Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 153

Thread: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

  1. #101
    Legend Sal_Butera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere
    Posts
    53,427
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheliosity View Post
    So, did they just send him down to get some games under his belt in North America? Or does he really slot in under Davidson, Streit ?
    IMO it’s the former, I expect he’ll be starting by end Oct latest after getting acclimatized to not only the NA game but also the new environment (city, culture etc..). Having the AHL team in Laval will become a big benefit from that perspective.


    “We haven’t reached the ultimate, of where you walk into the building and you can sort of smell victory. But we’re a step closer to that this year than we were last year.”


    “So now the pressure’s on to replicate.”
    - Geoff Molson

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    I agree, but you’re missing the point most of us are making in that this team will once again be very mediocre offensively.

    I think we’re all smart enough to know we will not average a goal a game.

    But we will have issues scoring this year unless MB finds a way to bring in better talent

    This is not a very good offensive team
    Here is a simple fact.

    Colorado, by far was the worst shooting team in the NHL last year... and was the worst in the league for several years... at 7.2%

    If Montreal was shooting what Colorado did all season last year (worst in the NHL) through 4 games, instead of what they have done.... they would have 11 goals instead of 4.

  3. #103
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    Here is a simple fact.

    Colorado, by far was the worst shooting team in the NHL last year... and was the worst in the league for several years... at 7.2%

    If Montreal was shooting what Colorado did all season last year (worst in the NHL) through 4 games, instead of what they have done.... they would have 11 goals instead of 4.
    So where do you rank Montreals offense?

    Top ten, 10-20, 20-31?
    Go Habs Go!

  4. #104
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    I thought lundqvist crawford and holtby all had great games.
    They all do against us.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    So where do you rank Montreals offense?

    Top ten, 10-20, 20-31?
    Same as last year. Middle of the pack.

    Great wing depth. Drouin is fine at centre, rest of it is weak there.

    But again, offence is mostly created by getting quantity of scoring opportunities and high danger chances. They are doing that.

  6. #106
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    That’s my point, I see players like Danault, Plekanec, petry etc... who don’t exactly take quality shots.

    And that’s been my point for a while, we dont have very good shooters/finishers
    I disagree, I think we have guys that can put the puck in the net, it's playmakers, and good puck movement in general that we're missing. The Hawks had 2 goals in empty after some great passing plays, that's the plays that we're lacking. Goalies nowadays can stop about 98% of the shots they see if they don't have to move laterally. Max, Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw, Weber, have all the ability to put pucks in the net. Drouin is about the only guy on the team who can make clever passes. Last year we only had Radulov and Markov.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    They all do against us.
    Habs shooting percentage at the end of each year for the last five years..... 15th (tied), 21st, 8th, 16th, 11th,

    Opposing goalies against habs vary from year to year, but mostly its middle of the pack .

    We just remember the great games against us more, because its our team and its frustrating, and we all watch 70+ habs games a year while being emotionally invested.

    A great goalie performance when we watch two teams we are neutral towards, just isn't that memorable a few weeks and months later. We don't see the trends as we do in Montreal.

    Fact: goaltending has never been as good league wide as it is right now.
    Fact: every team runs into hot goalies, statistically the Habs are average in this happening to them.
    Fact: scoring more goals and generating more offence, is about quantity of good chances, not quality.

  8. #108
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    Habs shooting percentage at the end of each year for the last five years..... 15th (tied), 21st, 8th, 16th, 11th,

    Opposing goalies against habs vary from year to year, but mostly its middle of the pack .

    We just remember the great games against us more, because its our team and its frustrating, and we all watch 70+ habs games a year while being emotionally invested.

    A great goalie performance when we watch two teams we are neutral towards, just isn't that memorable a few weeks and months later. We don't see the trends as we do in Montreal.

    Fact: goaltending has never been as good league wide as it is right now.
    Fact: every team runs into hot goalies, statistically the Habs are average in this happening to them.
    Fact: scoring more goals and generating more offence, is about quantity of good chances, not quality.
    I agree with you, we tend to over-amplify things, but we simply seem unable to overcome a goalie having a good game, even worse if it's a good goalie.

  9. #109
    ADMINuteman Habspatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lookin for a place to happen
    Posts
    78,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    I agree with you, we tend to over-amplify things, but we simply seem unable to overcome a goalie having a good game, even worse if it's a good goalie.
    Meh, that's going to happen. It just happens to be that its happened 4 straight games. If the Habs keep getting the scoring chances they've been getting, they will start scoring in bunches.
    ForumICE Rule Book
    Thank you to Habs4Life for the avatar

  10. #110
    1st Liner Alan C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    I think if it comes down to the law of averages, average is the best this team will be in it's current form. Personally I expect us to be lower tier in scoring, and unless Price stands on his head, a 7-8 playoff seed in best case scenario.
    Last edited by Alan C; 10-12-2017 at 07:12 PM.

  11. #111
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Again Ray Ferraro this afternoon alluded to very basic point.

    Scoring chances and shots mean shit of you cant finish.

    He went through his career knowing players that couldnt hit water if they were standing in a boat despite the fact they had scoring chance after scoring chance.

