• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

Maybe I got real lucky but I went to a NCSU FB game during the fair and even showed up late and traffic was OK. It was around 79.

In 1979 it wasn't even a little bit of a problem. It wasn't a problem in the 80s either for the most part. It was the mid 90s when it got bad ... and then worse. The city grew, the fair grew, and then the arena construction (and eventually the building) actually made parking for football more spread out and difficult ... by the end it was a nightmare.

every time there a a big stadium concert like U2 or Stones , people who don't know the area leave late and get stuck in bad traffic. Some of them don't make the opening of the show. A few say they missed the whole show. Locals know to show up early and tailgate for concerts.

supposed to reopen before FB season which starts Sep 1st

Key words "supposed to" ... but the summer weather has been fairly cooperative thus far so there's probably a chance it gets done on time. FWIW, over 70% of DOT roadworks projects finish more than 30 days after their scheduled completion dates.

Bottom line ... I wouldn't hold my breath, but there's a chance.

Some new tsn.ca reading for today:

Justin Faulk.... https://www.tsn.ca/talent/just-how-good-is-justin-faulk-1.1123444

And the already discussed 'Skinner is squashing trades': https://www.tsn.ca/report-skinner-turned-down-trades-1.1121748

There isn't much meat in that second link BUT that will let you get to Andy Strickland's tweet if you care to read all of the comments. Those comments include Luke DeCock basically saying that last he knew Skinner hadn't been asked to waive his NMC yet (effectively calling BS on Strickland).

Note on that first story regarding Faulk, this is the 2nd time I have read somewhere recently that Justin Faulk has a NTC that starts on July 1st. That isn't listed on capfriendly.com, but obviously that could accelerate the Canes efforts to trade Faulk if that is true.

Last edited:
If Trinity road is not ready Sept 1 will Pack fans ask for Yow's head on a platter? :) or can she just blame DOT? I know she's leaving next year anyway. I guess NCSU fans are happy now with sports except for baseball and like most schools not many care about anything other than BB or FB. I suppose as long as the high rollers like Murphy can avoid the closed road all will be well.

Doeren is safe for now but the moving vans are probably headed to blue heaven west for Fedora - who ironically was safe just a few years ago . Things change fast. Just ask Rick Pitino - penthouse to outhouse in a year

I'm trying to remember if there was a State Fair game when I had full season tickets in 99-00 or 00-01 or 01-02 before my NJ hiatus. I don't remember the parking agony if there was a State Fair game I went to, but that is a long time ago so I probably buried the memory.

they tried a home game during the fair once maybe around 2003? It was a weeknight game .

It was October 19, 2002. State fair, NCSU-Duke in the afternoon, Canes-NJ at 7pm. That was before Edwards Mill was opened from Duraleigh to Wade. I've told the story before, but that was also the day we got married, at a church on Blue Ridge Road. After the ceremony, we loaded up the limo to go a mile and a half to the NC Museum of Art for the reception. It took well over an hour.

That's the catastrophe that precipitated the no-fair games policy. With Edwards Mill now open all the way from Duraleigh to 54, as long as they don't have a football game too, it might be plausible. But I'm skeptical.

Last edited:
This is the type on analytics that actually matches the eyeball. Faulk is a terrible defensive player. When the puck is on his tape against the wall in the defensive zone, he is more likely than most to cough it up into the slot which leads other teams to grade A chances.

If Trinity road is not ready Sept 1 will Pack fans ask for Yow's head on a platter? :) or can she just blame DOT? I know she's leaving next year anyway. I guess NCSU fans are happy now with sports except for baseball and like most schools not many care about anything other than BB or FB. I suppose as long as the high rollers like Murphy can avoid the closed road all will be well.

Doeren is safe for now but the moving vans are probably headed to blue heaven west for Fedora - who ironically was safe just a few years ago . Things change fast. Just ask Rick Pitino - penthouse to outhouse in a year

This isn't a State board so I won't get into all that except to say the the DOT tried to get the pedestrian tunnel approved for the previous year's football schedule but couldn't get it included in the approved budget. If State fans want to be salty they should direct it at their Republican budget writers who sat on the project in 2017 for no discernible reason other than a petty turf battle with our DOT District. Yow had nothing to do with it, and it wasn't even the University's idea. The Dept of Agriculture wanted the crossing to address safety concerns by reducing the stress that pedestrian crossings put on that intersection. There have been upwards of 10 designs for that thing approved over the years but it kept getting killed for various political and logistical reasons.

Whoah ... rumors of Skinner to Pittsburgh. All sorts of limbs are being climbed upon right there.

BTW ... that's sarcasm in case somebody's just being dense today.

Last edited:
There isn't much meat in that second link BUT that will let you get to Andy Strickland's tweet if you care to read all of the comments. Those comments include Luke DeCock basically saying that last he knew Skinner hadn't been asked to waive his NMC yet (effectively calling BS on Strickland).

DeCock has been getting feisty on that subject for a couple of days. He's obviously got a strong source in the front office who is being very specific with the information. In exchange Luke is out there smacking lazy writers with facts. They don't seem to like it very much.

2002 was the height of NCSU under Amato. on 10/19/2002 they were unbeaten and faced a bad Duke team and only managed to win 24-22. Duke went 0-8 in the ACC that year, 2-10 overall. Carl Franks was the Duke coach and he won 3 ACC games in 4.5 seasons. (and all 3 wins were in his 1st year) One of the all time worst ACC coaching records, 3-29. I did not recall there was FB and the Canes on the same day as the fair. The Canes were basking in the glow of the 2002 finals so ticket sales were up and that's probably why they tried a fair week game.

The Blues beat writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch tweeted that Carter Hutton will be meeting with the Canes. Also the Blackhawks, Bruins, Islanders, Red Wings and Slugs. He wants to go somewhere where he can be a starter.

The Blues beat writer for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch tweeted that Carter Hutton will be meeting with the Canes. Also the Blackhawks, Bruins, Islanders, Red Wings and Slugs. He wants to go somewhere where he can be a starter.
He put together a nice run of starts late last season, I like him. As far as the opportunity, its wiide open.

this week for the camp:

Wednesday, June 27
5:30 p.m.: Team practice (open to the public)
Thursday, June 28
9:45 a.m.: Skills sessions (open to the public)
5:30 p.m.: Team practice (open to the public)
Friday, June 29
10 a.m.: Practice (open to the public)
Saturday, June 30
12:00 p.m.: Canes prospect scrimmage (Summerfest Celebration begins at 10:00 a.m.)

Also it looks like the state is going to allow beer sales for NCSU BB games and FB games. I guess the BB beer sales money goes to the Canes? Or at least some of it .

Well, the four teams he has the greatest chance of starting for are the Canes, Slugs, Wings and Islanders...

Beyond wishful thinking, I think Darling is doing everything right this off season and he may very well rebound and come out of the gate in good stead.

Hutton is 32 so that makes sense. And it makes him a good fit for any club looking for a short-ish term solution in net. I'd love to know what the Canes really think about Goalie Ned's prospects to take over as starter down the road, because I think Hutton's maturity and status as "best available non-starter in the NHL" is likely to trigger a low key bidding war for the guy. I don't like bidding wars. We never win them.

He's a low risk option for sure. He's been an emergency starter three times in his NHL career and handled himself at least competently on all three occasions.

Back