikov is going to be coming in with a level of hype we haven't seen around these parts since...well...forever really. Even Eric Staal didn't have such lofty expectations his rookie year (or his 2nd season). Skinner wasn't even close to the level of expectations that are going to be to heaped on Svechnikov.

All of us of course hope the kid is all that and then some....

Last edited:
Not sure if that speaks more to PdG's contributions or my attention span, but I had to just go look it up to see what number he had last year.

Just noticed... maybe time for "2018-19 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread" ?? Or remove the year and let'er roll... whatev.

With the release of the Prospect Tournament roster, I created a 2018-19 Pre-Season thread. We can still use this thread to talk about the God-awful goal songs.

With the release of the Prospect Tournament roster, I created a 2018-19 Pre-Season thread. We can still use this thread to talk about the God-awful goal songs.

Yeah ... something we're pretty much united against. That goal song list.

Finally.

The more I think about it, Brass Bonanza is too old hat, history, Hartford...and blah. I'd pretty much think they would clean up Petey's stuff but still...? Of the god-awful choices 'Uprising' seems to fit my thoughts on more up-beat instrumental.

Why not get somebody to write something more appropriate and unique. It wouldn't need to be long nor elaborate, just a few bars of exuberant with some appropriate lyrics.

You mean like..

C'Mon C'Mon C'MON
Let's Go!
C'Mon C'Mon C'MON
Let's Go!
C'Mon C'Mon C'MON
Let's Go Canes!

Or Pissburgh's going to the Supper Bowl (I know)
Or Let's Go Jets or about four other teams I've heard use this same generic song

It's got a great beat and it's fun to dance to.

OMG, now that's ancient history and BLAH as hell! NO, I mean something by somebody who knows what they're doing!

FWIW, random Canes have started to trickle back into town. I saw a couple of the guys walking in to a local gym when I went to pickup my dry cleaning this weekend*. So ... buckle up folks, it's all starting to happen. For some reason, I'm more excited for this season to get started than I have been in awhile, even though I'm not actually expecting the team to be much better. Dunno ... I've got weird conflicting vibes about this coming season.

*What? You thought I was going to the gym? Good lord, no. Some of you are aware that I had a heart attack this summer, but the closest I get to an actual gym is the cardiac rehab facility at Rex.

Back