• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
I thought I'd start a new thread just for Canes stuff, to keep it separate from the other Miscellaneous thread.

Lines at practice:

Teravainen/Rask/Williams
Skinner/Ryan/Kuokkanen
Aho/Staal/Lindholm
Nordstrom/Kruger/McGinn.

They spent some time on the 6 on 5 on offense with Faulk and Teravainen at the points, Lindholm, Staal, Skinner, Aho down low. Darling will get the start tomorrow night. Kuokkanen is still in the lineup, Necas is not, he defended in the 6 on 5. TVR was not at practice and will probably miss tomorrow's game with a lower body concern, so Dahlbeck slides onto the 3rd pair. TVR missed a couple of shifts on Saturday night but came back to play. Michael Smith says that Stempiak is still 1-2 weeks away.

I checked HC Kometa Brno's schedule and the kid is missing a boatload of games farting around in practice here. This just isn't very bright on the Canes' part.

The Rangers also have Filip Chytil, their 2017 first round pick hanging around. He is also from the Czech Republic. He has played 7:30 and 4:59 in 2 games and was a healthy scratch in game 3 (the Rangers actually chose to play 7 DMen instead). With the Rangers claiming Adam Cracknell from Dallas, they will rightly get Chytil back to the Czech pro league shortly.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...ll-sign-filip-chytil-future-article-1.3551855

Necas should be on his way back to the Czech pro league right now, its ridiculous that he isn't. Those teams play 52 regular season games a year, and Brno has already played 11. Once Kuokkanen didn't look out of place in the opener AND was going to play Tuesday, Necas should have been on the first flight back home. It makes no sense at all that he is still hanging around Raleigh, not playing any games.

Last edited:
Agreed cmaleski2.

I wonder how they got themselves in this predicament. I suspect Janne has just played so darn well that they had to keep him up here, whereas Necas too has shown it, he's not really getting the chance. Maybe the idea is to allow him some time to bond with the group, for his eventual return

Hmm. So short Czech league. Say his team is eliminated. Can he come over and play in the NHL for the rest of our season or playoffs? Maybe that's the idea. Continue the bonding that is going on right now and then reconnect the lad end of season/playoffs.

Once Necas returns to Brno, the only thing that prevents him from coming back to play in the NHL is Brno letting him leave. The Czech pro league regular season ends in early March. Brno is a definite playoff team (last years' champs) so should Necas return to Brno, he will probably be playing there until mid-April. At that point if the Canes are in the playoffs, he could join up and at least travel with the Canes. He could also go to Charlotte and help their playoff situation (if they need any help).

Necas COULD come back to the Canes at any time...the CHL agreements don't apply to Necas as a European player...as long as Brno allows him to leave. I don't envision any situation where Necas would be recalled before Brno's season is over. We have so many other options in Charlotte it would be ridiculous to bring Necas back this season as long as Brno is still playing.

I'm assuming at this point that the Canes will send Necas home before the road trip as long as no top 9 guy gets hurt tomorrow night. There is no reason to be keeping Necas around as press box injury insurance when we have Wallmark, Saarela, Zykov, Gauthier, Roy, Foegele, PDG and Patrick Brown all in Charlotte. None! I'm excited about the kid and his skills too, but please set him free so he can utilize those skills in real games this season.

Once Necas is finally home, we know the Czech Republic will want Necas to play in the 18U Worlds. I'm wondering if Necas will get any consideration for the Czech Olympic Team?

#FreeNecas!!!

Last edited:
Anybody else think the 4 game road trip is going to be ugly? Im thinking if they even manage two points, I'll be surprised.

The team practiced this morning before heading out on the State Fair roadie to Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Dallas. TVR practiced in a non-contact jersey again but finished the practice, unlike yesterday. He will not travel with the team. The coaches will decide if a dman will be recalled and if so, who and maybe when. The Checkers have their home opener tonight and also play tomorrow. Unless someone dies between here and Winnipeg, they don't need a dman for tomorrow, so they could call someone up on Sunday to meet them in Edmonton. Peters also said he wants to get Necas into a game. Also Ward will play on this trip. If I had to bet, it would be Thursday in Calgary.

No callup before the plane left, so they have no extra dman for tomorrow night. While TVR didn't fly with the team, he could join them along the way if he continues to make progress.

Michael Smith tweeted that based on what he saw in practice, it looks Jooris, Carrick and #FreeNecas are all in the lineup tomorrow night.

For the Oilers, Brad Malone was recalled yesterday, so someone warn Faulk.

I'm waiting to see Peters' creativity in slotting these new guys. Come on Bill, let's see some imagination.

I'm waiting to see Peters' creativity in slotting these new guys. Come on Bill, let's see some imagination.
Come on Bill - no sense continuing to try to make a 1st line center out of Jordan... they might no get there themselves but I say throw em into the fire and hope real potential turns into real 1st or 2nd line offensive capabilities. I mean, could it be so bad? Just have Kruger and Staal take all the defensive draws, work the PK too. And everyone else on the power play. Why not? Might as well...

Aho Necas Lindholm
Skinner Rask Terravainen
McGinn Staal Ryan
Nordstrom Kruger Jooris

Come on Bill - no sense continuing to try to make a 1st line center out of Jordan... they might no get there themselves but I say throw em into the fire and hope real potential turns into real 1st or 2nd line offensive capabilities. I mean, could it be so bad? Just have Kruger and Staal take all the defensive draws, work the PK too. And everyone else on the power play. Why not? Might as well...

Aho Necas Lindholm
Skinner Rask Terravainen
McGinn Staal Ryan
Nordstrom Kruger Jooris

They didn't say who was with who, but I suspect we'll see Necas between Skinner and Kuokkanen. They played together in the pre-season.

Also TVR is winging his way west. No word on whether he can play tomorrow. But if he can, Carrick probably displaces Fleury on the 3rd pair. If TVR can't play, Carrick probably replaces Dahlbeck on the right side of the 3rd pair with Fleury on the left side.

Michael Smith tweeted that based on what he saw in practice, it looks Jooris, Carrick and #FreeNecas are all in the lineup tomorrow night.

For the Oilers, Brad Malone was recalled yesterday, so someone warn Faulk.
After the last two games he’d be a fool not to shake things up on the forward lines. And Fluery could use a night off. He’s a bit overwhelmed right now.

Aho Necas Lindholm
Skinner Rask Terravainen
McGinn Staal Ryan
Nordstrom Kruger Jooris

Justin Williams doesn't care for those lines.

Then who is sitting? Nordstrom?

I would expect Necas in for Kuokkanen and Jooris in for Nordstrom. McGinn at least is willing to run into people.

Back