• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Jets 10/14 7:00

Jordan Staal ... starting that January 23rd.
There’s his problem in a nutshell. Jordan never seems to start playing until December or January and then he rolls just long enough to fool the world into thinking he can score at some stupid level. And then October rolls around and he takes another two months to remember how to play.

I was waiting for his annual slow start mention

Yeah, I hate to beat a dead horse, but that horse is dead for a reason. Like his brother before him, Staal just never comes to opening night ready to go.

I’m as sick of watching it as I am of mentioning it.

For this team, Staal is a key component. He plays a hard, physical game. I am one to cut him a bit of slack-- he logs lots of ice time, plays a true 200 foot game, a key PK player, takes face offs at key times, and is one of our more physical players-- on offense and defense. He does not have a supporting cast in those regards. I am reminded of what Bill McKenzie once observed-- when you only have only one player of that ilk, you wear them down and they can sometimes go MIA. The body can only take so much wear and tear each game. I get it's early in the season, but I tend to keep that thought in the back of my head when Staal is playing an average game rather than a Jordan Staal game.

Back