• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

For years, the Karmanos/JR business model was the reluctance to go outside of who they knew. The number of internal hires that were Canes players, the recycling of players, the desire to draft players that came up through Plymouth, the nepotism and the need to stay safe. So, if Dudndon wants to chase out employees he deems to have clashes with (RF) and bring in employees he selects (Krepelka), I am getting what I wanted for years. The writing is on the wall that they are trying to push Peters out and don't want Waddell in the GM position. While there's speculation Vellucci may be in the running for head coach, I believe if he's hired it's not because he was one of Pete's guys, it's because Dundon wants him. All in all, this is the long overdue organization overhaul.

Canes were run like a family business - hired a lot of relatives and friends. and when you win it all , you are not likely to change what you do.

"Bob McKenzie of TSN reported this afternoon on TSN 1050 Radio in Toronto that the Calgary Flames are close to finalizing details to hire Peters."

link

I have poked around in some CEO compensation data and see why the NHL owners are reportedly interested in how Dundon makes out with his GM search budget.

Frankly $400K is not bad salary for a CEO (which is what a GM essentially is) of a $600M valuation private firm. It's at least above mediqn.

But...when that compensation is 25% of the coach who works for you AND you were forced to accept that coach as a pre-condition (remember the narrative was that Dundon loooooved Peters) it’s not a desirable job.

"Bob McKenzie of TSN reported this afternoon on TSN 1050 Radio in Toronto that the Calgary Flames are close to finalizing details to hire Peters."

link

This is awesome!!! Can we get a group together over the weekend to help Wild Bill pack? Kahuna I know your in...

Sounds like a plan!

Of course, can't wait to hear all the negative spins the media will put on Bill jumping from the Titanic knows as Carolina.

Dundon/Waddell leaking the out-clause option Peters held will soften that take to some degree.

Going home to a fresh contract term will be more the narrative now than if the news was sudden that he had jumped.

But we are sure to get some pity talk regardless...and deserve it.

I found this bit from Canes Country regarding Peters interesting...

"If Peters does leave, McKenzie speculated earlier today, assistant coach Rod Brind’Amour may be a leading candidate to take over the Canes’ head-coaching position. Another possibility, Charlotte Checkers coach and Hurricanes assistant GM Mike Vellucci, will be coaching his team in the Calder Cup playoffs starting Friday and would not be immediately available."

Is Rod head coach material? What kind of relationship does he have with TD? Should we not hire a GM first? Can Rod improve the food and sell Whaler T-shirts? I'm on the edge of my seat.

I don't think hiring Vellucci is a problem while he's in the playoffs. They could give him the option of leaving right away or staying until the Checkers are done.

I found this bit from Canes Country regarding Peters interesting...

"If Peters does leave, McKenzie speculated earlier today, assistant coach Rod Brind’Amour may be a leading candidate to take over the Canes’ head-coaching position. Another possibility, Charlotte Checkers coach and Hurricanes assistant GM Mike Vellucci, will be coaching his team in the Calder Cup playoffs starting Friday and would not be immediately available."

Is Rod head coach material? What kind of relationship does he have with TD? Should we not hire a GM first? Can Rod improve the food and sell Whaler T-shirts? I'm on the edge of my seat.

I love Brind'Amour but I wouldn't hire him as coach, not now. Dundon should hire a GM first and let that person hire the coach. You don't want to force a shotgun wedding between coach and GM, it can become very toxic very quickly.

100% agree Elsker....I don't think that Brindy as head coach speculation has any merit. That was just a thought with no basis in fact (and would be a terrible move in my opinion...we need a new voice behind the bench not one of the same voices).

My crystal ball says this ... Peters to Calgary, Vellucci to Canes GM, Brind'Amour to Canes head coach, we keep the rest of the staff and add a forwards-oriented assistant. Bob MacKenzie doesn't engage in a lot of idle speculation, for the record. If there's one guy who reports hockey that I'd trust to have some backup for his little throwaway lines, it's him.

Frankly, Brindy is the big question mark. I love the guy, but I dunno about his ability to be a head coach and of course, there's yet another learning curve to deal with. Vellucci, while not an experienced NHL GM, has plenty enough experience at other levels to not be over his head. I expect most of the business stuff to be handled by others and we've already added the contract/salary cap wizard. One thing about Brindy ... I simply can't see him carrying on with the nonsense system we've been playing. He was the ultimate pragmatist as a player and I seriously doubt he's going to be anything different if he ever gets to be the bench boss.

I think that could actually work. It's not how I'd do it, but it ain't my money.

Oh and if this all plays out ... big IF ... then I'd love to see the Canes add an assistant with head coaching experience. NOT bloody Jacques Martin of course, but somebody with a similar background.

Last edited:
Lindy Ruff is totally OFFENSIVE all th' time. He's a jerk that really showed some years ago when the Sabres arrived the day before playing the Canes. The Canes were playing away and Ruff showed up at old Blinco's and started mouthing off about how crappy the Canes were and how his bunch was going to beat them. I don't think he was drunk - just obnoxious. We were all bantering around in a more friendly, joking manner but not Lindy. Darren Pang finally got so annoyed he came over and sat with us at a large table.

BTW: Canes won the away game and whupped up on the Sabres the next night, too.

Jeffbear slotted in-house candidate Vellucci in the GM slot, where he would perform just fine.

But he would be an even more interesting head coach choice, in my opinion, and that is where his interests lie per McKenzie.

Already running Peters' system in Charlotte so can now tweak his way but from a common vocabulary. Knows the youngsters well. Shouldn't be afraid to use them.

Potentially a smooth transition to hopefully avoid yet another lost season retooling.

Back