• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018 MLB Off Season Thread

Deckie007

First some business to take care of:

Payouts have been made. Due to the loss of one team last year - and our lack of adjustments to the structure we ended up with this (keeping percentages the same from 2016):

Montana - $432 (60%)
UW - $158 (22%)
Green Hornets - $93 (13%)
Hairnova - $37 (5%)

---

We may want to change the structure going forward, it's up to the league.

--

Next, and this is very important. We will not start the season without collecting all fees. Montana and I had to shake down various managers to get the entry fees well after the season ended. No more. No draft, no lottery, no trades - nothing until we get all entry fees for the upcoming season. This will guarantee we don't have any outstanding fees when the season starts as well as no surprises with managers bowing out at the last second.

Last edited:
Payouts should probably just rebalance a little bit. 4th should get the entry fee back, so rise to 40. Probably simplest is to set the payouts to 430/160/90/40 (improving payouts to 2nd and 4th, and dropping 1 and 3), Or could even make it a little more flat and take an extra 10$ from Montana, I mean 1st place, and give it to 3rd, setting it to 420/160/100/40.

Thanks again for all you guys did to chase people down. Agreed that payment should come early. I know people are good for it, but better to get things done early and let everyone focus on the season. Hopefully everyone will be back :)

Honestly, if we're moving things around payout wise, Id love to see 2nd place be the big beneficiary. I thought one of the more interesting aspects of this season was the shootout between GH/Hairnova/UW for second overall.

End of the day, I realize many only care about winning the whole thing.....but I think having a substantial increase in 2nd could make more teams interested in really scrapping it out for second overall down the stretch.

/2 cents.

Stick with the classic payout for first....bump second significantly and mildly reduce 3rd & 4th, so that there's a real incentive for those in the podium race to push for 2nd.

Last edited:
if we're moving things around payout wise, Id love to see 2nd place be the big beneficiary.

Was going to say something basically along these lines. Definitely want to make 2nd Place something people are really striving for. Without doing the maths, was thinking something along the lines of 400-250-75-FREE. (Or perhaps 425-225-75-FREE).

$440 (down from $455 originally)
$220 (up from $160)
$40 (Free Entry)
$20 (Half off)

Actually works pretty bang on, in terms of rounded out payments.

1st is (61%), 2nd gets a nice big bump, third you still win free entry the next year...and 4th gets a half off discount.

Main thing being tho, we infuse a real incentive for people to go all out for one of the top two spots.

Last edited:
I just paid for next season.

Me too.

For payouts, I think going 420-200 for 1 and 2 makes the most sense. And then that leaves 100 for the next 2, which maybe makes sense to split 80/20? Then you get 420-200-80-20, and enough jump between each position that it matters. Although part of me does feel that 4th should get up to the 40$ level to make their money back, but that does lead to it being flat somewhere on the curve (the best with that would likely be 420-180-80-40, where at least each amount is double the next).

We already just subtracted $23 from 1st.....(while only taking $7 from 2nd, $7 from third and $3 from 4th.

So further dinging the top prize to pay out guys the winner beat, doesn't make a whole lot of sense....whole purpose of the league is to win, afterall.

League standard for first has always been ~60%...and I think altering that after the fact would be kinda wonky.

I just thought for competitive purposes....taking the 2nd-4th money and maybe making a more serious prize for 2nd might make things more interesting down the stretch for those in the hunt...

If people are keen to keep significant payouts for 3rd & 4th....may as well just leave it as is.

As the guys who just finished 3rd & 4th, so benefit from how it currently is......I'm curious to hear GH & Hairnovas opinions. Whether they prefer it as is, or 2nd having a fatter prize instead.

Also, I know in the summer we talked about getting people's rosters compliant in the off-season, in regards to end of season DL (ie. I have 4 guys on my DL now above the roster limits). Did we get a consensus on when we wanted to enforce that? I do believe we should have a date well before the draft for teams to get everyone off their DL - I think what's likely most fair would be to set a date like Dec 1 to get all teams down to the 55 roster limit, and then after that if you add more players in trades, you just have to decide the final roster by March?

Also, I know in the summer we talked about getting people's rosters compliant in the off-season, in regards to end of season DL (ie. I have 4 guys on my DL now above the roster limits). Did we get a consensus on when we wanted to enforce that? I do believe we should have a date well before the draft for teams to get everyone off their DL - I think what's likely most fair would be to set a date like Dec 1 to get all teams down to the 55 roster limit, and then after that if you add more players in trades, you just have to decide the final roster by March?

I like that idea. We are missing a manager so probably will push back the date a bit this year if we don't have a new owner by December.

Any potential candidates out there to replace braby?

Also, did we as a league figure out what to do with Ohtani? With weekly lineups I don't expect his batting to be an impact, but assuming Fantrax can handle it, I would imagine whoever owns him would have him either as a pitcher or util, and he only gets the points from that slot, right? Just want to make sure we know what's allowable, and what our rules are.

You would think that the best way for Fantrax to handle it is to create two profiles for him. One for pitching and one for hitting.

The question would then be... does whoever drafts him get both profiles or do they get drafted separately? I'd lean towards separately.

You would think that the best way for Fantrax to handle it is to create two profiles for him. One for pitching and one for hitting.

The question would then be... does whoever drafts him get both profiles or do they get drafted separately? I'd lean towards separately.

Having 2 profiles makes "sense", but then you get into the weird questions of does he take up 2 roster spots then? And obviously that reduces the value of either card, since they're each half a player then. But if there's only one card for him, then you'd obviously have to pick which slot to use him in, since obviously it wouldn't be fair for that team to get batting stats and have an extra DH slot for some games. But if he does have 2 cards, it wouldn't be fair to "force" whoever drafts him to use 2 roster spots on him, so if that's the way it's done we'd have to have them drafted separately.

If it's possible, I do think the best would be to have a single profile for him, and then each week you either slot him as a pitcher or as a hitter, and you only get the points for the spot you put him in. Although I guess the first step is to figure out what exactly the options that Fantrax allows would be.

2 profiles seems so simple. If you have the pitching version you use him as a pitcher. If you have the hitting version you use him as a hitter. Nothing else to worry about.

Back