• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Elliot Friedman is reporting:

“I had heard that Detroit had been in on Faulk, and I don’t think that’s gone away.”

“I heard Chicago was in on Faulk, but the hang up there was Brandon Saad, Carolina wanted Saad and Chicago didn’t want to do that”

Keep insisting on Saad if that is who we want. We have the Dman they need and technically don't have to trade him.

You can kind of map out what we are attempting to do. Trading Faulk for Saad would make it easier to trade Skinner. The thing is though, I'm a bit worried that Saad would end up an expensive 15-20 goal guy for us. He was not good last year but some of that was his shot% being abnormally low for him.

Keep insisting on Saad if that is who we want. We have the Dman they need and technically don't have to trade him.

You can kind of map out what we are attempting to do. Trading Faulk for Saad would make it easier to trade Skinner. The thing is though, I'm a bit worried that Saad would end up an expensive 15-20 goal guy for us. He was not good last year but some of that was his shot% being abnormally low for him.

I like Saad and I actually think he's a better player in a lower pressure environment. The thing with Saad is that you HAVE to let him hunt. If you're not going to play an aggressive forecheck then don't bother getting him. He's only going to disappoint if you're going to sit back and trap/counter. The book on the kind of style Brindy is going to play is still open, but I like that the forwards we've been linked to are the more aggressive types. Enough with the Cat and Mouse territorial game, already.

There's nothing to support it in terms of game play yet, but I suspect that Brindy wants to lean more towards the Torts/Lavi puck pursuit type of game. That's what we were doing when Daniels (the only staffing change of note) was last on staff and that seems to fit the guys we've acquired or been linked with this summer. I'm 100% down with that.

Considering the Hawks traded Panarin to get Saad back, its understandable that they don't want to trade him away again.

The Canes shouldn't cave here...we have the goods, lot of teams want Justin Faulk. Whoever we trade him to better be sending back plenty in return. If the Hawks won't give in too bad for them.

Considering the Hawks traded Panarin to get Saad back, its understandable that they don't want to trade him away again.

The Canes shouldn't cave here...we have the goods, lot of teams want Justin Faulk. Whoever we trade him to better be sending back plenty in return. If the Hawks won't give in too bad for them.

Completely agree. Our recent roster moves render Faulk a "could trade" instead of a "need to trade." Take advantage of having the upper hand for once and stick to the guns on the return. All day ... all the way through the season if you want. Worse comes to worse you play the guy 16-18 minutes and hope he finds his game again.

Not sure if this was posted somewhere earlier but one can wonder what the deal was and why it didn't get done.

"Darren Haynes

@DarrenWHaynes

One thing I learned at the Dome today is the Flames’ interest in Derek Ryan goes way back. Pro scout Steve Pleau who works Carolina games identified him early as an excellent fit and Calgary had a deal for him in place at last year’s trade deadline that fell through last minute.
00:15 - 2 juli 2018"

Very pleasant surprise as we were driving somewhere this morning as I happened to have left Sirius/XM on the NHL Network Radio channel listening to the Power Play interviews with Brad Treliving (Calgary's GM) and some other GM's as we were heading homeward last night.

To our surprise, Game 7 of the 2006 Cup Final was being replayed (almost changed the channel until we heard "...Cam Ward..."). We got to hear the final few minutes of the game, including Cam's stop on Pisani's shot and the empty-netter, along with some post-game interviews before we arrived at our destination. The exact snippet one wants to hear from that game.

Lots of nostalgic names in that call. And, man, was the crowd ever loud and excited.

Happened to be standing on the back row of Section 324 for that game, right beneath the broadcast booths, where we called home for 14 seasons. So we were able to say: "Listen to us!"

Good times, good times. Single greatest sporting event I have or probably ever will witness in person.

I cannot believe you people are still ragging and hating on Derek Ryan. What a crock of crap, waste of bandwidth! Reading that garbage it seems some think he caused the team to blow the whole season and miss the playoffs for the last nine years.

Derek Ryan was never the problem. He pretty much gave his all every game and most every shift. And was NOT bad at what he was asked to do -even if sometimes it was above what he good at. He earned his pay! The problems y'all seem to need to be reminded of were those like Rask and Darling, et. al. who DID NOT earn their higher salary and did not play up to their talent or potential! If anybody is insulted, wallow in it!

I got no problem with the good Doctor Ryan. It was how he was used that was so frustrating. And even being misused, he gave it what he had and never complained. Best of luck to him. He took a long road to the NHL and I’m happy for him for making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got no problem with the good Doctor Ryan. It was how he was used that was so frustrating. And even being misused, he gave it what he had and never complained. Best of luck to him. He took a long road to the NHL and I’m happy for him for making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problems with Ryan but can’t help but take a look at this departed list from last year and believe this team is trending in a new and better direction!!!

Stempniak, Nordstrom, Dahlbeck, Ryan, Lindholm, Hanafin, Ward, Peters.

Change was inevitable and some of these guys were grossly overslotted or just at the end of their shelf lives here.

I cannot believe you people are still ragging and hating on Derek Ryan. What a crock of crap, waste of bandwidth!

Yikes, all I did was ask what logic was used to decide not to trade Derek Ryan at the trade deadline if Calgary is out here now stating they had pretty much a deal in place to make such a trade?

That isn't ragging on Derek Ryan....this is ragging on Derek Ryan:

https://www.nhl.com/video/mcavoys-overtime-winner/t-293980478/c-58275303

By the way, that was the next game after the trade deadline. You have to let it run through to see Riley Nash take the puck away from Derek Ryan easily along the wall and then shrug him off like he isn't even there.

Now that is ragging on Derek Ryan!!! At least let me get my money's worth!!! :cheers2:

Last edited:
LOL, CMal, right. Not a lot here today, I kinda over-reacted 'cause there has been so much... :rolleyes(2):

And I'm with CC! Trending upward.

For once, I don't feel like we are working from a position on weakness. After years of Karmanos' ownership and the manglement of Ruthford and Francis, it's refreshing not to be afraid and recognize there are valuable assets on this team and management that's willing to stand toe-to-toe with other organizations. We are more pro-active than reactive.

Yikes, all I did was ask what logic was used to decide not to trade Derek Ryan at the trade deadline if Calgary is out here now stating they had pretty much a deal in place to make such a trade?

That isn't ragging on Derek Ryan....this is ragging on Derek Ryan:

https://www.nhl.com/video/mcavoys-overtime-winner/t-293980478/c-58275303

By the way, that was the next game after the trade deadline. You have to let it run through to see Riley Nash take the puck away from Derek Ryan easily along the wall and then shrug him off like he isn't even there.

Now that is ragging on Derek Ryan!!! At least let me get my money's worth!!! :cheers2:

Just watched that. Darling's still our goalie. I'm depressed again.

Back