• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

I get they want NY, Pissburgh (I'm really digging that one), Boston, Chicago, etc on TV. Why do they always have to be playing each other? We play all those teams too. Do Pissburgh (I can do this all day) fans only watch when they play NY, Boston, Chicago, etc?

And as far as I can tell, Law and Order only comes on Sundance now. I think they play it nonstop from Friday evening til Sunday morning.

And while we are BSing. I don't care for the NBC coverage. I rather watch the NHL Network. Sure, we get the Homer broadcast, but it's still better than what NBC has in the studio. I even find Kathryn Tappen boring now.

they are trying to get better ratings by having 2 popular teams play each other. That's why we get all the Yankees - Red Sox games. Ratings would not be as high for Yankees - Tampa Bay. It's the same in all major league TV games.

They could put the Canes on more by showing them vs. popular teams but they just don't do that . If the Canes had a string of very good seasons that might help some to get more games on TV.

Canes likely moving to new practice rink in Morrisville next fall. It's off Aviation parkway not far from I-40. Other groups are moving there too for volleyball, soccer and gymnastics.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article216609440.html

The Ammons family has been working on that project for approximately forever. Glad to see it's finally coming together for them. Bit of a side note ... a very similar multi-sport regional complex was on the drafting table in a plan developed by Capitol Broadcasting kingpin Jim Goodmon way back in the late 80s. Different piece of land, same general concept and there was some talk of moving the Durham Bulls out there when Goodmon was negotiating the purchase of the team. Then he got the DBAP development approved and they just ended up moving a few blocks south. I can't remember what Goodmon called the thing ( I think it was the RDU Sportsplex of something equally generic), but it ended up just being leverage to get the DBAP done. He was serious enough to engage engineers and contractors to do master planning and budget work ... at which stage I was vaguely involved.

I don't care for the NBC coverage. I rather watch the NHL Network. Sure, we get the Homer broadcast, but it's still better than what NBC has in the studio. I even find Kathryn Tappen boring now.

Yeah ... they really could use some new blood in that studio. Not the on air talent so much as the production and direction. It's VERY stale.

on the Bulls what is funny is Durham voters voted down money for a new stadium. Then Goodmon bought the team and the Durham folks panicked he would move the team to Raleigh or RTP. So they ignored the voters and agreed to build the new stadium with tax money anyway. And then the stadium opened a year late due to construction delays.

on the Bulls what is funny is Durham voters voted down money for a new stadium. Then Goodmon bought the team and the Durham folks panicked he would move the team to Raleigh or RTP. So they ignored the voters and agreed to build the new stadium with tax money anyway. And then the stadium opened a year late due to construction delays.

Yup. It was that nascent sportsplex plan out near the airport that did it. He presented the City Council with a master plan and budget and told them to figure out a way to clear the DBAP project or he'd be gone. As he retired, long time Durham Mayor Bill Bell was largely remembered fondly for "saving Downtown" and it was that controversial move that really did the trick. That project (and the Brightleaf Square project) lead to everything else that happened later to improve downtown Durham over the following two decades, but the locals HATED the decision at the time.

yes and Goodmon also did American Tobacco buildings near the DBAP which are also a great success. Lots of small companies and startups there.

Also some of the Durham locals were against building DPAC too and that has also been a great idea. DPAC took all the Broadway touring shows from Raleigh. Now the shows that come to Raleigh are lower tier plays .

yes and Goodmon also did American Tobacco buildings near the DBAP which are also a great success. Lots of small companies and startups there.

Also some of the Durham locals were against building DPAC too and that has also been a great idea. DPAC took all the Broadway touring shows from Raleigh. Now the shows that come to Raleigh are lower tier plays .

As far as an overall entertainment area goes, Goodmon and the American Tobacco District folks sure built a crown jewel in and around the ballpark. It's just been a joy to see that area grow into a great destination for a ballgame, a play, dinner out, etc.

Raleigh voters actually approved money for a new baseball stadium . And the Bulls owner was going to be OK with that stadium even though he could have vetoed it due to being close to Durham. Then Raleigh screwed up and picked Bryant to own the team and Bulls did not like him. That's why he had to move to Zebulon for Mudcats, just far enough away from the Bulls to be OK. The rule is 35 miles and the Zebulon stadium is like 36 or 37 miles from DBAP.

Trinity Rd. is open but the tunnel won't open until Sept. 15th instead of the hoped for Sep. 1st. Delay won't impact Canes games.

It will impact 2 "preseason" NCSU FB games that nobody cares much about unless they manage to lose one or both of them in which case the "fire that bum coach" stuff starts up again.

Yeah ... with where the Canes are in terms of the makeup of the roster, if Aho demands a NMC then he's pretty much got to get one. Aho (and probably Svechnikov in the near future) HAS to be one of the key pieces you build around for the next 5 years or so and as a GM you have to do what it takes to keep real difference makers happy, well fed and well paid.

As we speculated on the other thread, with Dylan Larkin sigining for 5 years/$30.5 million, Aho's agent has to be looking at $7 million minimum. Larkin is 56g, 84a for 140 points in 242 games, .58 points per game. Aho is 53g, 61a for 114 points in 160 games, .71 points per game. Larkin's first 2 years were 45 and 32 points; he finally broke out with 63 points (but only 16 goals) in his 3rd year, a total that Aho already exceeded.

He worked at Keene's scouting service and for a bunch of junior teams, most recently for the Soo Greyhounds. Apparently he worked for Waddell in Atlanta in his only previous NHL scouting job. I've said it a million times ... ADD ALL THE SCOUTS.

Can't have too many scouts. The Red Wings list 18 scouts on their website, Caps 16, Pens 17 (including Tommy Westlund. WTF, Tommy?). Adding Burstyn gives us 12.

He worked at Keene's scouting service and for a bunch of junior teams, most recently for the Soo Greyhounds. Apparently he worked for Waddell in Atlanta in his only previous NHL scouting job. I've said it a million times ... ADD ALL THE SCOUTS.

Interesting that Burstyn has worked scouting the OHL and chief scout for McKeen's for years, but we've hired him as a pro scout.

next Thurs. the 23rd the Bulls are having Canes night with $1 food. Also the Bulls will have Canes style red jerseys which will later be auctioned for charity.

Back