• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

None of these Olympic rosters are standing out as better than another which could make for a quite an interesting tournament on the ice! Sadly the live action will take place in the middle of night.

None of these Olympic rosters are standing out as better than another which could make for a quite an interesting tournament on the ice! Sadly the live action will take place in the middle of night.

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. Looks a lot like a World Championship tournament minus the odd big name from a team that missed the playoffs. Those are almost always more fun to watch than World Cups.

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. Looks a lot like a World Championship tournament minus the odd big name from a team that missed the playoffs. Those are almost always more fun to watch than World Cups.

Perhaps the Swiss, Germans and Latvians may give many of the usual hockey powers fits all tournament long!

Well, the Fanuary promotion must be doing well, the website seems to have crashed a few times when trying to exchange vouchers. Good problem to have I guess.

If you were trying to sell your lower level season tickets for any of these 11 home games the Fanuary promotion certainly doesn't help that. Even if I was willing to list my $51 per tickets via account manager and Ticketmaster resale, the lowest I can put them out for would list the tickets at $45 per. No one is going to buy those when then can buy any ticket in the lower level for less than that. And if you have more expensive season tickets you wanted to sell...well...forget it unless all of the $40 tickets sell out or you have seats that are desirable.'

I bought 4 tickets to the February Islander game in section 119 using the sale price...I would otherwise never have bought those seats. In an article a little while ago, Luke noted that his particular ticket sale had nothing to do with Tom Dunden...this was already in the works before he officially took over ownership. This clearly flies in the face of Waddell's 'ensure season tix holders have the best deal' mantra as people who forked over $119 for their full season tickets in section 119 are going to be slumming it over these 11 games with degenerates like me who paid a measly $43 per ticket to sit next to them. The vouchers blunt that a bit, but not by enough.

I mean, all for one and one for all, fill the building and all that jazz, and I have the cheapest lower level season tix you can get, but this certainly devalues EVERY full and partial season ticket in the lower level, and pretty substantially in some cases. It also wipes out a couple of Season Tix Holder appreciation game benefits (2 games). People are paying less than full season ticket holders for tickets as they did for 6 games around the holidays via the Black Friday sale. I do like a full building, I do appreciate the STM benefits I do get, but its not good practice to have people paying less than I did for 'better lower level tickets' for almost half a season's worth of games.

If we are going to do this type of thing in the future then we best be coming up with some better full season tix holder benefits or dropping the prices more...or maybe doing something to make full season ticket holders 'whole' for these game that are now being sold for under full season ticket holder value. As I said, I paid $51 per for my two seats.... how about a $22 x 11 game food credit? Or better yet put $220 into my account for playoff tickets. 4 ticket vouchers when I already have tickets? Helpful in my case, but for some that is kind of a slap in the face.

Last edited:
My season tix are in section 119 and I know I feel differently than some, but while we try to "rebuild" our brand and get some enthusiasm for the team for the rest of the year, I welcome you and others. Personally I'm growing very tired of sitting in a sea of visiting fans. I bought my seats this year (as other years) knowing the true "value" of them. Making this place the loudest house again would be nice.
If you were trying to sell your lower level season tickets for any of these 11 home games the Fanuary promotion certainly doesn't help that. Even if I was willing to list my $51 per tickets via account manager and Ticketmaster resale, the lowest I can put them out for would list the tickets at $45 per. No one is going to buy those when then can buy any ticket in the lower level for less than that. And if you have more expensive season tickets you wanted to sell...well...forget it unless all of the $40 tickets sell out or you have seats that are desirable.'

I bought 4 tickets to the February Islander game in section 119 using the sale price...I would otherwise never have bought those seats. In an article a little while ago, Luke noted that his particular ticket sale had nothing to do with Tom Dunden...this was already in the works before he officially took over ownership. This clearly flies in the face of Waddell's 'ensure season tix holders have the best deal' mantra as people who forked over $119 for their full season tickets in section 119 are going to be slumming it over these 11 games with degenerates like me who paid a measly $43 per ticket to sit next to them. The vouchers blunt that a bit, but not by enough.

I mean, all for one and one for all, fill the building and all that jazz, and I have the cheapest lower level season tix you can get, but this certainly devalues full and even partial season tickets, substantially!!!

I should have clarified that not all season ticket holders are going to be bothered by this. And I do expect (hope?) this is a just a final 'one off' because Dundon is going to work some magic when it comes to ticket sales that will eliminate the need for these drastic discounts in the future.

I would rather have the building filled in the short term, and my per game prices isn't that far off the $40 anyway. But I wouldn't like this to become the norm in future seasons.

I should have clarified that not all season ticket holders are going to be bothered by this. And I do expect (hope?) this is a just a final 'one off' because Dundon is going to work some magic when it comes to ticket sales that will eliminate the need for these drastic discounts in the future.

I'm bothered by it. And I got roasted on Twitter for expressing my frustration. The $40 deal undercuts my mezzanine seats by $15. As long as it's temporary, I can see the benefit, but if it's successful and is part of a trend back to the bad old days of Harris Teeter and Kangaroo promotions undercutting season ticket prices, it's counter productive. Dundon said as much in his response to Karmanos complaining about lousy attendance. He said "if the attendance is bad, that's our fault" or something to that effect. They need to build the STM base and promotional pricing for walk up tickets isn't the way to do it.

