• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 10/24 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The Canes return from the State Fair roadie to face the red hot Lightning.

This year's version of the roadie brought 4 points from a 2-2 trip, with losses to Winnipeg and Dallas sandwiching wins against Edmonton and Calgary. The game against Dallas started poorly with the Canes falling behind 4-0 but they mounted a furious comeback to get within a goal at the end. Skinner had 4 goals on the trip, Staal had 2 goals and 3 assists and McGinn and Hanifin each had 3 assists. Darling started 3 of the 4 and had a 2.39 GAA and .904 Save %. Ward got the start in Edmonton and made 48 saves. Overall, Skinner leads with 5 goals; he has 22 goals in his last 25 games played. Williams and McGinn each have 4 assists. There were no changes to the lineup at practice yesterday. With Necas sent back to the Czech Republic, there is only 1 healthy extra at forward and Kuokkanen and McGinn alternated on the line with Skinner and Ryan. We'll see what the lineup looks like at the morning skate.

The Lightning come in with a 7-1-1 record and 15 points. Steven Stamkos has returned from the knee injury that cost him most of last season and he leads the league in assists, with 15, points with 18. Nikita Kucherov is tied for the league lead in goals with 10. Andrei Vasilevskiy has started all but 1 game and carries a 2.38 GAA and .933 Save %.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

Tampa with 15 games played to our 6 games. We have some catching up to do.

And somehow Tampa is first in the Atlantic batting 0.500 with a 7-7-1 record.

So our 3-2-1 record is a faster point production pace than theirs for points per game, although the low raw number has us currently at 7 in the Metro.

Well I've been itching to see the Canes in person again....hopefully they figure out a way to slow down the Bolts and score some goals.

Calling Aho and Lindholm and Rask and Williams and Ryan and Faulk.....SOS we need more goals from you (SOME goals for Aho and Faulk). Its still early, but I'm also waiting to see that .920 Sv% goalie that we are counting on so badly. He's dug himself a deep hole already in a quest for at least .915....

24th in the NHL in Goals per game (2.67) 26th in the NHL in shooting% (7.9%) .898 Sv% by our #1 (.910 overall because of Cam's 1 game vs. Edmonton). This is a hauntingly familiar story that needs to be changed soon because none of that is going to get it done over the next 4 (Tampa, @Toronto, St. Louis and Anaheim). Those teams are 23-8-3 so far this season. Tampa, Toronto and St. Louis are right now 3 of the top 4 teams in the league in the overall standings.

Yes 7 points in 6 games (with 4 of them on the road) isn't too bad, but we are going to be hard pressed to win games this week if Darling isn't better and our offense doesn't generate more goals. So which game does Cam play? @Toronto with their high flying offense Thursday night or Friday vs. St. Louis? My vote is for the St. Louis game. And Darling better watch out. I'm sure he isn't happy with his numbers, but if Darling has a rough go tonight and in the back to back game he starts and Cam plays well again, that Sunday game vs. Anaheim might go to Cam....

Last edited:
Tampa with 15 games played to our 6 games. We have some catching up to do.

And somehow Tampa is first in the Atlantic batting 0.500 with a 7-7-1 record.

So our 3-2-1 record is a faster point production pace than theirs for points per game, although the low raw number has us currently at 7 in the Metro.

I think you misread the post. Tampa has played 9 games and has 15 points with 7 wins and a tie.

Looks like Kuokkanen is sitting again tonight. Michael Smith tweeted the lines.

Aho-Staal-Lindholm
McGinn-Rask-Teravainen
Skinner-Ryan-Williams
Nordstrom-Kruger-Jooris

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Kuokkanen is sitting again tonight.

That is fine, he isn't missing anything but practice in Charlotte at the moment. Its not fine if he is watching from the press box in Toronto.

I think this game is going to be a true measure of where we are as a team. Tampa is leading the Atlantic and three of their players are league leaders-- Stamkos with the most points, Kucherov with the most goals and Vasilevsky with the most wins. They've picked up points in almost every game. I'm nervous going into this game and certainly don't want to see the team that showed up for the first two periods in Dallas. Skinner has five (5) goals in six (6) games and is on fire, but he can't be the only one carrying the load. Need to see some of these other guys step up and provide some scoring as well (Aho, Teravainen, Ryan, Williams). While Darling has been competent, the Canes need a "stand on his head" type of game. Also expect to see Faulk and/or Hanafin to help with some scoring. Staal needs to be his old Selke self. Lots of needs for this team-- GO CANES!

Yeah, Tampa has a big boy offense and this is a good test for the Canes. Honestly, we’re not in their class so any kind of result tonight should be applauded. Scraping a point is fine. Style points don’t really matter.

For the Bolts:
Rookie Mikhail Sergachev has played in all nine games for the Tampa Bay Lightning this season. If he's in the lineup again Tuesday against the Carolina Hurricanes, he will burn the first year off of his entry-level contract and cement his status as a regular for the Lightning.

Rookie Mikhail Sergachev has played in all nine games for the Tampa Bay Lightning this season.

He's a keeper, that is not a hard decision for the Bolts. That was an epically stupid trade by Marc Bergevin and the Habs. Drouin isn't what they needed, Sergachev was.

In Peters tenure as Canes coach, has pulling the goalie EVER had a positive result for the Canes? Im struggling to think of one occasion....ever.

Sure as heck read that 7-1-1 as 7-7-1...due to one of the many perma scars on this old iPad screen, no doubt.

Wondered how they had managed to play so many games.

In a hurry and never looked back until getting home from a meeting (just in time for Slavin's goal!).

Final score was about what I expected...but weird way to get there.

Back