• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flames 10/19 9:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Alberta portion of the State Fair roadie concludes in Calgary.

The Canes made a few lineup tweaks against the Oilers and came away with a 5-3 win, built largely on a 3-0 1st period that saw Teravainen score a pair within the first 5 minutes and he and Lindholm score on the PP in the first. Staal added a shortie and Slavin scored in the 3rd. Cam Ward saw his first action and made 48 saves. Peters was happy with the start of the game; the rest of the game, not so much. Martin Necas and Josh Jooris made their season debuts, Necas only played 6:54. Trevor Carrick was recalled from Charlotte but only played 7:32. He was sent back to Charlotte yesterday. We'll see the lineup at the morning skate in a few hours.

The Flames have been waiting for us since they last played on Saturday, beating Vancouver 5-2. Jaromir Jagr has played 3 games, averaging 13 minutes, recording an assist. Mike Smith has started every game in goal and carries a 2.59 GAA and .929 save %. Eddie Lack has played 12 minutes in relief.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Mike Smith has the lines looking like:

Teravainen-Staal-Williams
Aho-Rask-Lindholm
Skinner-Ryan-McGinn
Nordstrom-Kruger-Kuokkanen

Slavin-Pesce
Faulk-Hanifin
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Darling
Ward

I don't like that lineup. I don't like Kuokkanen on a grinding 4th line. I don't like McGinn with Ryan and Skinner. I don't like Necas back in the press box.

#FreeNecas

And when this road trip is over #FreeKuokkanen Both of these kids need to be somewhere playing every game. I understand that Stempniak's top 9 spot needs to be filled and we are on the road a long way from home, but when the Canes are back home its time to stop this nonsense. Get these teenagers where they should be, which is not in the press box or on our 4th line.

Agree. This would be better IMO.

Aho-Rask-Lindholm
Skinner-Necas-Kuokkanen
Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn

This is one I am anxious to see-- should be a good matchup to really see where this team stands. Calgary has been playing solid in all areas and they're getting balanced scoring from their forwards. First real chance to see Tkachuk in action and how Jagr will look. Hoping the Flames will underestimate the Canes, which is always a nice perk to being a Hurricane. I'm also hoping the Hurricanes will be tenancious int heir puck possession and not have as many defensive breakdowns as they did against EDM.

Mike Smith has the lines looking like:

Aho-Rask-Lindholm
Skinner-Ryan-McGinn
Nordstrom-Kruger-Kuokkanen

Slavin-Pesce
Faulk-Hanifin
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Darling
Ward

I don't like that lineup. I don't like Kuokkanen on a grinding 4th line. I don't like McGinn with Ryan and Skinner. I don't like Necas back in the press box.

#FreeNecas

And when this road trip is over #FreeKuokkanen Both of these kids need to be somewhere playing every game. I understand that Stempniak's top 9 spot needs to be filled and we are on the road a long way from home, but when the Canes are back home its time to stop this nonsense. Get these teenagers where they should be, which is not in the press box or on our 4th line.

+1

TVR was activated from IR and will play tonight.

Agree on Kuokkanen. If he's not in the top 9, he belongs in Charlotte.

TSN pre-game indicates the Flames have been in the box a lot and want to work on their discipline. If not, lets hope our PP is ready. Jagr draws in on the first line with Johnny "Hockey" and Sean Monohan.
Bloody hell Jagr's a Canes killer

Michael Smith said he had the 4th line wrong. Jooris is at wing, Kuokkanen is sitting again.

Justin Williams 2.0 gets a PP goal at 1:09 of the 3rd, 2-0 good guys. Skinner had the first on a bullet from the circle.

Indeed. Stayed up to catch this one, Canes looked very well oiled and tight as a whole forechecking unit. That 4th line and the entire lineup played a much more sound NHL game than what we've seen so far. McGinn actually created some space for Ryan and Skinner on that line and the 4th line dominated posession and created many turnovers. Kruger was very good as was that whole line with Nordstrom and Jooris also putting in excellent efforts.
I found the big guns on the first two lines mostly silent. Darling was outstanding. He is a wall between the pipes. I'll take the win, great defensive gem all in all. On to Dallas.
Honestly, at this point I would prefer to go with that line-up and send both Necas and Kuakkanen back to where they once belonged for more seasoning. Charlotte has a log jam of forwards so its not so easy...

Skinner technically may have had some helpers on his goal, but wow just wow was that an unbelievable single handed play. From his skating and hands and power in that slap shot and the top shelf location wow what a play (do I sound like Trip?).

The game overall was a real team effort. No passengers on that bench. Everyone was skating and competing and covering for one another. Best total effort I can remember. The Flames fans must have been stunned.

Now, they have to prove this was not a one-off by doing the same thing in Dallas and then not lay a first-game-back stinker on Tuesday against the Lightning.

Yeah. I wouldn’t chalk 100% of that loss up to Calgary’s lack of discipline but it sure as heck didn’t help. That mess at the end of the period was just childishness by Tkachuk, for sure. I’d be ticked at him too, if the shoe was on the other foot.

Carolina played a good road game I thought. They kept it simple and played solid territorial hockey. Skinner made it stick with that bomb and the setup to Williams. I liked the lineup better without any kids in the mix at forward. It seemed to take away some of the experimental feel ... in a good way.

So, carry on boys.

It's killing me watching these late games, but it's worth it when they play like they did last night. Agree with the comments above, especially regarding Skinner's shot - he must have one of the quickest and sneakiest releases in hockey - and he's damn accurate too!

Though we don't talk about them much, the 4th line has been outstanding so far this young season. I am particularly impressed with Nordstrom, who seems to be flying to the puck every time he's on the ice.

Honestly, Nordstrom played well after the All Star break last year and then carried that over to a monster performance at the Worlds. He’s been trending towards good for awhile now.

Couldn't agree more about Nordstrom. He just might be the fastest skater on the team. Every time I see this streaking blur shooting down the ice I look for the number and sure enough it's #42.

And last night Jooris was adding power and sand and his hits. Could be a keeper of a unit those 3.

Back