• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 MLB Off Season Thread

We waived it last year, I'd waive it again this year. Mind you, last year we gave the new managers an unprotected draft, which is why I brought it up earlier to include those guys in this draft. We should try and stay as consistent as possible, really.

In any event, that ship has sailed. I still wouldn't make them unprotect anyone. Tough to punish those who draft really well when they are arguably behind everyone else already.

We should also start thinking about when we want to start the main draft (I set it for March 3 on Fantrax but that isn't anything official) and set a date for protected lists.

Edit: The rules thread has March 1 for the start of the draft/protection list/payment... should we keep those dates?

If they're drafting full teams, including reserve spots, I'd think that the new teams would unprotect players. Especially since we're allowing other teams to join the draft.

We should also start thinking about when we want to start the main draft (I set it for March 3 on Fantrax but that isn't anything official) and set a date for protected lists.

Edit: The rules thread has March 1 for the start of the draft/protection list/payment... should we keep those dates?

March 1st seems like a reasonable target.

I'm fine with drafting teams not having to protect guys.

Just wanted to double check that these guys are all already signed up to Fantrax & can use the player pool option to sort by available talent/projected points etc.

We're only two picks it, but it already seems really curious that a super obvious pick has been passed over twice......(and it may be they both simply don't want him) but I'm worried that if they're drafting by the template Hairnova posted alone...we may run the risk of people making big mistakes missing guys that were available and they didn't realize.

We did just have the consensus #2 dynasty asset in baseball passed over twice by expansion teams, afterall.

So just want to double check that everyone has been educated on the point structure, how to navigate Fantrax and look at past seasons player totals etc as a barometer of value etc.

Last edited:
I don’t see any issues with the picks so far. Would I have taken someone else? Most likely. But, I’m not going to Judge anyone for passing on a guy who struck out in almost 40% of his at bats (pun intended).

So long as they knew what they were doing......I'm all good. Just wanted to double check that they knew they were passing on Bryce Harper.

So long as everyone is using the draft room on Fantrax though that shouldn't be an issue.

Just an alarming start to the draft....made me worried they might have just been using the list in that thread & both somehow missed Harper was available.

Last edited:
I don’t see any issues with the picks so far. Would I have taken someone else? Most likely. But, I’m not going to Judge anyone for passing on a guy who struck out in almost 40% of his at bats (pun intended).

He was probably referring to Harper, but it does go to show how there's a ton of talent available, and certainly legit arguments for multiple guys.

I sent out an excel file with the lists on it too... I suppose I could've included FP and FP/G, but I shouldn't have to do all the work for them haha.

He was probably referring to Harper, but it does go to show how there's a ton of talent available, and certainly legit arguments for multiple guys.

Gotcha. I misread and thought he said the #2 Dynasty player last year, which was Judge. Either way, I'm with you. There is a ton of talent and things can go in a multitude of directions.

I sent out an excel file with the lists on it too... I suppose I could've included FP and FP/G, but I shouldn't have to do all the work for them haha.

Its not so much that you need to do more work.....as much as it's, the fact we want to be sure they know to use the tools available to them.

If they only use your thread or spreadsheet, it can be easy to maybe miss a Bryce Harper.

If you use the fantrax draft room (great call on that one)....then you actively have to pass over Harper to select Betts/Turner or whoever.

I just want to know it was an intentional thing...and not an oversight....cause if it's an oversight, that's a disaster of a way to kick things off.

Also, for any new owners, there may be teams in the league who have holes at certain positions who could offer other guys in a trade. If any of you want to draft a RF to trade to me, I'd pay well for one :)

Yep, exactly what Action Jackson said. I knew Harper was there, I chose not to take him. There was probably a better chance of me taking Charlie Blackmon than Harper haha.

It's a tough call actually, lots of talent out there. The only sure fire pick in Fantasy Baseball is Trout and I doubt anyone is going to give me him haha

Back