• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Convenience/Team Support - You either think it is a pain in the a$$ (which it is) to buy individual game tickets via secondary markets even though you would be saving a ton of money or you just like the fact you are supporting the local team and have no hassle same seats for each game.

Being able to buy tickets below full season tix holder pricing on the secondary market is completely different than having the team itself sell tickets below full season holder per game prices. A team can get away with running some big deals on a few games per year that will likely not be well attended anyway. But to effectively sell lower bowl seats for almost 20 regular season game at well below full season holder per game prices (and WAY WAY below partial plan holder prices)? That's not a particularly smart thing to do. They might get away with that this one season under the guise of trying to to drum up interest with a new owner in place. They are really pushing their luck doing that again for as many games next season.

If they want to pull crap like that and not piss off full season ticket holders its not that complicated to fix. For full season tix members, credit our account the difference between the full season tix per game price and the box office sale price that undercut that.

So they offered what, about 14 Games last year for $40 a ticket anywhere in the lower bowl? My LL North full season tix are $51 a game. Credit my account 14 games x $11 a seat x 2 seats = $308 and you just made me whole. Someone with full season tix in Section 119 ($119 per game) with 2 seats? Credit their account 14 games x $79 a seat x 2 seats = $2,212. You just made them whole as well.

Its not very complicated and that 'protects' full season ticket member value. In fact it would enhance it as you don't have to worry about 'should I have just taken advantage of all of the discounts all season instead?' Offer that benefit only to full season ticket members, only as an end of the year credit and ONLY toward a full season ticket renewal. You want to give a full season ticket member real value? Effectively guarantee their per game price is the lowest the team will sell a ticket in their section for and give them a future full season ticket credit for the difference when its not. Is that really too much to ask? I think you will eliminate the whole 'undercutting' argument AND possibly sell even more full season tickets by offering that 'price protection'.

With that in place, then you can run all the discounts that the organization feels are necessary without having to worry about devaluing full season ticket holders. Win for the full season tix members, win for all of the fans who elect to take advantage of big discounts when they are available, win for the franchise because now everyone is happy and the lower bowl is full (yeah, ok, they don't make as much money, but WINNING, is how that gets fixed, not by big discounts and undercutting season tix members).

Last edited:
On the coaching front, I hope Peters goes, one way or the other. As for the replacement, I would love to see an experienced guy. I remember hearing about Trotz beating up Zack Boychuk when he was doing the NHL waiver claim tour and was in Nashville for a bit. I will always respect him for that. But I would be weary about hiring a guy that seems to never be able to get over the hump.

I've kind of resigned myself that Vellucci will be our next head coach. I have no clue how that will work out, but I'm not expecting the Canes to go back to giving an experienced NHL head coach the job again, at least not for next season.

Oh, and how in the world is Bill Peters getting paid $1.6 million? Anyone else think that is a way too high for a guy in his 4th year who has won nothing at the NHL level?

-----edit ----

Here is a partial answer to my question above, you can draw your own conclusions: https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

Last edited:
On the coaching front, I hope Peters goes, one way or the other. As for the replacement, I would love to see an experienced guy. I remember hearing about Trotz beating up Zack Boychuk when he was doing the NHL waiver claim tour and was in Nashville for a bit. I will always respect him for that. But I would be weary about hiring a guy that seems to never be able to get over the hump.

I've kind of resigned myself that Vellucci will be our next head coach. I have no clue how that will work out, but I'm not expecting the Canes to go back to giving an experienced NHL head coach the job again, at least not for next season.

Yeah. I'd love to see an experienced hand at the wheel for the Canes, especially with what I expect will be a churning roster in the next couple of seasons. But if we HAVE to go the other way then we could do worse than Vellucci. I think I've been consistent on that position. Right now, there just doesn't seem to be any urgency to make that call or the call at GM, which I've got to classify as curious. Time is not really a luxury we can afford, as the draft is coming whether we're ready for it or not. And this is NOT a franchise that's in any position to be punting on a draft class because we haven't done our homework. Honestly, the coach thing can wait. The GM ... well, you know where I stand on that front.

