• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 10/24 7:00

Saw Rask’s picture on a milk carton. Dude is MIA.
And the bolts are built to win it all. Damn skilled and friggin huge!

We have 2 open roster spots at the moment if we send Kuokkanan to Charlotte. Lucas Wallmark is leading the AHL in points, Zykov has 5 goals in 7 games. Its a shame the Canes are so hung up on Derek Ryan being a top 9 guy. If the offense keeps struggling they would be wise to try to shake things up before we bury ourselves in Oct/Nov yet again.

We have 2 open roster spots at the moment if we send Kuokkanan to Charlotte. Lucas Wallmark is leading the AHL in points, Zykov has 5 goals in 7 games. Its a shame the Canes are so hung up on Derek Ryan being a top 9 guy. If the offense keeps struggling they would be wise to try to shake things up before we bury ourselves in Oct/Nov yet again.

That's the part that really gets maddening, the Necas and Kuokkanan experiments were supposed to be a new look at generating some offense...Necas gets 6 minutes of ice time in one game and then gets sent back home, Janne has now sat more than he has played. So you have a fourth line Peters loves for energy and defense, but you still have the same stiffs for the most part that cannot score more than 2 goals a game in your top 9. This team craves some new offensive production from somewhere, that first period last night they had 2 or 3 power plays and controlled the play and still managed to trail 1-0...

:banghead:

After watching this team struggle to score again last night, I would immediately do all of the following:

1) Send Kuokkanen to Charlotte

2) Call up Zykov and Wallmark

Play the next 2 games with the forward lines as:

Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Skinner-Wallmark-Williams
Teravainen-Rask-Zykov
Nordstrom-Kruger-McGinn/Jooris/Ryan

If you want Rask to take a break that is fine too. There are many options to do that.

There is no reason to continue to screw around with Derek Ryan in the top 9. He's a useful plugger but he really brings nothing that makes any of his linemates better. We have some depth in the AHL. Before Ryan goes 20 games with just a couple of points, try something else please!

Last edited:
That's the part that really gets maddening, the Necas and Kuokkanan experiments were supposed to be a new look at generating some offense...Necas gets 6 minutes of ice time in one game and then gets sent back home, Janne has now sat more than he has played. So you have a fourth line Peters loves for energy and defense, but you still have the same stiffs for the most part that cannot score more than 2 goals a game in your top 9. This team craves some new offensive production from somewhere, that first period last night they had 2 or 3 power plays and controlled the play and still managed to trail 1-0...

:banghead:

The PP was crap until the last one, really.

The 2nd period was as bad as I've seen them play in a long time. They couldn't do anything right. Bad passes, bad entries, bad coverage, you name it. And we're getting killed in the faceoff circle, the new rules have really hampered them. Of course, they were taught by the master cheater, Brind'Amour, so maybe they're slower to adapt.

There is no reason to continue to screw around with Derek Ryan in the top 9. He's a useful plugger but he really brings nothing that makes any of his linemates better. We have some depth in the AHL. Before Ryan goes 20 games with just a couple of points, try something else please!

Which is why I didn't understand why they signed Jooris and Kruger after giving Ryan the big contract. Those signings, Kruger's especially, almost guaranteed that Ryan would be 3C. He's a perfectly adequate 4C and a guy who can move up in a pinch. But not a permanent spot in the top 9.

Well, here we are. This complete loss of anything like form early in the season under Bill Peters has become an annual tradition. Part of it is the roster, clearly. But this is deeper than just the personnel. Every single year under Peters this team just completely loses all semblance of ability to play hockey together only to find it again once they get desperate enough.

Speaking of enough ... I think I might have had it with this coaching staff.

Well, here we are. This complete loss of anything like form early in the season under Bill Peters has become an annual tradition. Part of it is the roster, clearly. But this is deeper than just the personnel. Every single year under Peters this team just completely loses all semblance of ability to play hockey together only to find it again once they get desperate enough.

Speaking of enough ... I think I might have had it with this coaching staff.

Let's not forget to mention that awesome coaching decision to pull Darling with almost 3 minutes left in a one goal game! Play It Safe Bill loves the fourth line though!!! Listening to Tripp wax on poetically all night about how much Peters loves his fourth line was enough to make me puke.

Peters might be a great "possession type" coach that the analytics guys love but possession means nothing if you simply have no clue how to score goals enough to win hockey games.

