• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Peters to the Flames is gaining traction in the media. This would be part Luck part Houdini act if the Canes somehow manage to not only get rid of Wild Bill but also save $1.6 million in the process all while seeing him firmly planted in the Western Conference where you only would have to see that shit eating grin twice a season.

You'd like to think the Flames will not try anymore cast offs from the Canes-- Eddie Lack and Ryan Murphy were a bust and Kevin Westgarth added little to the Flames team when they picked him up from us. So, yes, if they are going after Bill Peters, caveat emptor.

You'd like to think the Flames will not try anymore cast offs from the Canes-- Eddie Lack and Ryan Murphy were a bust and Kevin Westgarth added little to the Flames team...

Ex-Cane Marty Gelinas is still there! Somehow managed to escape the chopping block this week.

Ryan Murphy was immediately bought out by Calgary, That was part of the price to get Lack somehow...one of Ronnie's better trades.

Wild Bill just wants to come home to Alberta

Just have to laugh with that Calgary Sun article suggesting that the Flames had too many passengers and need a coach to kick some ass and push the players. And Peters is the obvious frontrunner?

Yeah, too many passengers and accountability, where have I heard those terms before.....

Luke DeCock was on NHL Network yesterday. When asked about Dundon and conducting player exit interviews solo, DeCock had an interesting spin. Coaching is in flux, Waddell is not going to be GM and is more focused on business, RF who was responsible for the current roster and has been "promoted," who else would conduct the exit interviews? DeCock seemed to be of the opinion in that framework, it made sense, especially if the new guy wanted to feel the pulse of the players and organization. When asked about the GM search and coaching, he acknowledged the search got off to a very rocky start, but anticipates the search will be more fruitful going forward, noting that there are not 100s of GM jobs available. Further described the relationship between Dundon and RF as just a personality conflict and stylistic issue. Said RF has credit for developing the prospects in the Canes systems, but his approach was more deliberate than Dundon wants.

Just have to laugh with that Calgary Sun article suggesting that the Flames had too many passengers and need a coach to kick some ass and push the players. And Peters is the obvious frontrunner?

Yeah, too many passengers and accountability, where have I heard those terms before.....

I'm not sure if it's the Babcock ties or the grooming in the Red Wings old system as to why Wild Bill is so highly thought of in some circles around the NHL, but I agree, you have to laugh when you see Wild Bill as the front runner elsewhere for jobs when he really did not do much here to hang his hat on.

I guess Peters has done a fair amount of brown nosing gigs with Hockey Canada both at the World Championships and the World Cup of Hockey to warrant some of the attention, but really what has the guy ever really won at the NHL level?

I guess Peters has done a fair amount of brown nosing gigs with Hockey Canada both at the World Championships and the World Cup of Hockey to warrant some of the attention, but really what has the guy ever really won at the NHL level?

Surely hasn't won a coaches challenge or an OT game!

If Calgary is somehow conned into taking Peters, the Canes mystery GM should immediately get on the phone and tell Calgary how promising Darling looked to end the year. Darling would look great in a flames uniform. Is it asking too much for Wild Bill to also bring Ryan along with him?

That's not true, he broke his duck on coaches challenge this year.

We actually did win 5 OT's this season (3 by shootout, of all things), including the first and last game.

But lost 11 OT's (2 by shootout).

And there was a big drought in OT wins from mid-December until that last game in April, which is why it probably feels like "never".

I'm not sure if it's the Babcock ties or the grooming in the Red Wings old system as to why Wild Bill is so highly thought of in some circles around the NHL, but I agree, you have to laugh when you see Wild Bill as the front runner elsewhere for jobs when he really did not do much here to hang his hat on.

Boomer said the same thing-- what has Bill Peters accomplished in Raleigh in four years? What does he offer Calgary-- a four year long play off drought??

Tippett seems like a safer choice than Peters in Calgary. I've been a Canes fan far too long...we all deep down know how this is going to go, Peters mulls other jobs, no one is interested, Canes end up giving the guy an extension this summer to keep him happy, Peters continues to suck, wash, rinse, repeat.

:banghead:

I wonder what Flames fans think of Peters? Anyone know a website they use? They don't use forum ice.

I've read a couple of "next coach" threads on Calgary boards, specifically their Hockey Futures board and their own website's board.

Peters is definitely in the fan discussion of candidates, along with the bigger names. More like the choice than dislike it.

Lack of playoff appearances and PP success is attributed more to our lack of talent, specifically starting goaltender and 1C, than coaching. They like what they see when they play us. And Team Canada liking him goes far with that crowd.

Add in the return-to-Alberta angle and there are many ready to join Friedman's assessment that Peters is likely their next coach.

We can hope.

I guess one thing that plays in the Canes favor is timing this week...if the so called Peters out clause deadline is Friday, you would think his camp has some urgency in talking to Calgary quick and if there is a job offer in place, that all needs to be announced by Friday! That timing certainly helps the Canes, because saving $1.6 million and being able to perhaps lure a new GM here that can select his own coach sure helps the process. Some GM's that would have to inherit a lame duck coach like Peters may say thanks but no thanks. I just personally think a clean slate with a new coach and GM here sounds like a much cleaner way to go moving forward.

Thanks for the clarification. It would make sense that his contract would avoid the possibility of double dipping.

Back