I mean, I guess so. The Stars job and the job with the Rangers are the only two current openings. If we're supposed to believe that statement that the Canes have been asked for permission to talk to Peters by "multiple" clubs that would almost certainly indicate that he's at least on the depth chart for both openings. Two is after all a multiple. I know there's been some speculation that Boucher's job in Ottawa is still not safe, but pretty much everyone else with a presumed opening have openly backed their existing coach. That would leave the playoff teams that might get frustrated and fire their coach if they get dumped early ... so, Washington, maybe Anaheim, maybe LA. The rest are coming off of really good regular seasons and aren't really likely to have reached the breaking point with their coach. Call me a skeptic again, but other than maybe Dallas (and Ottawa if that ends up being an opening) I just flat out can't see a fit in any of those organizations. Can you see the Rangers hiring Peters? Because I can't. Ditto Washington. LA just made a change relatively recently, but I could see Carlyle getting the past his sell-by date notice in Anaheim. But Peters? Ummm.

Add the Flames to that; they just fired Gulutzan

OK ... that might make more sense than any of the others, actually.

Psst. Hey Johnny Flame ... I got somebody you need to talk to right here. Alberta born and bred. Experienced. Boring. Clean water fanatic. Right up your alley.

Laviolette at $2 million is a bargain, no? And I'm surprised that Vigneault wasn't making more.

Lavy is a serious bargain at that price, likely to get a raise if they win the Cup this year.

I am surprise Detroit players even listen to Blashill at the $800K salary. That is peanuts for an NHL head coach and should be embarrassing to Detroit. Peters seems slotted about right at time he was hired. 4 years later, and not winning a thing, I don't see people lined up for his services. They are going to have to fire him because no sane person walks away from millions owed on principle.

Peters to the Flames is gaining traction in the media. This would be part Luck part Houdini act if the Canes somehow manage to not only get rid of Wild Bill but also save $1.6 million in the process all while seeing him firmly planted in the Western Conference where you only would have to see that shit eating grin twice a season.

Does Kinetico sell ice systems in Calgary?

Kinetico Canada Incorporated
Toll Free: 1-866-351-8722
Phone: +1-905-857-9583
Fax: +1-905-857-8411
#10 - 21 Parr Blvd
Bolton, Ontario
Canada ON L7E 4G3

Don't know if they have a rep in Calgary though...

Peters to the Flames is gaining traction in the media. This would be part Luck part Houdini act if the Canes somehow manage to not only get rid of Wild Bill but also save $1.6 million in the process all while seeing him firmly planted in the Western Conference where you only would have to see that shit eating grin twice a season.

Actually the triple dip for the Canes would be seeing Peters leave and stay in the East ... or even better yet, the Metro. You WANT to play that guy's team.

And do remember that traction in the hockey media sometimes comes from source work, but more often just from connecting the logic dots. Carolina is leaving him hanging, he's from Alberta, Calgary fires their coach ... beep, boop, beep ... Peters to Calgary. You know the drill. Every Toronto boy wants to play for the Leafs, ever Quebecois wants to play for the Habs and every single Albertan dreams of nothing less than playing for or coaching the Flames.

Last edited:
Sometimes a coach's first job does not work out . For an extreme example look at Bill Belichick in Cleveland.

BTW I am NOT saying Peters is going to get another job and suddenly start doing much better. He could easily bomb with another team too.

I think other teams are thinking along the lines of 'well lately nobody wins in Carolina so the problem there is greater than just Peters' They can't be thinking "well he sucks but lets hire him anyway. "

I wonder if Peters is looking at this from a pure mercenary perspective. He knows he's susceptible to being fired, but why not wait until after Friday to see if he can collect on one end and then get hired on the other? That would be a pretty nice bonus. There's little risk for him in leaving before Friday. Of course, if he's approached by another team after his walk-away deadline, they could always renegotiate the contract.