The first goal was very leaky and under the arm of our goalie. The second one, what the hell was that spin move, was an awful looking goal so I'm not so sure about this long contract with Darling.
It turned into a game of everybody just trying to make individual plays instead of working as a team.

Just like last year these guys sit back and watch to learn how the other team plays and then try to react instead of just going out and playing their game. What a mess.

Well to be fair TVR had just laid him out and he was in a bad position as he got up. I blame TVR more then the goalie you CANNOT take out your own goalie like that and not expect it to end up as a goal against.

My take is that the team needs to make a move within the next two weeks (i.e. start shopping NOW) if the offense doesn't miraculously turn around.
- I like Rask, but he doesn't bring enough to play center on the first two lines and isn't enough of a physical presense to be on the third. Consider trading him for an upgrade?
- I like Bill Peters, not sure if this is a lot to do with his coaching et staff, but something's gotta give. If its Bill - then lets go. Say no to MO 3.0 tho.
- Like others, although not directly detrimental to the squad I question the wisdom of stock piling all these efficient hard working grinders that normally shouldn't sniff anywhere outside of the 4th line. Ryan, could work that spot with the right linemates, otherwise, he's no dominating force down the middle, that's for sure. No better than Rask, not as big. So that's 0 for 2 down the middle. Jordan Staal? Well he'll show up next game or the one after that with a 2-3 point performance only to dissappear again for another few games stretch (offensively, god knows we don't want to shake the tree of of expensive and big defensive stalwart center)
- there have been a spate of injuries already(in the NHL) and I hope upon hope Francis is working the phones. With the glut of prospects and 'really f'n good' 4th liners in this organization... lets make a pitch for Duchene. I don't care about the 2 year factor. I would trade him straight up for Rask. He may fit in real nice and want to re-sign

Couldn't bring myself to go online last night, after returning from watching this debacle at the PNC. That 2nd period was awful and painful to watch. I think it was a total team effort of mediocrity - except for a couple of players. Our abysmal passing brought back visions of the past few seasons where it looks like they've never even practiced together. And forget all the talk about the fringe players - our top six just aren't getting the job done. We had plenty of chances to score, but we either muffed the puck, missed the pass or were out of position. Watching Tampa Bay's execution and positioning ought to be a primer for this team.

We need two top line centres and a RW that can score. I've given up on Rask.

I'd be OK with using Rask, Teravainen, and/or Hannifin to get some scoring help. I'd even consider trading Faulk if that's what it takes. But, of course, it better be a homerun. (I wouldn't trade him straight up for Galchenyuk)

The only players I consider untradeable are Slavin/Pesce, Aho and Skinner. (Faulk would have to see a very great return)

Staal and Lindholm are 3rd line grinders and should be paid as such. Ryan and Stempniak will do here.

I, too, like our fourth line McGinn/Kruger/Nordstrom with Jorris as an ample replacement.

I'd also hold on to most of our AHLers, but Saarela, Brown and Zykov and on D, McKeown (unless we trade away Hanifin or Faulk)

Last edited:
The first goal was very leaky and under the arm of our goalie. The second one, what the hell was that spin move, was an awful looking goal so I'm not so sure about this long contract with Darling.

To be fair to Darling, he has played a total of 2 preseason games and 6 regular season games behind this defense. Pairings haven’t really been settled, TVR was out with a concussion and our offense is not scoring. I think Darling deserves more time to get used to this team and its play. Goalies take a bit of time to adjust to a new team and round into form and I am not certain a sample of six regular season games is a fair assessment of Darling or his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whoa. Darling has NOT been the/an issue at all. When we've lost its because of the team. If he's given up 2 stinky goals all season, I'm not even stirring. He is not the issue.

What I find to draw from seasons past is that we're still one of the better puck possession (sp?) teams in the NHL, night in night out - regardless of the opponent. But we have very little finish and that hasn't changed with any changes that have been made. Skinner is the one dominant guy out there. The only player with that talent, fire and determination to try to create some plays.

One more thing I disagree with his Lindholm being a grinder. Well, he is. He's actually really good on the cycle. He's got really soft hands and can make nifty passes/set ups in tight. His skillset is needed on this team. Again, the issue we have is not having any finish(i.e. scorers - outside of Skinner)

Back