• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

they have assistant GMs still working right? Or do they just sweep the floor and return beer kegs?

And in case you did not notice, starting today people are going to lose their jobs as coaches and GMs. Some have already been fired over the weekend.

But hey if it makes you feel better , The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!!

they have assistant GMs still working right? Or do they just sweep the floor and return beer kegs?

And in case you did not notice, starting today people are going to lose their jobs as coaches and GMs. Some have already been fired over the weekend.

But hey if it makes you feel better , The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!!

Carolina's Assistant GMs:
Mike Vellucci ... sort of tied up in Charlotte at the moment
Ricky Olczyk ... brought in to head up scouting, no front office experience outside of personnel ... and not much of that, really.
Dave Olsen ... arena manager
Bryan Tatum ... operations manager (ie the guy who schedules travel and makes sure the office staff gets paid)

De Facto Acting GM
Don Waddell ... a guy who has well and truly proven himself to be a buffoon

Now ... who exactly is making crucial end of season decisions? The sky isn't falling. It already fell. There's nobody competent or even tasked with picking up the pieces and starting to put it back together again. Now we're seeing credible reports that the GM By Committee approach is likely to continue indefinitely.

Yeah. I'm not a fan.

Isn't Dundon speaking to the media today, and Peters isn't going to be there? I think he's a goner. Has to be.

Players from 12-1, Dundon presser at 1. Check the social media platforms but the presser will be carried on the Canes website. Peters will not be speaking to the media.

Why is a GM needed so fast ? The draft and UFA time periods are still more than 2 months away. what exactly would the GM be doing now? The scouts are still checking out players for the draft. (and yes the new GM could hire new scouts )

Rushing into a decision often leads to someone being hired who is not very good. Ask UNC fans about Matt Doherty for 1 example. Or Sidney Lowe.

Someone needs to have overall responsibility for the draft, coordinating pro scouting during the playoffs, end of season evaluations, etc. Is it needed now? No. But i'd like a new GM on board by the end of May. They have to address contracts for Elynuik and Carroll, who are the only 2016 unsigned draft picks, by June 1. And the draft and free agency aren't too far after that.

which "crucial" decisions need to be made in April? Is anyone becoming a UFA in April? or a RFA? Are they making any trades in April? Do they need new jockstraps?

which "crucial" decisions need to be made in April? Is anyone becoming a UFA in April? or a RFA? Are they making any trades in April? Do they need new jockstraps?

People keep answering your questions ... you don't want to hear it.

Which is fine ... carry on

If you're comfortable with Waddell making every hockey-related decision between now and whenever they find someone, then why bother searching at all? Is anything happening in April? If Peters leaves/is fired, who is going to evaluate candidates for a potential head coaching vacancy? You don't think front office stability is a factor in hiring a coach? The front office has been a gong show since Dundon fired Francis and that has at least some bearing on the number of people who have turned down the GM job.

you don't need a new coach before the GM is hired do you? If Peters is gone then the new GM will likely be hired first and will have input on which coach is hired.

I am still waiting to hear what crucial player related decisions are made in April or the 1st half of May.

No doubt Dundon bought a huge mess. But I don't think he can fix it all in the 3 months since he bought the team. He can fix a lot more by the time next season starts in October. Of course he can also make bad decisions by Oct. too.

Last edited:
you don't need a new coach before the GM is hired do you? If Peters is gone then the new GM will likely be hired first and will have input on which coach is hired.

I am still waiting to hear what crucial player related decisions are made in April or the 1st half of May.

I guess the part I dont get with your rant about April is how you somehow think in any way, shape or form that what the Canes have been doing of late since Francis was relieved of his duties has been normal, ok and not a problem? Like andyt mentioned in a previous post, the front office has been a gong show for the past several weeks...how is that ok Paulie?

It's 100% not good to not have a GM. But it seems things were actually getting better after Francis left. For example the recent AHL call ups were all after he was fired right?

Does anyone think the Canes lost a playoff spot because they did not hire a new GM right away? I sure don't. By April/May I mean post season decisions.