Actually the triple dip for the Canes would be seeing Peters leave and stay in the East ... or even better yet, the Metro. You WANT to play that guy's team.

And do remember that traction in the hockey media sometimes comes from source work, but more often just from connecting the logic dots. Carolina is leaving him hanging, he's from Alberta, Calgary fires their coach ... beep, boop, beep ... Peters to Calgary. You know the drill. Every Toronto boy wants to play for the Leafs, ever Quebecois wants to play for the Habs and every single Albertan dreams of nothing less than playing for or coaching the Flames.

I guess one thing that plays in the Canes favor is timing this week...if the so called Peters out clause deadline is Friday, you would think his camp has some urgency in talking to Calgary quick and if there is a job offer in place, that all needs to be announced by Friday! That timing certainly helps the Canes, because saving $1.6 million and being able to perhaps lure a new GM here that can select his own coach sure helps the process. Some GM's that would have to inherit a lame duck coach like Peters may say thanks but no thanks. I just personally think a clean slate with a new coach and GM here sounds like a much cleaner way to go moving forward.

I wonder if Peters is looking at this from a pure mercenary perspective. He knows he's susceptible to being fired, but why not wait until after Friday to see if he can collect on one end and then get hired on the other? That would be a pretty nice bonus. There's little risk for him in leaving before Friday. Of course, if he's approached by another team after his walk-away deadline, they could always renegotiate the contract.

I see where you may be going with that line of thinking, but if Peters waits past Friday and the Canes are on the hook for his salary, that pretty much takes him out of the running for any open head coaching jobs this summer he may think are better opportunities long term for his family. Lame duck coach for one year at $1.6 million with an owner that places you on the hot seat...or a long term 4 year new deal and a fresh start somewhere else? I'd take the new long term deal, even if I wanted to stick it to my old team. Most head coaches that are under contract to a team that fired them can take a new job, but they surrender any money owed from the old club...so I'm pretty sure he cannot collect on one end and get hired on the other.

Sometimes a coach's first job does not work out . For an extreme example look at Bill Belichick in Cleveland.

BTW I am NOT saying Peters is going to get another job and suddenly start doing much better. He could easily bomb with another team too.

I think other teams are thinking along the lines of 'well lately nobody wins in Carolina so the problem there is greater than just Peters' They can't be thinking "well he sucks but lets hire him anyway. "

Yeah, I get that. But Peters is a con man selling his folder of rainbows and dreams. He duped Francis on the dream of playing "Detroit hockey" mixed with modern 21st century analytics ... only to turn out to be an incompetent game manager, a tone deaf man manager and a snarling jerk with the "press." He's the prototypical career climber who has reached his ceiling. But yeah, I could see him conning another GM into thinking he's the best of both worlds ... a system guy AND an analytics guy. Mostly because that's what GMs seem to want to hear these days.

There are plenty of guys who have learned on the job over time and grew into decent coaches ... Paul Maurice, Pete Laviolette, Pete DeBoer to name a few. There are plenty of guys who win for no apparent reason given their seeming lack of savvy ... Bruce Boudreau, Claude Julien ... generally because they're terrific man managers. There are also guys who are clearly in over their heads and too stubborn to know it. That's Peters. Those guys? They don't generally improve in the next job.

I'm pretty sure he cannot collect on one end and get hired on the other.

Correct, unless the contract he's got with the Canes is VERY weirdly written. Typically the coach getting fired gets paid his contract amount for the term of his deal unless he negotiates a settlement on different terms or takes another job. At which point the club may or may not be on the hook for raw difference between the old salary and the new. Again, depending on the terms. It would be very unusual indeed to have a contract that guarantees payment for the full length of the deal regardless of circumstances.

they could extend the deadline beyond this week. I think it will be settled one way or another by the start of May when the Euro tourney starts.

Back