• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 MLB Off Season Thread

^ The only 2021 pick that has been traded is GH's 1st to Blueman. I say we return that 1st to the new team but give Blueman a compensation 1st.

Then we only have to deal with 2019/2020. Do we put all those picks in the dispersal draft too? (not sure how we'd do that though, as they're owned by teams and not just numbers like 2018.)

Last edited:
Before I post the player pool for the dispersal draft, here's the draft lottery.

lotteryFI2018.jpg

What should we do with future picks, in regards to the dispersal draft?

The 2018 picks are going into the draft but what do we do with 2019/2020/2021?

Future picks can't be part of the draft. They will all get future picks with their new teams.

Future picks can't be part of the draft. They will all get future picks with their new teams.

I think he's talking about traded future picks. The teams going into the dispersal draft own them now. Do we pretend they don't exist and kill them? I would hate to see them given back to the old team for nothing (ie: basically a comp pick).

I would put all the traded picks into the dispersal draft and let people select them whenever they like. They are tangible assets and were managed as such.

Actually, upon further thought, I'm with Ray. Future picks cannot be selected. Give them all back to the appropriate manager!!!

Editor's Note: Jonas had traded all of my future picks.

I was mostly just wondering what we were going to do with the picks, the traded picks being the biggest concern.

Yeah, it's an awkward case. I think what makes the most sense:
-All the new teams will get all their own picks by default for future drafts (2018 draft obviously all those picks will be chosen in the draft)
-Any acquired picks owned by the dispersed rosters are valuable assets and can be drafted. So, for example, Mindz owns hair's 2019 3rd round pick, that one can be drafted.
-Any picks owned by someone else of a dispersed team will be kept, but essentially added interspersed through the round. Or maybe we add them in a "supplemental round" partway through the round? So, for example, we simply declare that GH's 2019 1st rounder is the 11th overall pick in the round, and everyone else's picks get bumped back by 1?
-Any picks traded between teams who get dispersed obviously go away. So GH's 2019 2nd is owned by B21, since both teams are leaving, that picks goes away.

I think there's only a handful of "extra" picks that would need to be kept around in those situations (mostly GH's future traded picks), so we're probably not adding more than 1 pick per round. Is there a way on the site to store or give people "extra" picks for future drafts?

*thanks for the full list. Based on that:
-2019 Nuke 1st can be drafted
-2019 GH 2nd vanishes
-2019 GH 3rd turns into a compensation pick that's now the 11th pick of the 3rd round that year
etc...

I don't think there's a way to add or store extra picks for future drafts, but we can just make a thread with those picks and sticky it to keep track of it on here.

I also think we should start preparing rules, or at least come up with a general idea, for a potential 2019 expansion draft if we decide to go into this season with 17 teams.

Last edited:
I also think we should start preparing rules, or at lease come up with a general idea, for a potential 2019 expansion draft if we decide to go into this season with 17 teams.

Would be good to have general rules down so people don't try to tweak it too much to their specific roster at the time. I'd suggest something along the following lines
-I don't necessarily like the expansion team getting the first overall pick by default. I'd throw them into the lotto, though with as good or better odds of getting the top pick as anyone else.
-Going from 17 to 18, with a total roster size of 55, logically the new owner should probably draft 3 players from each team. Roughly speaking, it would be one major league player, and 2 minor league players (or maybe 1 minor leaguer + 1 bench bat).
-Although once you get to the bottom roster spots, those are more or less interchangeable. So maybe best if the new owner officially drafts 2 players from each team (to build to a roster of 34), and then we find a way to give them more picks to fill out the roster otherwise. We could even do something like give them an extra 2-3 picks per round of the draft, so at least they can fill out the bottom of their roster with players who weren't from anyone else's roster.
-The 2 choices for doing the draft I think would either be in a rounds format, where each team would protect, say 15 guys, then have one drafted from the team, then maybe you can protect another 10 guys, and then have someone else taken. Or the second option would be each team simply submitting a list of 20(ish?) keepers, and then they would pick 2 players from each team (maybe with limitations, so must be one major leaguer and one minor leaguer, one hitter and one pitcher, so that I don't lose 2 guys from my bullpen, for example)

I don't know where the limits should be. We don't want a Las Vegas situation where they come in, poach an insane amount of talent, and become the dominant force of the league. But we can't give them scrubs and expect to draw new interest.

A couple of other things to discuss:

- Should we make players with red flags eligible to be placed on the DL?

- Protected/unprotected lists.

These aren't necessarily things I'm for or against, just think it's a good time to bring up specifics to this league because there aren't many original managers left.

A couple of other things to discuss:

- Should we make players with red flags eligible to be placed on the DL?

- Protected/unprotected lists.

These aren't necessarily things I'm for or against, just think it's a good time to bring up specifics to this league because there aren't many original managers left.

-Red flags, I would say no. Although because we're not subbing out players mid-week, it doesn't come up too often, since teams are pretty good at getting guys on the DL immediately if they know they're missing any length of time. I think Fantrax is a little aggressive at marking the flags, too, where at the first sign of sniffles they have that marker down.

-Protected lists - I can go wither way with them. But especially if we want to use the fantrax drafting, I'd be fine with simply saying that we get 20 pro keepers and 30 minor league keepers, everyone else is cut. If you want your guy back, you have to redraft them.

The other one we should figure out is how to get people more aware of their roster violations. If you miss a guy aging out of the minors for a week, that's not a big deal - those game marks sneak up on you. But I know last year there were a few guys who were kept in the minors for like a month after they aged out.

I think the parameters laid out by UW are a good starting base for sure. Perhaps some tweaks with a bit more insight from other managers. I do prefer option two where we have a protected list and the new owner can draft anyone outside of that. I'd maybe even lower the protected limit to 15ish and limit to the selection process to one position loss only per team, as UW mentioned.

Agreed that we definitely cannot fill the team with scrubs and expect to attract anyone to the team. I don't want no scrubs. A scrub is a guy who can't get no love from me. Hangin' out the passenger side of his best friend's ride, trying to holla at me!

We should be able to move players with a red flag to IR. If a guy is hurt, he's hurt and our ability to account for that shouldn't be predicated on whether a team moves the player to IR or not. Once rosters expand, nobody moves over.

Should we do the protected/unprotected list before the dispersal draft and allow the new owners to pick out of there, as well?

Nah I think if we're going to keep the protected/unprotected lists intact, that goes toward the main draft and shouldn't be part of the dispersal draft.

Back