• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

I'm very much a trailing edge kinda guy than a leading edge technology guy. It is easier for me to chip an arrowhead out of stone than it is for me to know if I backed up my computer right. Radio has always worked for me and I am one of those 100 listeners. I hate to admit this, but I have no idea how to stream a hockey game on computer. I listen to Chuck on every road game, plus many home games too. It sucks that there's a delay between TV & radio, because I'd prefer to watch the game with Chuck's call. I really respect the job Chuck does because he's been there and seen it all for the entirety of this franchise. I appreciate the time he takes to answer listener's questions in Kaiton's Corner between the second and third periods as well.

My friend Mark is 100% visually impaired, and he loves Chuck's call. He gets annoyed when he is forced to listen to John and Tripp exclusively. Particularly when they do video replays. The TV call just doesn't work for radio, and it shouldn't be expected to.

As a kid, I used to try to pick up hockey games on the skip late at night with my transistor radio, especially on cloudy nights. I stashed my radio in the pillowcase under the pillow and listened through an earphone. I still do it most nights every bit of 50 years later, except my digital walkman isn't as sensitive as my old analog transistor was. Though there's less signal drift on the walkman.

Jim

The real solution is to have Forslund go full time to NBC, unload Tripp and let Kaitin handle both TV and radio. ��

As much as we all value Forslund, that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. Doc Emerick appears not to be going anywhere and as of right now NBC has Kenny Albert in the number 2 play by play slot. I think Forslund is miles better than both of them, as do most Canes fans fans, but ...

I dunno, Mike Emerick is EXCELLENT on play-by-play, (I'm leaving out a 'but'...). John Forslund is far and away better at PbP and description than Kenny Albert, whose voice is annoying, will ever be!

I dunno, Mike Emerick is EXCELLENT on play-by-play, (I'm leaving out a 'but'...). John Forslund is far and away better at PbP and description than Kenny Albert, whose voice is annoying, will ever be!

Richard Deitsch moved his media column from Sports Illustraed to The Athletic. This weeks subject is Doc Emrick and one of the topics is how much longer he wants to work. I don’t have a subscription, but maybe someone can provide highlights?

And I agree, I think The Mighty Forslund is worlds better than Kenny Albert but is pretty clearly #3 in the pecking order. That Albert worked the WCF and not Forslund is a pretty clear indication of that.

I have no problem with Kenny Albert, and will certainly deal with him in the #2 slot at NBC if it means we get Johnny Sideburns for 75+ Canes games a year.

Richard Deitsch moved his media column from Sports Illustraed to The Athletic. This weeks subject is Doc Emrick and one of the topics is how much longer he wants to work. I don’t have a subscription, but maybe someone can provide highlights?

And I agree, I think The Mighty Forslund is worlds better than Kenny Albert but is pretty clearly #3 in the pecking order. That Albert worked the WCF and not Forslund is a pretty clear indication of that.

No subscription here either, but there have been rumors in media columns about Emrick retiring ever since he first took over the lead NHL play by play role from Verne Lundqvist and Gary Thorne when the league moved away from ESPN/ABC. Most the speculation seemed to hinge on his wife's role as a prominent show dog breeder and trainer. I mean, the guy juts keeps sticking around, but he is over 70 years old, so ...

Worth noting that Emrick remained as the TV voice of the Devils for 5 or 6 years after taking on the lead play by play role at NBC. If NBC decided that Forslund would be a better option for the flagship broadcasts than Albert, then it wouldn't be automatic that he'd give up the Canes' mic. Also, since Albert is the radio voice of the Rangers, he's probably a bit cheaper and easier to schedule than Forslund. I honestly cannot fathom a world where anybody honestly thinks Kenny Albert is better at TV play by play than Forslund.

No subscription here either, but there have been rumors in media columns about Emrick retiring ever since he first took over the lead NHL play by play role from Verne Lundqvist and Gary Thorne when the league moved away from ESPN/ABC. Most the speculation seemed to hinge on his wife's role as a prominent show dog breeder and trainer. I mean, the guy juts keeps sticking around, but he is over 70 years old, so ...

Worth noting that Emrick remained as the TV voice of the Devils for 5 or 6 years after taking on the lead play by play role at NBC. If NBC decided that Forslund would be a better option for the flagship broadcasts than Albert, then it wouldn't be automatic that he'd give up the Canes' mic. Also, since Albert is the radio voice of the Rangers, he's probably a bit cheaper and easier to schedule than Forslund. I honestly cannot fathom a world where anybody honestly thinks Kenny Albert is better at TV play by play than Forslund.

I cannot honestly envision a world where a guy like Jason Shaya takes over for John The Legend Forslund here in Carolina...that would be tough to stomach for this Canes fan.