    Finishing is a skill set in its own.

    We shouldn’t be discussing scoring chances etc...do we have enough finishers?
    Go Habs Go!

  12. #112
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Again Ray Ferraro this afternoon alluded to very basic point.

    Scoring chances and shots mean shit of you cant finish.

    He went through his career knowing players that couldnt hit water if they were standing in a boat despite the fact they had scoring chance after scoring chance.

    Finishing is a skill set in its own.

    We shouldn’t be discussing scoring chances etc...do we have enough finishers?
    2 30 goal scorers, 4 20 goal scorers, 3 15+ scorers, it could be better but it's not like we have nobody that can score.

  13. #113
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    2 30 goal scorers, 4 20 goal scorers, 3 15+ scorers, it could be better but it's not like we have nobody that can score.
    Actually that’s pretty amazing if it happens

    I got Max at 30, Drouin at 20-25, Lehkonen at 15-20, Galchenyuk 20-25, Gallagher 15-20, Hudon 10-15, Shaw 10-15, Danault 10-15, plekanec 10-12

    This is a good scenario in my opinion
    Go Habs Go!

  14. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by Habspatrol View Post
    Meh, that's going to happen. It just happens to be that its happened 4 straight games. If the Habs keep getting the scoring chances they've been getting, they will start scoring in bunches.
    Realistically team should be 3-1. I'm guessing the Washington game was a loss regardless and the corsi from that game is widely effected by score effects. That said we outplayed both the Rangers and Blackhawks throughout both games, and at times where there were no score effects.

  15. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Again Ray Ferraro this afternoon alluded to very basic point.

    Scoring chances and shots mean shit of you cant finish.

    He went through his career knowing players that couldnt hit water if they were standing in a boat despite the fact they had scoring chance after scoring chance.

    Finishing is a skill set in its own.

    We shouldn’t be discussing scoring chances etc...do we have enough finishers?
    And this team has Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin, Brendan Gallagher, Shea Weber, Tomas Plekanec, Arturri Lehkonen, Paul Byron, Ales Hemsky, all players who have shown the ability to finish at the NHL level in the past.

    Again we are shooting at a little more than 1/3 of the rate the worst recorded team in the NHL has shot at over 82 games.

    Ferraro can make that explanation, but it ignores those facts.

  16. #116
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    40,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    And this team has Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin, Brendan Gallagher, Shea Weber, Tomas Plekanec, Arturri Lehkonen, Paul Byron, Ales Hemsky, all players who have shown the ability to finish at the NHL level in the past.

    Again we are shooting at a little more than 1/3 of the rate the worst recorded team in the NHL has shot at over 82 games.

    Ferraro can make that explanation, but it ignores those facts.
    That past is long gone for some. So why even bring them up?
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  17. #117
    Legend GrandWazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    41,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by DonKay View Post
    Actually that’s pretty amazing if it happens

    I got Max at 30, Drouin at 20-25, Lehkonen at 15-20, Galchenyuk 20-25, Gallagher 15-20, Hudon 10-15, Shaw 10-15, Danault 10-15, plekanec 10-12

    This is a good scenario in my opinion
    Yeah I'm not expecting everyone to achieve the levels that they have reached before and still have the ability to reach, I was mostly pointing out that the skill is there.

    Max and Chuck have scored 30 goals before. Drouin, Gallagher, Byron and Weber have scored 20+ in the past and could do it again be realistically won't (except Drouin). Lehkonen, Shaw, Hudon, Danault and even Plekanec should be able to net around 15 each, if not more for someone like Lehkonen.

  18. #118
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    143,930
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    I just hate Bergevin as a GM and want him gone so nothing is right about this team. Nothing I tell ya
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  19. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    39,641
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    That past is long gone for some. So why even bring them up?
    Their shooting skill hasnt diminished.

    They get less shots than they used to... but when they get shots they score at the same rates. Other skills diminish but not shot quality.

    The fact their game is diminished is seen in less shots overall.

    However the point was refuting that when we have 40 shots as a team its low skill guys taking the shots... and thats not true. All those players bave shown they can finish over the years.

  20. #120
    Canadiens Moderator DonKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Good The Bad & The Ugly: Game #4: Blackhawks @ Canadiens

    Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    And this team has Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk, Jonathan Drouin, Brendan Gallagher, Shea Weber, Tomas Plekanec, Arturri Lehkonen, Paul Byron, Ales Hemsky, all players who have shown the ability to finish at the NHL level in the past.

    Again we are shooting at a little more than 1/3 of the rate the worst recorded team in the NHL has shot at over 82 games.

    Ferraro can make that explanation, but it ignores those facts.
    Common man...you're trying to convince me we have enough skill and ability by bringing Thomas Plekanec, Ales Hemsky, and Paul Byron into the conversation.

    plekanec and Hemsky are finished....Paul Byron had a career year he will likely not repeat.

    Brendan Gallagher has completely lost the ability to shoot the puck like he used to after two serious hand injuries

    We’re ptetty much leaning once again on Max along with Drouin now for primary scoring and hoping AG gets out of his slump.

    Fingers crossed Lehkonen takes another step
    Go Habs Go!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •