• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Game #6 | Canadiens vs. Sharks | Oct. 17, 2017

What you don't seem to understand when you continuously repeat this is that this whole plan of a rebuild has to be endorsed by the owner.

He makes that call since it could potentially impact ticket sales, sponsorship, advertising etc...

I understand it, but I won't stop advocating for it.

I told you this a number of times. You don't need to constantly respond this way. I understand the situation.

FYI -- Sponsorship and advertising won't be impacted by a rebuild and ticket sales are going to impacted by this direction anyway.

I understand it, but I won't stop advocating for it.

I told you this a number of times. You don't need to constantly respond this way. I understand the situation.

FYI -- Sponsorship and advertising won't be impacted by a rebuild and ticket sales are going to impacted by this direction anyway.
U don’t seem to understand at all. The Habs ownership consortium does not possess the deep pockets of MLSE, nor do they operate in a corporate heavy environment like Toronto, thus do not have the wherewithal to take on the “risk of rebuild” because the rebuild does not have a 95%+ confidence factor.

Not all rebuilds are guarantees especially with the draft lottery structure of today vs as recently as he Matthews draft. In other words for the present ownership to give the go ahead with a rebuild they would need a guarantee McDavid or Matthews can be had and a return to glory within 2-3 seasons, which cannot be guaranteed

If Mark Cuban or Pegula outright owned the team in the MTL market, rebuild could be a viable option

Last edited:
U don’t seem to understand at all. The Habs ownership consortium does not possess the deep pockets of MLSE, nor do they operate in a corporate heavy environment like Toronto, thus do not have the wherewithal to take on the “risk of rebuild” because the rebuild does not have a 95%+ confidence factor.

Not all rebuilds are guarantees especially with the draft lottery structure of today vs as recently as he Matthews draft. In other words for the present ownership to give the go ahead with a rebuild they would need a guarantee McDavid or Matthews can be had and a return to glory within 2-3 seasons, which cannot be guaranteed

If Mark Cuban or Pegula outright owned the team in the MTL market, rebuild could be a viable option

Again, I completely get it. I will still advocate for it. Many others will too...

No need to waste your time by writing an essay response like this.

The rebuild will be forced upon them whether they like it or not.

One can only patch up the good ship canadiens so many times before it begins to take on water despite their best efforts.

The rebuild will be forced upon them whether they like it or not.

One can only patch up the good ship canadiens so many times before it begins to take on water despite their best efforts.
Habs fans are myopic. Leafs missed playoffs 8-times in 9-years, Habs are not even remotely close to that level of futility anytime in the near future.

IBMs goal is to nudge their dividend payouts by 1/10 of a % point every couple of quarters to keep their investors satisfied not to be the next Google or Apple.

Habs fans are myopic. Leafs missed playoffs 8-times in 9-years, Habs are not even remotely close to that level of futility anytime in the near future.

IBMs goal is to nudge their dividend payouts by 1/10 of a % point every couple of quarters to keep their investors satisfied not to be the next Google or Apple.

The habs aren't that bad, you're right.

The point everyone else is trying to get across is that we shouldn't wait until the habs reach the leafs level of futility before realizing that a rebuild needs to be done.

No shit, but why they hell would you want to wait that long? Just get it done now.

No shit, but why they hell would you want to wait that long? Just get it done now.
For a non well heeled ownership consortium winning is a nicety, profit$ are a constant must.

For the record I agree with the sentiment being proposed as a fan, but having worked putting some of these deals together for team consortiums...let’s just say business is business. Very few of these deals have anything to do with the actual team or sport, pro-sports ownership of today is about mechanisms to money launder / shell game if u will.

Last edited:

exactly, they haven't won a playoff series in Toronto since 2004.

No way Montreal puts up with going five years without a series victory let alone 13 years

For a non well heeled ownership consortium winning is a nicety, profit$ are a constant must.

For the record I agree with the sentiment being proposed as a fan, but having worked putting some of these deals together for team consortiums...let’s just say business is business. Very few of these deals have anything to do with the actual team or sport, pro-sports ownership of today is about mechanisms to money launder / shell game if u will.

Say the word "consortium" more...

Who made any comment re relocation other than you?

It is also easy for you to say gut the team when you don't pay for tickets nor go to any games.

Who made any comment re relocation other than you?

It is also easy for you to say gut the team when you don't pay for tickets nor go to any games.

This is exactly the attitude that is holding this team back. You can go to games regardless of them being good or bad. The goal is to get good and win, not spin the wheels to pander to older fans that are worried death will come before the rebuild ends.

Are you seriously happy with this product?

Yup. Getting rid of MB is not going to change anything for years, possibly. I look at the local team here, the Flyers, and see all of these good young players that they drafted and developed now in their lineup and I'm wondering, WTF have we been doing the last 5 years? It's quite pathetic, really.
The argument here is that nothing is going to change for years with MB. He's awful.

Getting rid of MB at least can shift the direction to a rebuild. I don't care about sucking for 2-3 years. I understand that older posters don't want that to happen, but it has to.

Weber, Pacioretty, Petry, Shaw, Pleks and Gallagher should all be shopped. But they won't be with MB in charge.

If I was the new GM i'd hang onto to Galchenyuk - he has no value right now.
I think most posters want that to happen actually. I know I do. I'm willing to see a 20 win season to make that happen. Just don't let Bergevin do it.

Back