• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

But besides all that, look at the bright side. haha
Personally, I'm just hoping for a TOPGOLF location in Raleigh.
If anyone is keeping score at home...no one wants to work for "Mr. Hand's On" owner, the salary is peanuts at $400K a year, the potential candidates are dropping like flies, the team is free falling and has a $16 million dollar investment in a goalie that is ECHL-level grade, the Coach is a buffoon, the fan base is dwindling, and the team is about to go 9 straight years without a playoff berth...good times!!!

It could be a lot worse , remember the last time before 2016 the Cubs won the world series the games were not on the radio. Because radio had not been invented! :)

(Ditto for the Red Sox before 2004. )

I heard Waddell went to Florida. No link though...

Report: Waddell expected to represent Hurricanes at GM meetings

What I was really looking for was a report I read earlier this morning (but now cannot find) that involved Elliotte Friedman (I believe) reporting that Waddell slipped out of the GM meetings before they were finished and replied to a text inquiry from Friedman that there was too much to do back at the ranch (not the exact words, just the gist).

Dundon needs to get a handle on these rumors by giving DeCock, or someone in the national hockey press, access with some rehearsed talking points.

I'd be willing to bet that the $400K rumor, in particular, is just the end result of a game of grade-school Gossip where the original story gets distorted by the time it makes it to the end of the line.

Since it's so specific a number, might have come from an interviewee. But willing to be that was what was thrown around as salary to get to through the year, the draft, and perhaps early free agency until the full-season contract kicked in (presumably July 1??).

If so, $400K sounds about right for 3 months of service for a nominal $1.6M annual salary, just like most GM salaries.

Nick Kypreos posted the 400k thing on Twitter several days ago. No idea where he officially heard that or just made it up?

Well Waddell is here tonight...so that might all be true about him leaving early.
So we have NO ONE representing the team at the Spring GM meeting? Because there’s “too much to do” here in Raleigh?

Are they TRYING to get me to bail on season tickets?

TBK, you’ve given me an idea.
First fire peters.
Second a raffle, $5 per ticket.
Two drawings prior to each game to select the coach and GM for that game.

TBK, you’ve given me an idea.
First fire peters.
Second a raffle, $5 per ticket.
Two drawings prior to each game to select the coach and GM for that game.

That has as much value as that dinner with owner horsecrap they're peddling as a "prize" for renewing your ticket package. Trust me, you don't want me anywhere near your owner right now.

Might as well shut down anyone that has a lingering injury. Makes sense.

Here is today's useless Canes facts of the week.

Scott Darling currently sits at an .8851 Sv% as of last night's disaster. He's also played 39 games, almost certainly setting him up to play at least half of the Canes' game this season. So how bad is that .8851 Sv% for a Canes goalie that will play at least half of the team's games?

Well, not surprisingly, its the worst ever, in the entire 20 years of the Canes existence, for a goalie who has played half of the teams games. So how far back in FRANCHISE history do you need to go to find a save % worse than that for a goalie with 40+ appearances?

Mike Liut 1986-87 In 59 Games Liut's Sv% that season was .8847. The thing is, Liut's Sv% that season wasn't actually that bad, that was good for 18th in the NHL that season.

Useless fact #2....the Canes Sv% for the season currently sits at .8947. Again, that is the worst ever in Canes history. You would have to go all the way back to the 1993-94 Whalers season when the following 5 goalies:

Sean Burke (47 Games .906)
Frank Pietrangelo (19 Games .875)
Jeff Reese (19 Games .893)
Mario Gosselin (7 Games .804)
Mke Lenarduzzi (1 Game .917)

Combined for a team Save % of .8936

So congrats to Cam and Scott on those accomplishments!

Last edited:
SAS main owner Goodnight might try to buy the NFL panthers. I assume he turned down a chance to buy the Canes. I heard he had no interest in sports but I guess the NFL is the crown jewel of sports. Panthers will probably sell for around $2 bil.

Pesce and Rask to miss remainder of season with shoulder injuries.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news...IAL&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1521666543

McKeown recalled.

Pesce has been actively avoiding contact with that one shoulder for over a month now, so that's no surprise. He was in obvious pain after a few shifts on Tuesday. Rask ... I mean, I dunno how you would detect that he's been hurt without medical equipment. It's tough to tell his best effort from his worst these days and he shies away from contact at the best of times.

Bottom line ... I have no problem shutting down anybody with any injury more serious than sunburn. And I say that because both goalies have a permanent case of that at this point and somebody's got to play net.

Back