• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Look ... there's got to a be a little bit of reading between the lines with any of this. If you're waiting for Dundon to sit down with he media and discuss just how involved he's going to be in the day to day, you're never going to get it. And if that's what it takes to convince you then you're never going to be convinced.

I've come to accept my new hockey overlord. I don't like it, but I've accepted it.

If Dundon walks away after 3 years , Karmanos is again majority owner? And what happens to the cash Dundon paid to PK ? I assume Dundon gets some of the money back, but not all of it.

That's inaccurate representation of my point Jeffbear. I'm not waiting for him to say anything, but I'm also not reading between the lines to speculate about what it could mean and taking that as evidence either way. The evidence will be what happens with the GM decision and what happens with player decisions, etc. Those things are going to happen one way or the other, and how they happen will be what convinces me either way.

That's inaccurate representation of my point Jeffbear. I'm not waiting for him to say anything, but I'm also not reading between the lines to speculate about what it could mean and taking that as evidence either way. The evidence will be what happens with the GM decision and what happens with player decisions, etc. Those things are going to happen one way or the other, and how they happen will be what convinces me either way.

Fine ... just pardon me while I fill in a few gaps in the meantime. While we wait for him to do stuff.

If Dundon walks away after 3 years , Karmanos is again majority owner? And what happens to the cash Dundon paid to PK ? I assume Dundon gets some of the money back, but not all of it.

Dunno. Haven't read the sales agreement and probably never will. It's been reported numerous times that he has an out clause. That means one basic thing with a virtually unlimited set of variables. But the basic thing is ... he can walk away based on a defined set of conditions. But the fact that he can walk away is what makes it an out clause ... and those make me nervous when it comes to sports teams and neophyte owners. Presumably it means that he has the option of not completing the sale ... sticking Karmanos with his 40-whatever percent minority position rather than buying the rest of the stock. But that's a presumption.

If you'll recall, I have always been a bit squeamish about this part of the deal.

Last edited:
I suppose if Dundon wants out the NHL could become the majority owner until they find a new buyer. They ran the Coyotes for a while .

Interesting: Full season STHer Select-A-Seat is on May 8-9 and other plans will be done online this summer. There goes my sinister plan to downgrade my seats at S-A-S if they don't do crap in the offseason.

I don't see Karmanos agreeing to take the team back in 3 years if Dundon pulls out. Don't see him giving money back , even if he keeps most of it. The most logical answer is the NHL must have agreed to run the team until a new buyer is found.

Interesting: Full season STHer Select-A-Seat is on May 8-9 and other plans will be done online this summer. There goes my sinister plan to downgrade my seats at S-A-S if they don't do crap in the offseason.

I talked to my rep when I renewed, since I was on the fence about a staying as a full season or downgrading to 11 or 26 games. He said to wait until after SAS was done to protect my seats. He said sometime in July. Of course, if I wait until then and downgrade to 11 games, they'll owe me a credit. Which they'll try to persuade me to keep on account.

Last edited:
From the weather channel
‘These 2017 hurricanes were so notorious their names will never be used again’.
The only ones I could think of were bill peters and Justin Faulk.

Semi-news ... Peters' planned media availability this week has been ... something. It ain't happening, and the club now says he'll be available sometime next week. That of course would be AFTER his option to walk away expires on Saturday. Stay tuned, sports fans.

Nah, we are not going to get that lucky and have Peters decide he would rather go coach somewhere else. He is going to need to be fired if we really want to get rid of him.

I'm taking great comfort in the fact that Peters was NOT conducting player exit interviews.

If he was coming back next season, then dialog/feedback between coach and player is essential for off-season programming purposes, if nothing else.

The fact that it was the owner only for those exit interviews (with all the peculiarities associated with that) says to me Peters is not coming back.

Hopefully players at least got some exiting feedback from the assistant coaches, if nothing else ("more of this, less of that, work on these X things").

However, this may all be a coping mechanism on my part to maintain sanity.

Well, the decision to separate coach and players at season's end was made before those interviews occurred.

Maybe the interviews confirmed the decision, but seemed to already have been made in my mind.

Nah, we are not going to get that lucky and have Peters decide he would rather go coach somewhere else. He is going to need to be fired if we really want to get rid of him.

I still want somebody to tell me where exactly the impression that there's some sort of market demand for Peters' services comes from. It can't be the fact that he keeps getting the Canada gig for the Worlds, because they'll literally get any NHL coach who's not in the playoffs to do that.

I think Dundon asked for, and maybe got, some serious, unedited responses about the coach, in the exit interviews. Which is why Peters wasn't invited. "Please trade me, if he's back, or I plan to sign elsewhere " speaks volumes.

I think Dundon asked for, and maybe got, some serious, unedited responses about the coach, in the exit interviews. Which is why Peters wasn't invited. "Please trade me, if he's back, or I plan to sign elsewhere " speaks volumes.

Yeah ... that has to be the assumption. But again, until stuff happens I'm not getting invested in anything.

Back