• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

No reason to pay Wallmark an NHL salary for the next 2 days when nothing is happening. Also no reason to call anyone skilled up again if they are going to skate with Nordstrom and PDG for 6 minutes.

No reason to pay Wallmark an NHL salary for the next 2 days when nothing is happening. Also no reason to call anyone skilled up again if they are going to skate with Nordstrom and PDG for 6 minutes.

It wasn’t 6 minutes, it was 4:28.

Callum Booth and Spencer Smallman were sent back to Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And no reason to call up ANYBODY if you're going to be satisfied to keep rolling Rask out there to center a line while he's playing like he did over the last two games. Holy crap, we've got issues.

And no reason to call up ANYBODY if you're going to be satisfied to keep rolling Rask out there to center a line while he's playing like he did over the last two games. Holy crap, we've got issues.

And Ryan. He hasn't had a point since 1/25 and has 4 points this calendar year. But Peters rolled him out for 20 minutes last night, the most he's played all year. Had he not played OT, he still would have been at 18:15, the 6th highest of the season.

Aho's group didn't show up in OT until half way through. Even Tripp pointed that out. I'm fully convinced that Bill Peters is a complete idiot.

Aho's group didn't show up in OT until half way through. Even Tripp pointed that out. I'm fully convinced that Bill Peters is a complete idiot.

Aho had not had a particularly good game and I've got no problem sending Staal out there early instead ... just not with 2 defensemen. We've struggled to come up with a consistent strategy for OT for going on two years now. Some of it has to do with the available parts, but not all of it. Peters seems content to react in those situations rather than trying to force the other team to react. And that's pretty much his tenure in a nutshell ... tentative.

Side note ... we also ended up with the 3rd and 4th lines matched up against Hall's line like 5 or 6 times yesterday. Other than in isolated circumstances that shouldn't be happening.

Rask between Aho /Turbo was ugly from the start of the game and never looked like a winning move. Put a play maker in there please!

Side note ... we also ended up with the 3rd and 4th lines matched up against Hall's line like 5 or 6 times yesterday. Other than in isolated circumstances that shouldn't be happening.

Tripp also noticed that the Devils were getting the favorable matchups. When Tripp starts to make sense questioning the coach, things have gone wrong.

And Ryan. He hasn't had a point since 1/25 and has 4 points this calendar year. But Peters rolled him out for 20 minutes last night, the most he's played all year. Had he not played OT, he still would have been at 18:15, the 6th highest of the season.

Again, Francis needs to send Ryan somewhere at the trade deadline and get him out of Bill Peter's hands. The man apparently just cannot help himself.

Led the team in negative +/- yesterday as he was on the ice for all three goals against. Also led the team in giveaways.

Meanwhile, Lindholm and Aho (and also Duchene, per Peters) are wingers, not centers. And the league continues to feast on the likes of Ryan and Rask.

Ron Francis: "...not going to call someone up and just play them six minutes."

*calls up 4th leading scorer and best center on Checkers roster*

*Bill Peters plays him for 4:38 minutes with wingers that have three goals total for the season*

Again, Francis needs to send Ryan somewhere at the trade deadline and get him out of Bill Peter's hands. The man apparently just cannot help himself.

I'm OK with Ryan as the 4th line center. He's a righty and leads the team in faceoff winning %. But, as you say, as long as Peters sees him on the bench, he's going to overslot him. It's just ridiculous that he played 1:45 of OT last night.

Keith Kinkaid got an assist last night, giving him 2 assists in the 2 games against the Canes. That's as many as Ryan has had this calendar year and the same number as Nordstrom has for the season. As Cory Lavellette tweeted, that's as many points as any Hurricane had in those 2 games.

https://twitter.com/corylav/status/965423032931102720

I'm OK with Ryan as the 4th line center. He's a righty and leads the team in faceoff winning %. But, as you say, as long as Peters sees him on the bench, he's going to overslot him. It's just ridiculous that he played 1:45 of OT last night.

Yeah ... it's almost like he's wearing the number 59 instead of 7. Even when he starts the game buried on the 4th line, he doesn't stay there. I'm sure the excuse for OT was that we needed to win draws, but ...

What a crazy division: Standings

Islanders lose 5-3 to Minnesota this afternoon and we're right back in the WC2 slot in the playoff mix due to our games played being one less than them despite tied for points at 64.

But that ROW tiebreaker will knock us right back out once the game count evens up.

Yeah ... Carolina needed to catch a break from NYI. Their goaltending, despite what we made Griess look like the other night, and crappy defense is what's going to keep the Canes in contact. Presuming of course that Carolina can find enough offense to resume eaking out some wins here eventually. Carolina only has two games left before the trade deadline looms. Not a lot of time to make up their minds, and a notoriously reluctant front office.

The 9000 kids in attendance at today's practice was a thing of beauty. The kids loved it, and the players appeared to have a blast. They should do this more often. Go check out the videos if you haven't seen them.

The 9000 kids in attendance at today's practice was a thing of beauty. The kids loved it, and the players appeared to have a blast. They should do this more often. Go check out the videos if you haven't seen them.

It's been years and years since they did that kids practice day thing with the public school system. That's good community outreach and it's the kind of thing that was sorely missing around here in the dark period known as the "PK's a pauper era"

Man was it LOUD there from those videos. Noah Hanifin last night during Canes Corner stated they were actually having issues hearing each other communicate on the ice during power play practice with all of the kids there it was so loud. Good practice for the Canes, tomorrow night it will be 10k Canes fans screaming 'SHOOT!' during the PP....

, tomorrow night it will be 10k Canes fans screaming 'SHOOT!' during the PP....

After not hearing that for several years while sitting in the mezzanine, I hear it all the time in the lower bowl. It's almost as maddening as the canes passing it back and forth from the blue line to eventually take a blind shot that gets blocked. 25 feet from the goal. Oh well, we usually have plenty of forwards back enough to cover a breakaway anyway.

It drives me nuts HockeyPat. "SHOOT THE PUCK SHOOT THE PUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!" Umm...did you not see the guy STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT WHO IS GOING TO BLOCK YOUR MINDLESS SHOT REQUEST?!?!?!???! Not shooting the puck is hardly the reason we don't score goals.... Meanwhile a lot of them will self righteously recite Gretzky's 'you miss 100% of the shots you don't take' quote. :banghead::incazzato:

Back