I'm definitely bothered by it. I'm in 118. This undercuts me by more than $60 a ticket. That's a lot. Vouchers do me no good. I travel for work and have to dump my tickets on occasion. Luckily, during this February schedule, I will only be out of town for 1 game so it won't hurt as much as it could have. We'll see how this goes moving forward.

They need to build the STM base and promotional pricing for walk up tickets isn't the way to do it.

Well they need to build the base in general, which is the most direct/effective way to build the STM base. A barn half filled with STMs is still only half filled. If they can fill the barn without any STMs that works. The season ticket base will grow when you can't just go buy tickets at the gate for any game you want to go to. I think in the past the organization has approached this the other way - try to increase the ST Sales without really increasing the demand in general. Seems to be a losing proposition.

If you fill the building with Canes fans, you create a buzz. You don't end up with games dominated by the other teams fans (as much anyway). If you fill the lower sections the event is more fun for everyone there, louder, more exciting etc. I do understand why it would bother you though - hopefully it will sort itself out and not be an issue going forward. If they had priced the tickets, including Season Tickets correctly based on the demand and the product on the ice, you wouldn't have this issue. It sounds like Dundon is thinking along the lines of get it full, build the buzz, fix the on ice product, and then you can start raising your prices to where you need them to be. Better future in losing gate revenue with a lot of tickets/fans than to lose it with less fans paying more for tickets.

Well, season tickets have been severely overpriced for awhile. The place doesn't fill up. There has to be more than a couple of bucks a, seat incentive to buy season tickets. And I've not been able to justify them for years. They need to un-Waddell this mess. Bring tickets back to Earth. Sell plenty. Get the place full and as, demand increases, then you can increase your prices. But this nonsense of fleecing the shit of the the couple thousand regular fans was a stupid idea from day one.

I'm bothered by it. And I got roasted on Twitter for expressing my frustration. The $40 deal undercuts my mezzanine seats by $15. As long as it's temporary, I can see the benefit, but if it's successful and is part of a trend back to the bad old days of Harris Teeter and Kangaroo promotions undercutting season ticket prices, it's counter productive. Dundon said as much in his response to Karmanos complaining about lousy attendance. He said "if the attendance is bad, that's our fault" or something to that effect. They need to build the STM base and promotional pricing for walk up tickets isn't the way to do it.

You are NOT wrong and I've been complaining about the club undercutting my tickets for more than a decade.

That said, in the current environment with a new owner trying to stoke short term interest with a clear goal of growing the STH base ... fine. Just don't make it an annual thing like it was around here for years and years.

It's kind of odd that people think basic econ principles should not apply to sports tickets. the basic idea is that when product is not selling something is going to change. And in this case not much can change other than the price. Yes they could give out free food etc. but I think people really respond to ticket price cuts. And they are aware people could choose not to buy season tickets over these price cuts but that's a risk they take.

If a buy a ticket to fly somewhere for $500 and then I find the guy sitting next to me paid $200 is that undercutting me ? Or is it just the way airlines sell tickets?

Which teams outside of Canada with no playoffs since 2009 are selling out ? (in other pro sports too) And even Ottawa has had trouble selling tickets.

You are NOT wrong and I've been complaining about the club undercutting my tickets for more than a decade.

That said, in the current environment with a new owner trying to stoke short term interest with a clear goal of growing the STH base ... fine. Just don't make it an annual thing like it was around here for years and years.

If they keep undercutting your tickets, why keep purchasing season tickets when you can buy them individually and never miss any games because none are sold out?

Well, season tickets have been severely overpriced for awhile. The place doesn't fill up. There has to be more than a couple of bucks a, seat incentive to buy season tickets. And I've not been able to justify them for years. They need to un-Waddell this mess. Bring tickets back to Earth. Sell plenty. Get the place full and as, demand increases, then you can increase your prices. But this nonsense of fleecing the shit of the the couple thousand regular fans was a stupid idea from day one.

It's a combination of what the market will bear and the consequences of 8 years out of the playoffs. And they overestimated what the market will bear, IMO. When they did the original STM drive to get to 12k, they cut the STM prices. I signed up over the summer of 2000 and my seats in 117 had been reduced to $35 each (I think they were $52). They muddled around there for a few years and took a big jump just before the lockout to $57 each (I think). That's when I moved to the mezzanine. Those tickets in 117 are now $86 (without sales tax), nearly a 150% increase over what I paid for them.

If they keep undercutting your tickets, why keep purchasing season tickets when you can buy them individually and never miss any games because none are sold out?

They had stopped that nonsense for a few years. It's a contributing factor to the attendance decrease, they stopped pumping cheap tickets into the market. As Cmal said above, Waddell came in with the assurances that STM would get the best prices. This is a 180 degree turn back to the old days.

Honestly, I buy season tickets to fully support the NHL franchise in my hometown. Period. Otherwise I'd have been out of that game years ago.I like sitting in my own seats year after year, but it ain't worth the premium I pay for the privilege. When they were making the playoffs regularly, maybe ... but not for the last decade. That was my statement of support, plain and simple.

The ticket promotion certainly worked for the first game. There are nothing but single, front 2 row, and resale seats available in the lower bowl for tomorrow's game against Vegas. Although, sometime in the next couple of hours, some additional, scattered lower bowl seats should pop up for sale. I know this because 2 of those ghost seats that only come up for sale around 11AM the day before the game are next to my 2 season tix. This makes trying to get 2 extra tickets for those seats right next to mine a somewhat frustrating effort.

Yeah. Discounting lower bowl tickets always works, so long as we're out of the NFL regular season ... for whatever reason.

Back