• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Yeah. I get that. Daniels has at least some credentials, but I would REALLY like for SOMEBODY to bring in a fresh voice. Somebody who has worked for another organization recently ... one that functions like a real live NHL franchise, not the weird nonsense we've done here for the last decade.

Daniels hasn't worked for another club since he the 98-99 season when he was a cup of coffee guy for Nashville and a grinder for their IHL affiliate. He then spent four completely nondescript years on the Canes playing on the 4th line (nearly invisibly) and killing penalties (quite well). He somehow managed to play 260 games in that stretch while doing next to nothing 5 on 5, so you've got to give him credit for that. I guess. I have a hard time believing that he'd have stuck that hard at virtually any other club. Then we hired him to scout and then to coach in the minors. I remember clearly the buzz from our local press about how Daniels was a natural fit to be the head coach of the Canes some day ... but weirdly, nobody outside of Raleigh ever said anything like that. And after the Canes went another direction in Charlotte he landed one of those "old hand" gigs as a scout for the Canes. A department, it must be noted, where we have been less than effective.

You can spin Jeff Daniels a lot of ways, but if he was honestly any kind of coach you'd think he'd have been able to get another AHL job after Charlotte. I just look at him and see a guy that this franchise loves for some reason, while everybody else in pro hockey shrugs and wonders why.

Let's not cry over milk that may never be spilt... I hope we don't hire him too, but including him in the interview process would be expected I would imagine if he had interest. I don't think he'd be a good decision. He didn't stand out as a player and he's been pretty pedestrian since - so what does he bring?

Wesley not returning is fine with me. Never saw what he brought to the table after he retired. He struck me the same way I see Daniels- barnacles on the SS Hurricane- just there for the ride.

Not thrilled with Daniels’ return just because it’s JD. I guess it could be worse.

Well we have our bottom-6 coach. :sarcasm

How did we know it was August? Because Jeff Daniels was signing yet another 1-year contract to fill out the bottom-6 as a utility guy.

Assume this is Brindy's choice. He does have (at least some) credentials. Is used to working with the age group that is our team. And what counts, after all, is results.

But, yes, jeffbear...the optics...not good.

N&O says Wesley lives in Utah now. I wonder why/when he moved there , maybe big on skiing or maybe one of his kids moved there? It's a nice place but the winters are cold but I guess that does not matter to a Canadian. I think he had a beach house here too .

Daniels is competent, but we need better than competent. I don't like how it looks, but more importantly I don't passing on yet another opportunity to bring in a fresh set of eyes and a fresh perspective.

Wesley ... meh. I've always told you guys that Wesley and Stillman don't really do much in those mostly ceremonial roles as "development coaches." Maybe they decided one guy could do the same pile of nearly nothing as cheaply as two. Wes is an awesome guy, but he's running camps, working for his outreach ministry and occasionally having a chat with a Canes defensive prospect. He'll be fine and the club will be fine if he stops doing the latter.

Jeff Daniels! Well that certainly doesn't move the needle in the direction we all would like to see it going. :sleepey:

I agree outsiders can be very helpful. On the other hand Peters and Muller were outside hires with no ties to the Canes, and of course so was Laviolette - they are batting .333 on head coaches from the outside .

Guess Brindy is going with someone he knows (assuming this was his call). I'd like to see less inbreeding, but we've been banging our head against the tree for a long time regarding that.

I had no idea Wesley was living in Utah.

Hopefully Brindy had almost all of the decision making on this. As much as I see this as a 'meh' hiring, if Daniels is the guy Brindy felt was best for job, I suppose I should defer to him. Brindy sure as heck needs to feel comfortable with his assistants and apparently Brindy is convinced Daniels is the right guy for the job.

SO there is that I guess. I would have liked Brindy to be a little less comfortable and willing to include a different voice, but we are already asking a lot of Brindy to turn this mess around. With the rumors flying around, Jeff Daniel's hiring will be a insignificant blip on the offseason changes radar once the roster moves start up. Need to save my moaning and groaning as a fan for the really important stuff like giving away coveted NHL assets for picks and assorted junk like all the rumors suggest we are poised to do. I can save ripping into Daniels when things are going wrong in the regular season.

Last edited:
Upon further review I am reminded that Jeff Daniels' player/coaching career includes:

- 2 Stanley Cup rings as a player for the Penguins
- 1 Stanley Cup ring as an assistant coach under Laviolette
- that his first season ('03-'04) as an assistant coach began under Mo but transitioned to Laviolette (31st game of the season) where he stuck
- that his duties evidently included PK (where he had a wealth of experience) and acting as a liaison between coach/players

So not only did Brind'Amour play with him during Daniels' last three seasons as a player, but also under him as the forwards assistant coach leading up to and including the Stanley Cup season.

I can see both the comfort level and the fit.

Who is going to run the PP? Daniels obviously was not a PP guy in his playing career. Brindy supposedly was responsible for the PP as an assistant. Who 'ran the PP' when Laviolette was the head coach?

Who is going to run the PP? Daniels obviously was not a PP guy in his playing career. Brindy supposedly was responsible for the PP as an assistant. Who 'ran the PP' when Laviolette was the head coach?

The PP was great in the 2006 playoffs at 24%, but it wasn’t that good during Laviolette’s first 2 full seasons with an uptick in the 3rd season. In 05-06, it was 17th at 17.9%. In 06-07, it was 25th at 15.0% and in 07-08, it was 8th at 18.8% for a cumulative 17.2%, 20th in the league. It was 18th in 08-09 at 18.7%

Back