Jason grew on me a bit with a few repeat exposures this season, but no ... I wouldn't be happy with him as a replacement for Forslund either.

Jason grew on me a bit with a few repeat exposures this season, but no ... I wouldn't be happy with him as a replacement for Forslund either.

I only heard him once and he was OK. But honestly, when/if Forslund leaves, are we going to get anyone of that caliber to replace him? He didn't become The Mighty Forslund overnight, he's been at this for 23 years. The Stars replaced Dave Strader with Razor Reaugh, who had been doing color but moved over to do play by play. Can you imagine moving Tripp over to play by play?

Here are the key questions and answers about Emrick's plans from The Athletic piece...

Deitsch: How do you currently approach your future in the booth. Year by year? Multiple years?

Emrick: (NBC Sports executive producer) Sam Flood told me three years ago it is year to year and up to me to decide, and decision time has not come around yet and it won’t until mid-summer. So I am more than happy with that and they have extended to me a wonderful option so the time to decide that has not come yet.

Deitsch: Is it your intention to continue on? I don’t want to misread anything above.

Emrick: I don’t want to be pinned back on that. I really love what I am doing, yet that time to decide does not come until the smoke clears and the season is over and I get some rest. I hope I sound good to you?

Deitsch: Yeah, you sound as good as Sinatra in Vegas.

Emrick: (laughs). I realize when you get to be in your 70s people always wonder how long you are going to hang around. But I dearly love the job and they have given me the right to do it as long as I want to. I just want to give proper time to make that decision each year and that’s the reason I have followed this process each of the last three years since they extended me that right.

I reiterate how much I'm enjoying my subscription. If you mourn the loss of good sports journalism, you definitely need to give The Athletic a try.

For me Mike Emrick = Finger Nails on Chalk Board.

Ever heard Craig Laughlin?

I had the pleasure of getting my hockey fix, for years, by watching the Caps on HTS. And painfully remember the days of Blinky Alberts and Craig Laughlin. Poor Caps fans.

I had the pleasure of getting my hockey fix, for years, by watching the Caps on HTS. And painfully remember the days of Blinky Alberts and Craig Laughlin. Poor Caps fans.

Laughlin handed the torch of worst NHL announcer years ago to Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley. Those two in Beantown are the biggest homers and overall worst pair in all of sports, bar none.

Joe Beninati and Loughlin are BY FAR the worst television broadcast pairing working in the NHL and it's not even close. Laughlin is a laughably clueless former thug with next to no memory of what teams the Caps are playing night to night, much less who plays for them or coaches them. He's a gold plated idiot. Like a newspaper cartoon character come to life. Beninati is the perfect foil for somebody that stupid, because he's SLIGHTLY more intelligent but only by a hair. Plus his voice is the perfect beige compliment to Laughlin's dark red slurring. Every time a Caps fans waxes poetic about what a wonderful owner Ted Leonsis has been, I counter with ... "well he still subjects your face to those two clowns in the TV booth 82 times a year. And most them just nod.

And yeah ... Blinky was even worse than Beninati, but it's close.

And also yeah ... Jack Edwards and Brickey are loathsome, shameless Chowd homers. But they both at least know how the microphones work and who the other (obviously inferior) team is on any given night. That alone elevates them above the Caps booth. Besides, I'm fairly certain you would be able to tell if either of those two showed up to call a game drunk. The same cannot be said for Laughlin.

Laughlin handed the torch of worst NHL announcer years ago to Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley. Those two in Beantown are the biggest homers and overall worst pair in all of sports, bar none.

Laughlin has a grating voice, as does Joe Beninati, who he works with now. Edwards is a joke, but Brickley has been fine when he worked a few national games with Forslund. Just like Tripp couldn't rely on shtick when he worked the playoffs with Forslund, Brickley had to change his tune for a different audience.

Laughlin has a grating voice, as does Joe Beninati, who he works with now. Edwards is a joke, but Brickley has been fine when he worked a few national games with Forslund. Just like Tripp couldn't rely on shtick when he worked the playoffs with Forslund, Brickley had to change his tune for a different audience.
And Jack Edwards was fine in the ESPN booth ... so long as he wasn't calling Bruins games ... or hitting on interns ... allegedly.

I'm positive Laughlin just shows up ten minutes before the game and then wings it.

I'm more prepared, than he's ever been, to call a game. I usually know what two teams are playing.

I did once show up to the PNC thinking we were playing the Maple Leafs and the Damn Vancouver Canucks showed up.

You can't have a discussion about the worst announcers in hockey without mentioning Denis Potvin. I'm pretty sure there's a law against doing so.

Back