• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Game 5/82 GDT: Leafs @ Habs (best rivalry in hockey), 7pm CBC

Jeremy

It's the day before, but it's the first regular season game of the year against the Habs and I think we all want to move on from our last game.

Looks like Borgman and Fehr are in. Carrick back from injury.

We're striving to break a streak of 14 straight losses against the Habs.

Go Leafs Go!

Last edited:
Not to be a buzzkill here, but the Bruins are the Habs main rival.

Anyways, 7-1 Leafs for this one.
I have a feeling that the Habs/Leafs rivalry is going to be reinvigorated in the coming years. Unless the whole thing flip flops and we are bad for the next decade. Which is possible with the way MB is running the show.

I have a feeling that the Habs/Leafs rivalry is going to be reinvigorated in the coming years. Unless the whole thing flip flops and we are bad for the next decade. Which is possible with the way MB is running the show.

I think the latter. The Habs are gonna suck while the Leafs will be good. Keeping the rivalry boring. They both have to be good at some point. Not sure that's gonna happen under current team structures.

I'm 36 years old and the Leafs have never been super relevant for me as a Habs fan. Bruins on the other hand......

Leafs have been reviewing video of all their penalties and expect to be more disciplined for this game. Focusing on improving their defensive game as well.

It's okay boys, the Leafs are going to be good for a long time. You can suck for a good 5 years and still have yourselves a nice rivalry later.

Need good rebound game after forgeable game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, we never seem to be good at the same time.

Habs are going into the toilet now just as we're taking off.

Will be nice to do some serious shit-kicking for the next several years.

Nah. The Sabres will never reach that echelon. Matthews is better than Eichel, and all our secondary guys are better than theirs. In which category do they beat us?

If anything, Price and the Habs present more of a challenge for so long as he can save them.

I like the Sabres down the middle. Eichel's a legit #1 center. Ryan O'Rielly & Sam Reinhart are comparable to Kadri and Bozak. On D, Ristolainen, is a good offensive producer, but he's a nightmare on the other side of the puck. And Lehner's been good in goal, when healthy.

Besides those players, I don't really love anything about their team.

They've had a bad start to the season too. 0-3-1 and outscored 18-9.

I'd take Matthews over Eichel, but it does seem that a lot of Leaf fans are really underrating Eichel. Not all... but a lot. Eichel is really, really good. I'm not so sure there's going to be a huge difference between these guys. That's not a knock on Matthews.

They have some other really nice pieces too. Ristolainen looks like a stud. They'll be quite good.

I'd take Matthews over Eichel, but it does seem that a lot of Leaf fans are really underrating Eichel. Not all... but a lot. Eichel is really, really good. I'm not so sure there's going to be a huge difference between these guys. That's not a knock on Matthews.

They have some other really nice pieces too. Ristolainen looks like a stud. They'll be quite good.
I agree that Eichel is very good, and I think he has what it takes to be a consistent PPG, #1 center.

But I think Matthews is a step beyond that (and on the flipside, that's no knock on Eichel either).

And that's based both on having watched Matthews play about 90 NHL games, and on the fact that Matthews was better than Eichel (often significantly) at every step of the way through their development in the US Hockey system.

I'd take Matthews over Eichel, but it does seem that a lot of Leaf fans are really underrating Eichel. Not all... but a lot. Eichel is really, really good. I'm not so sure there's going to be a huge difference between these guys.

I think there is already, and time will make it more apparent. Eichel doesn't have a defensive game to speak of. You don't see him in the corners and along the walls constantly working to strip pucks and create turnovers like Matthews does every night.

Matthews has been significantly better than Eichel at the same age, and they followed the same development path. Better at the USNDP, Better at the WC, better at the U18/U20, better rookie year.

There is more evidence that supports a difference between them, than the opposite.

And that is just purely offensive production, and completely ignoring Matthews complete game.

IMO its like saying there isn't a huge difference between McDavid and Marner. Sure, Marner is also an elite talent, but there is a big difference.

I always thought Marner was a better comp for eichel than matthews.

both crowd pleasers but high risk players with defensive issues. and i's even say eichel should also be a winger.

Nah. The Sabres will never reach that echelon. Matthews is better than Eichel, and all our secondary guys are better than theirs. In which category do they beat us?

If anything, Price and the Habs present more of a challenge for so long as he can save them.

Beat us? I'm talking about rivalry...I guess you've never been to a game in Buffalo...and the Sabres will be good.

Sabres team does not look very talented at all. They've had lousy lottery luck and bad management. Not sure that rebuild is going to take.

They're making goalie mistakes...sound familiar?
Eichel is damn good, I'll bet they manage to put pieces around him and they become a thorn in our paw.

...that does mean we're the lion of course. We'll see.

Eichel is damn good, but Matthews is on a whole nother level.

I figure Leafs fans are going to be even more hated once the "geez, is McDavid really that much better?", talk heats up. Yeah, McD is fast, but I've seem Matthews do things with the puck I don''t see anybody in the league doing.

So there.

Back