• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Could be some fire to that smoke. He's RFA this summer with no extension in hand as per Slavin/Pesce.

We're loaded on the left side and Slavin is not going anywhere. With Fleury emerging we might could afford lose a top-4 D-man.

But perhaps Hanifin > Faulk for potential offense from the D ranks. So not a trade to be made lightly.

Watching the game yesterday, a couple of things on Hanifin.

When he decides to take the puck - wow. He's the real deal.

That being said, after reading this rumor - you gotta wonder if the state of the team is starting to get to some of the players. Not a good sign when they don't want to sign long term after their entry deals. May be a rumor, but may also be telling of the overall climate of the club. You can almost not blame Hanifin if its true. Oh and yeah, 100% Hanifin is a better defenseman than Faulk.

I've been wondering what is going to happen when Jeff Skinner enters the final year of his contract next season. If the Canes have failed to make the playoffs this season and you are Jeff Skinner, how interested are you to re-up for another 6+ season with this franchise?

1 playoff appearance in a decade, worst attendance in the league, and a lame duck owner. Who wouldn't want to sign long term :couch

Only the Isles (without an arena) are likely in worse shape from a player perspective. That said a new owner with budget fixes a lot of Carolina issues.

I've been wondering what is going to happen when Jeff Skinner enters the final year of his contract next season. If the Canes have failed to make the playoffs this season and you are Jeff Skinner, how interested are you to re-up for another 6+ season with this franchise?

Nope. I'd bolt like a raccoon when the porch light comes on! Skinner should too.

I'll bet you lunch that Skinner is sick of Bill Peters antics as well.

Not really curious here in Raleigh, but curious none the less as to why none of our esteemed sports media never asked Peters why he benched his team's leading scorer in overtime against the Ducks. If I'm Jeff Skinner and I'm on a team that has not made any substantial gains, yep, I'm taking my UFA hind parts out of the Triangle and going to the highest bidder with the potential to win a cup sooner than later.

I don't have a source, but pretty sure he was asked something about that during the post-game presser in the off-mike inaudible manner those questions get asked that they never seem to be able to cure.

So all I heard was his frankly flippant answer: "That line was -4" or something like that. Which, again, don't remember the specifics as to why, but I do remember thinking "yeah, Ryan".

Gotta admit he had Skinner out in the very next OT. Maybe he heard about it from on high. But had to laugh when Skinner immediately coughed it up going 1-on-2.

Thanks for the comment- explains Peters’ reasoning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Good to be in the "Good" quadrant for something: Team Shot Rates

Now, if only we can get some of those shots in net instead of just at net.

[Corsi for and against being all shots attempted including blocked and missed, not just those on net.]

S/T to @ChartingHockey

But isn’t that the complaint we had with Mo?! Couldn’t score but have a high number of SOG...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a different approach as to how and when those shots are launched. But perhaps the two eras share the common trait of no one waiting for them in front of the goalie and/or following the shot and crashing the net.

Also the Mo era "hot goalie, hot goalie" years seemed to have had an inordinate number of shots straight to the logo. At least this era's shots seem to be a bit more dangerous and are at least launched from a bit closer to the target.

But it's crashing for rebounds that scores a lot of NHL goals. And we're still working on that aspect.

Just watch the shootout to see exactly how much creativity this team doesn't have. There's a major lack of skill.

Maybe a different approach as to how and when those shots are launched. But perhaps the two eras share the common trait of no one waiting for them in front of the goalie and/or following the shot and crashing the net.

Also the Mo era "hot goalie, hot goalie" years seemed to have had an inordinate number of shots straight to the logo. At least this era's shots seem to be a bit more dangerous and are at least launched from a bit closer to the target.

But it's crashing for rebounds that scores a lot of NHL goals. And we're still working on that aspect.

There was a lot more traffic against the Panthers than I had seen in a while, but Luongo was really good at directing the rebounds away. On the PP, they usually had someone in front of Luongo. But then he'd pop behind the goal line to receive a passand look for a cutter coming down the slot.

A couple of moves today, ahead of the trip to Columbus.

Pesce and Stempniak were activated from IR. Stempniak was sent to Charlotte on a conditioning assignment. Pesce practiced with Slavin. McKeown was sent down to Charlotte.

Also announced today, Jason Shaya, the Checkers radio play by play guy, will get his first NHL callup to work the game in Toronto on 12/19 because The Mighty Forslund will be working a national TV game.

Unlike Brown...there is a chance PDG plays some games on the 4th line.

Peters comment about changing up the personnel on the PP is easier said than done. The PP already uses 8 forwards and 2 D. The forwards not used is general are McGinn, Jooris, Nordstrom and Kruger...leaving you really only McGinn as an option at forward.

What I would like to see, in addition to McGinn on the PP is playing Slavin with Faulk at the points as a unit. Slavin to me has untapped PP potential.

Thought it might be almost unfair to look back at Faulk's first 15 games last season, still perhaps rehabbing his way back from the suspected high ankle sprain as a result of the practice scrimmage slew-footing by Malone.

But he sure looked better than this season.

2016-2017 (15 GP): 3-4-7 (1 PP goal) w/ 28 hits and 37 shots

2017-2018 (15 GP): 1-2-3 (0 PP goal) w/ 26 hits and 49 (!) shots

And those 3 points all occurred in just 2 games. Two PP assists in Edmonton (10/17) and an even strength goal against Anaheim (10/29).

Faulk is the coldest of cold. At least Aho has 8 assists.

Last edited:
Back