The critical thing that needs to happen in April is demonstrating that the org has a clue. Otherwise, we'll struggle to attract GMs, coaches, players, etc... Unknowns and indecision only heighten the perceptions that our new ownership is clueless.

Timely decisions is the curse of consensus driven models.

Last edited:
From the Dundon Press conference:

No decision on Peters. Still talking to him.

No budget for the GM hire, he will pay what is needed for the guy he wants.

Not a fan of free agents.

Dundon is not that far from Karmanos-- more things change, the more they look like they're staying the same. Except now, looks more like a cluster%&#$ than before without a GM and with Gilligan as the captain of the ship...

Dundon is not that far from Karmanos-- more things change, the more they look like they're staying the same. Except now, looks more like a cluster%&#$ than before without a GM and with Gilligan as the captain of the ship...

That Presser told me everything I needed to hear but already knew...that this team craves a true President and GM of Hockey Operations in the worst possible way. I chuckled when he almost blurted out "Waddell is our GM"...but then he stopped himself short. So basically status quo today, but 19 players and management could change in the next few weeks...life is good.

It sounds like the real challenge will be finding a solid hockey person willing to come here that can get along with Dundon enough to try and do his job.

he said "Peters has options, we have options." Far from a ringing endorsement. Sounds like they might wait and see what coaches are fired in the next week or so. He said Olczyk is handling contracts for now.

He was asked about Darling and only said he needs to get better. He added he wished he had 12 Ahos on the team.

Last edited:
From the Dundon Press conference:

No decision on Peters. Still talking to him.

No budget for the GM hire, he will pay what is needed for the guy he wants.

Not a fan of free agents.

Couple of other things are being reported ...

Dundon handled player exit interviews himself. Last year Peters was in the room, this time not so much. He also actually referred to Waddell as interim GM for the first time in public, although that has been assumed.

Dundon told the players that it was "our" job to find better players and their job to make that hard. He also told them they had to be "tougher"

He indicated that there could be anywhere from 19 to zero new players next season ... and then turned right around and said it would be more than zero.

+++++++++++++++++++

My conclusions ... who the heck knows? This guy is all over the place. He's micromanaging some stuff and taking a mile long arm's length from others. He's sending fifty flavors of mixed messages about Peters, and may in fact be tempting the guy to go find another job and take the team off the hook. He acts like having a GM in place just isn't a big deal, but by all reports he's made a mess of several previous attempts to interview and hire one. So at some point it was an actual priority. He's talking about player acquisitions as if they are a given, but again ... nobody permanent is in place to make those decisions. And the owner conducting exit interviews? Yeah. That's a thing that happened.

Buckle up kids ... this might be a bumpy ride.

Last edited:
he said on the games where they made an effort to bring in big crowds there were not a lot of wins so that won't help bring in more fans. He said he doesn't mind fans of other teams showing up. He figures more winning will convert those fans to Canes fans. He mentioned growing up an Eagles fan but now he's not a fan of them since he moved to Texas.

Good Lord people. Because we don't know what's going on in the GM search, and because we don't know what the Canes' plan is for Peters or Peters' plan for the Canes doesn't mean it's a cluster. It could very well be. I think it's important to hire the right GM. I think Dundon is undecided on the coach - which is exactly where he should be until he hires a GM and lets that guy make the call on the coach. Until then, based on the fact that Peters seems to be fairly highly regarded throughout the league, why would he burn any bridges there.

What did he say that was wrong in the press conference? I don't think there's any ownership magic that lets him be able to put his finger on and share what the organization feels are the issues. I think getting RF out of the GM position was because of a disagreement on how to move forward from a team that wasn't tough enough to play against, and generally not talented enough to overcome that. I know RF had a great career, but he was never a physical hard to play against kind of guy, and instead relied on his talent. Seems like he collected a lot of similar guys but mostly with less talent.

That presser scarred me... I had some hopes now I just hope this team doesn't set itself on fire.

Back